Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Club Carlson Program Changes eff. Mar 15, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Please see post #20 for the official announcement from our CC rep.

CC rep confirms that changes occur March 15.

List of all 2014 Category Changes

Properties going from 6 to 7 (50k to 70k points):
Radisson Royal Hotel, Dubai
Radisson Blu Le Dokhan’s Hotel, Paris Trocadero
Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, Cannes
Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan Hotel, Paris Eiffel
Radisson Blu Hotel Champs Elysees, Paris
The May Fair (London)
Plaza on the River, London
art’otel, Amsterdam
Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow
Print Wikipost

Club Carlson Program Changes eff. Mar 15, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: all
Originally Posted by fenix8o0
The new level increase is absurd. The rate for redemption jumps by 40%. No other hotel program his this wide of margin for their top 2 levels.

I was thinking about picking up the US Bank card on my next AOR, but who knows now. That 85K bonus doesn't go that far anymore.
did you not see the hilton devaluation?? including the destruction of the VIP /amex/GLON awards that doubled??

Hotels went from 50k to 95k points a night
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
Originally Posted by pantanal
did you not see the hilton devaluation?? including the destruction of the VIP /amex/GLON awards that doubled??

Hotels went from 50k to 95k points a night
There is no doubt the Hilton devaluation was one of the worst, I was comparing the top two tiers. 50k > 70k is 40% where as 80k > 95k is less than 20%.

Moreover, hilton points are much easier to accumulate than CC.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:16 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by fenix8o0
The new level increase is absurd. The rate for redemption jumps by 40%. No other hotel program his this wide of margin for their top 2 levels.

I was thinking about picking up the US Bank card on my next AOR, but who knows now. That 85K bonus doesn't go that far anymore.
One historic fact worth noting is that CC redemption rates used to be higher than today's newly announced rates, with a top category priced at 90k points (with 10% discount for multiple nights). To me, 70k CC for a top-level hotel still feels like a fairly reasonable redemption, and IMO this devaluation is nowhere near as bad as HH and SPG have been over the last few years, especially considering how easy it has been to earn CC points.

Originally Posted by hobo13
The CC award chart makes little sense. Silly Podunk CIS props at cat 4 and then major European props at cat 5. But hey, I guess there can be opportunity in chaos.
I think that holds true for all chains. You do well only if you're able to pick and choose the hotels that are a good value on points (high demand periods, oddly mis-categorized properties, etc). You get horrible value out of every program if you have 2 weeks of vacation a year and expect to use points for every hotel you stay at ... your cpp value will be a fraction of that realized by someone who travels a lot and only uses hotel points where it makes sense.

Originally Posted by Happy
You forgot another mechanism that has been employed by other chains - introducing the Premium rooms and making ONLY premium rooms are available for award booking. The bad part is, the so-called premium room in many Club Carlson properties is NOTHING more than the standard room other than being "business" with slightly better furnishing but same room size, and a breakfast which in many cases, are not a buffet breakfast, but an "English breakfast" which is a set menu with options for egg and meat plus the usual pastries and beverages - way less than an American breakfast, not to mention a buffet breakfast.

That my friend, is where I see what Club Carlson would go in releasing award rooms. They have the models of HHonors and SPG to go by. Though in HHonors case, sometimes the premium rooms would be CHEAPER than standard rooms. Personally we have taken advantage of such a few times. However I do not see Club Carlson would behave like this - giving the Paris properties have zeroed out all standard rooms for the dates I have been looking at in the past few weeks. The Champs location had absolutely no rooms available for almost the whole October. Suddenly now there are 75K premium rooms available across all 3 properties after the announcement. Co-incident? I think NOT!
I know you've been very critical about Premium Rooms in the past, but IMO, the CC model has very little in common with HH. No doubt, there are numerous CC properties where premium rooms are 25sqm vs 22sqm, and have slippers and a bathrobe, BUT there are also many good values in the system. Truth be told, for my non-status friends and relatives I've been seeking out premium rooms at various properties. The Business rooms at the Ambassador (now gone) were lovely, and the free breakfast alone can be worth the extra points in some cities in Europe. Some hotels have large, junior suite-ish rooms, with a view, breakfast and club access, etc. In my stays last year, I would say the premium room at Ambassador, Malta, Corsica, and Istanbul were well worth the extra points. So, IMO, it's a situation of buyer beware rather than the large-scale premium room scam HH has pulled. I also haven't seen the systemic blocking of standard rooms you allege; I think Paris is now (sadly) a bad example, because CC has very, very few rooms there, and I could see the standard rooms being legitimately booked up. In most of my searches, there is very good standard room availability, and I often appreciate having the choice.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
It will be itneresting to see if we can reserve rooms in advance and lock the rates. (i.e. book farthest out and see if they allow you to change dates without changing the rate). Hyatt allowed that until feb 15.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:38 am

