Wiki Posts
Search

To Check-in Online or Not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt

So, I'm wondering about an upcoming stay (over the weekend) and the forum's thoughts on whether checking in online is worth it or not. I'll be arriving relatively early, so no real concern about that, but particularly curious about people's thoughts regarding upgrade chances via the computer vs. with a desk agent? (I'm Gold).

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:18 am

As it is quite hard to argue with a computer I would always prefer the front desk agent.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

Same here, I prefer to check in person. better chance of an upgrade or better room than online check in. In my experiences in the past, I've found that sweet talking to the front desk clerk can assure you a better room overall even if you have no status with the hotel chain.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:39 pm

Check-in in person and give them the $20 sandwich, guaranteed upgrade.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:07 pm

For mattress runs,is it possible to check in online for some hotel stays,when paying prepaid for the same,and not even showing up at the hotel ?
Anyone had any experinces about the same ?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Jasjot Sadana
For mattress runs,is it possible to check in online for some hotel stays,when paying prepaid for the same,and not even showing up at the hotel ?
I would be very interested to know about this!
Could use that for booking some category 1 hotels
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasjot Sadana
No direct experience with CC, but with other hotel chains it's quite specific in the T&Cs that you won't get credit if you online check-in, but fail to show up to collect a key...

(it's sort of like airlines as well, you can check-in online, but if you don't show up for your flight you won't get the miles...)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: Club Carlson
Originally Posted by craigthemif
No direct experience with CC, but with other hotel chains it's quite specific in the T&Cs that you won't get credit if you online check-in, but fail to show up to collect a key...

(it's sort of like airlines as well, you can check-in online, but if you don't show up for your flight you won't get the miles...)
Thats too bad. Was considering to book some category 1 hotels using 9.000 points just to get the stay toward Concierge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.