Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Current best offer (May 2019) 120,000 Radisson Reward points
https://www.radissonrewardsvisa.com/credit/offer.do?redirect=plat32172&lang=e
  • 10 points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases at participating Radisson Family of Hotels.2
  • 5 points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases everywhere else.2
  • 120,000 bonus points - receive 120,000 points after you spend $3,000 on your card within the first 90 days. 1

The cards offer a free DOMESTIC night certificate for every $10,000 spent on the card per cardholder year, up to 3 certificates per year, per card. At this time, the only way to ascertain membership year spend is to add it up on your statements or call the US BANK number on the back of the card and have the rep do the math. There is no "Spend Summary" to indicate your progress towards your free night certificates.
  • 40,000 renewal points each year when you renew your card.3
  • Earn up to 3 free nights! Earn one Free Night E-Cert for each $10,000 in spend (up to $30,000), then renew your card by paying the Annual Fee.4

Many reports here indicate that the norm is that annual renewal points post to Club Carlson two months after the date of the Visa statement that includes the annual fee. Because of this, do not use the date that the points post to calculate your cardmembership spending for the free night certificates.
Print Wikipost

CC visa annual 40000 points bonus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Did you mean filing complain with CFPB? A friend is still waiting for his KE card's bonus and it has been 5 months already when US Bank kept telling him it would post. May be he should file a complain with CFPB instead of being run around by the bozos at US Bank.

Apology cert is worldwide. We got ours first week of August last year out of the blue. Then later found out this is the apology cert.

There is also a good for US domestic only cert after $10K spend within a year though I have no clue whether it is the calendar year or anniversary year. I also got one such but honestly cannot figure out why I got one. Hence I dont understand how US Bank counts the 12 months period. No complaint though.
wish the certs don't expire

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Mar 3, 2016 at 6:30 pm
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
1)

The only reason many still do the Club Carlson cards is the 5x so people MS on it but the advantage has largely gone after the loss of 241 and the 40% and more increase on the pts required to redeem a standard room.

When you put $10K on a 2x cash rebate no fee card, you essentially get $200 cash back - that can buy you a US domestic hotel night where the 40K Club Carlson bonus pts would get. Essentially you are paying $95 for the 40K pts and $200 for the domestic free night cert that you must spend at a Club Carlson property. It is not as flexible as it seems at the surface if you really take a hard look of it.
Happy, don't forget that with $10K spend you also get 50K in spend points, so to add to your cash back comparison I am trading $200 for 90K points. I have used them in Europe during peak dates where nights are E300.(Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin, etc) I am concierge and find Radisson blu very comparable to high end hilton. And yes I agree they don't have any luxury properties.
They still have 241 rates.

Forgot to add that I also have citi reserve with free night after $10k spend, no additional points and I was able to stay at Waldorf Astoria and Conrad at rates north of $300.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Happy, don't forget that with $10K spend you also get 50K in spend points, so to add to your cash back comparison I am trading $200 for 90K points. I have used them in Europe during peak dates where nights are E300.(Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin, etc) I am concierge and find Radisson blu very comparable to high end hilton. And yes I agree they don't have any luxury properties.
They still have 241 rates.

Forgot to add that I also have citi reserve with free night after $10k spend, no additional points and I was able to stay at Waldorf Astoria and Conrad at rates north of $300.
You are right I forgot the 50K pts earned from the $10K spend. Still, with 70K for a standard room at Radisson Blu in many European cities, it just does not cut it for us because HH properties even at mid range generally are nicer than most Radisson Blu, yet costs fewer points! The P+C rates at HH also are better value.

Status does play a role. CC Gold from CC is nothing. HH Gold from CC, at least gives you a guaranteed breakfast and often lounge access - we were 100% scored in lounge access on all HH properties in Europe when we were just Golds. We only had one night at Hilton Tokyo we had breakfast only no lounge because Japanese were rule sticklers when we were not in Exec room but the next day they moved us to Exec room for the remaining 2 nights so we had lounge access. The breakfast was a elaborate buffet at the lobby restaurant fwiw. We had full lounge access, upgrade to Harbor view room at Conrad Hilton. Club Carlson has a huge void in Asia except the concentration in India. Very odd.

The benefits of CC Golds ranged from a few colorful gummy bears on a very artsy display at d'Artotel Cologne, to a single peach on a glass plate, (Stuttgart), to a tiny tiny paper case containing 5 "local" coffee candies at Radisson Amsterdam, to, very surprisingly, a 750ml red wine at Park Plaza County Hall in London. Never a complementary breakfast.

We will keep the cards till the next AFs but most likely we would not renew them if the program does not show improvement in the coming months.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Do you never see GOLD POINTS® + CASH rates? After the demise of last night free on award stays, these are some of the best per-point values I come across in the Club Carlson program.
Yes I do. No I dont think they are the best value out there, unless you insist to stay in a Club Carlson properties.

For our travels we found HH P+C when available, offer the best value, and the HH properties treat their Golds far better than any other chains to their mid-tier elites. We almost stayed at the Radisson property at Istanbul last March (the one by the Bosphorus) but we ended up staying at Conrad and Hilton Bosphorus instead. They were either 30K pts or 12K + below $40. Full lounge access, full restaurant buffet breakfasts. And Hilton Bosphorus has the great history that goes with it. We had similar value this year at the Hilton property by the river at Vienna. The Hilton FCO while at 50K now, still is a good value comparing to the Club Carlson property near Termini. Hilton provides scheduled free shuttle to Rome proper. Lounge is not very good but still offers some amenities. Restaurant breakfast is guaranteed for Golds. Ditto Hilton CDG and MAD.