The London changes whilst not great do make sense, Plaza on the River and PP Riverbank were the same rate, but Plaza on the River is a much more plush hotel with bigger rooms (they're in the same building). Riverbank has gone down to 44,000 and Plaza on the River up to 70,000.

I've locked in a couple of nights at the Mayfair for 2015 - we'll see if I get charged more or not!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I was really surprised that carlson allowed me to book 6 nights in may 2015. Booked 6 nights for a total of 150k points @ Radisson Blu Hotel Champs Elysees, Paris.

I have 50k each left in two different accounts. I will have to use those up to lock in nice hotels, Probably cannes.

I'm glad I stayed at plaza on the river last summer. It was an absolutely fabulous redemption @ 50k points.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The category changes are outlined in red for hotel properties increasing one category level; and green for hotel properties decreasing at least one category level here at The Gate.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
+1 Hobo13. I can't understand the points difference between Cat. 2 vs. 3. It would make more sense to go 9--15--20--30--40--50(--unfortunately new 70.) Also, many "Podunk CIS's" are way overrated!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I am happy to see the ability to book suites & "premium" rooms--as long as the amount of extra points required is not excessive! Better yet, do as Marriott does by allowing upgraded rooms for either extra points or (normal points + $20 to $100 cash.)
In another thread I complained about the Radisson Blu's of Aruba & St. Martin offering points only when their very lowest room type is available. Even when they have plenty of rooms one or 2 steps better @ $48--$90 above the price of the lowest grade, NO point usage is allowed!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
I got the same email, but I don't see anything that says if it applies to any stays after the cutoff date or any bookings made after the cutoff date.

Does anybody know the answer to that?
From what i read, bookings at new rates can be done after 15th march for stays after reservations done on or after 1st May
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
India is the sweet spot now.
Very Certainly,specially with 3 hotels,2 country inn and suites hotels and 1 park inn, in Goa,I am itching to go for a family trip at 9000 points a room/night
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I was really surprised that carlson allowed me to book 6 nights in may 2015. Booked 6 nights for a total of 150k points @ Radisson Blu Hotel Champs Elysees, Paris.
That's why I'm so frustrated there is no CC in Europe.... the crazy NA Credit card programs ruining the game for the rest of the world in my opinion.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:13 pm

I'm hoping the CC representative that posted the other thread can come here and clarify when the rates will go up for bookings this summer or just after May 1st and what the details of March 15th and May 1st actually mean. I have 6 weeks of overseas travel (mostly in EU) this summer and I want to get everything locked down ASAP. Luckily I'll get my 40k anniversary points in the next few days.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:38 pm

40% increase and no improved benefit for paying Gold member !
Bad change for sure!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I have noticed that. I booked a (standard) award a long time ago, and when i want to make a change, standard room no longer available for award.
But paid standard room still available.
In the end i just decided to redeem premium instead.

Don't they have no "black-out" policy for award? You could try pushing the rep to honor it maybe? (I doubt it would work, the rep seems to be powerless)
"Enjoy free Award Nights starting at 9,000 points with no blackout dates on standard rooms."
Carlson Policy

edit: I just realized, maybe it's true they have no black-out, but they only have limited amount of rooms for award?
Originally Posted by Happy
However I do not see Club Carlson would behave like this - giving the Paris properties have zeroed out all standard rooms for the dates I have been looking at in the past few weeks. The Champs location had absolutely no rooms available for almost the whole October. Suddenly now there are 75K premium rooms available across all 3 properties after the announcement. Co-incident? I think NOT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.