Last year we had to change our travel path in order to burn the piles of Club Carlson points - on one trip we changed all our HH bookings to use Club Carlson properties - Radisson Dusseldorf, Park Plaza Trier, Radisson Frankfurt. Only Radisson Dusseldorf gave some sort of recognition - a plate with one pear one apple were sent to our room shortly after the front desk staff saw us returned in the late afternoon. No recognition and no post of stay from Park Plaza Trier. Radisson Frankfurt is a poor choice over Hilton Mainz. We regretted it.

As I said, for US, the draw of Club Carlson chain started with the 241 even though we HAD to make it worked into our travel path. I do not mind the loss of 241 redemption, but I do have issue with they raised 40% or more on the redemption point levels. AS for the 241 pay rates, I never find anything that work for us.

Each person has his/ her own travel needs. I am sure some of you feel Club Carlson is still worth it. To us and many of our friends, it has become a very borderline program.

Surprisingly now with the change of point expiration, Choice has become a viable option because they have some European properties that are acceptable 3 stars and cost far less than Club Carlson in points. The draw back is, you cannot book longer than 30 or 60 days out but there is a workaround to it.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 4, 2016 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Do you never see GOLD POINTS® + CASH rates? After the demise of last night free on award stays, these are some of the best per-point values I come across in the Club Carlson program.
Yes I do. No I dont think they are the best value out there, unless you insist to stay in a Club Carlson properties.
Sigh. I never said they were the best value out there across different programs. It seems like you actually agree with me on a lot of my points but just don't acknowledge it.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
FYI. My annual fee was billed in mid-December. Paid immediately.

Haven't made any other charges. My 40,000 anniversary points are showing as pending now 4+ months later.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jphripjah
FYI. My annual fee was billed in mid-December. Paid immediately.

Haven't made any other charges. My 40,000 anniversary points are showing as pending now 4+ months later.
This was what I did when my 40K stuck for 3 months - I made a $1 AMZN GC purchase on the card in order to kick out a statement. Then when statement closed I found out US Bank considered $1 was too small a charge and issued a credit to adjust the balance down to zero. Nonetheless it generated a statement hence liberated the 40K.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sure, but there's a principle here. the terms say that you earn the 40,000 points when you renew and pay the annual fee. The terms don't say you have to say pay the annual fee and then make a subsequent charge.

The terms also say please give us 6 to 8 weeks from the AF due date for the points to post. Nothing about points posting based on subsequent statements being generated.

I sent them an email, threatened to file a complaint with CFPB, asked for an extra 10k points due to the delay.

Will let you guys know what happens.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jun 7, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old May 3, 2016, 12:17 pm

The response to my email:

Our records indicate that the 40,000 renewal bonus is pending on your account. However, in order for reward points to be awarded, a statement must be generated on your account. Since there has been no activity on your account since 12/21/2015, a statement has not been processed recently. Please make a purchase with your credit card so that a statement will generate on 5/19/2016. The transaction needs to post to your account in order for a statement to process; therefore, please make a purchase three to five days prior to the next statement date.

While we understand that this in no way makes up for the inconvenience or confusion that this matter may have created, we have credited your account with 7,500 reward points You will see these bonus rewards reflected on your statement within two billing periods.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:32 pm

Received 40k points 2 months after paying the annual fee. Today, to my surprise, I received an ecertifcate for one night stay for any Club Carlson in the US.

Never made the 10k spending for the year unless the certificate is for something else.

In fact, after the devaluation of 2 for 1, I only paid my annual fee.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
40K Points

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The response to my email:

Our records indicate that the 40,000 renewal bonus is pending on your account. However, in order for reward points to be awarded, a statement must be generated on your account. Since there has been no activity on your account since 12/21/2015, a statement has not been processed recently. Please make a purchase with your credit card so that a statement will generate on 5/19/2016. The transaction needs to post to your account in order for a statement to process; therefore, please make a purchase three to five days prior to the next statement date.

While we understand that this in no way makes up for the inconvenience or confusion that this matter may have created, we have credited your account with 7,500 reward points You will see these bonus rewards reflected on your statement within two billing periods.
I had the same issue and I called three months straight. "It is in pending status, so it will hit when the statement closes". Finally talked to a supervisor who told me it was in pending status, however, because there was no activity, a statement did not generate. He issued a $5 credit on my account and a statement will generate this month and my points will be awarded. I got the 7500 additional points for the inconvenience too.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
A family member also paid AF in Dec. 40k finally posted a few days ago. No other transaction in the interim.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
A family member also paid AF in Dec. 40k finally posted a few days ago. No other transaction in the interim.
Same here. Hopefully they fixed the issue.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
40K One-Time Bonus

Did anyone else get a letter saying that because of all the confusion surrounding the annual 40K bonus (even for those that chose not to re-up on the annual fee for the credit card), they were going to deposit 40K points into your account? I got this letter. However, the points have not shown up in my Club Carlson account yet, but I'm hoping that when my next no-annual fee credit card statement is printed, it will generate the bonus points.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: Various
My husband got the letter last week. He downgraded to the no annual fee card at renewal time last year. No recent activity on the account. The 40,000 points referenced in the letter were not in the account the day we received the letter, but they posted to his account a couple days ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.