Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Style Vienna Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Radisson Blu Style Vienna Review

We seem to be lacking a dedicated thread to the RB Style in Vienna, so here goes.

General Info: I stayed at the RB Style for 3 days in December; booked a Standard room, upgraded to Superior Twin (without breakfast) based on Gold status, used points to pay for breakfast/minibar option over three days.

Location: The location of the RB Style is excellent and within short walking distance of most of Old Town Vienna. For location alone, I would stay at the RB Style over the RB Palais.

I think it was a 5 minute walk to the Hofburg, 10 minutes to Karlsplatz, adjacent to Cafe Central, and one or two blocks from the underground subway station. Cafe Demel is one street behind the RB Style.

Rooms: The hotel rooms themselves were slightly small, but quite comfortable with tall ceilings and fairly large bathrooms. The bathrooms were also equipped with wonderful rainshowers and Superior rooms were equipped with Anne Semonin toiletries.

Turndown service each night concluded with a Mozart chocolate truffle. The minibar was refreshed daily and included several beers along with fruit juices and sodas.

Additionally, the WiFi signal was strong from my room. The gym, although tiny, included complimentary bottled water as well.

I was considering upgrading to a junior suite, but was told that the junior suite only sleeps two. An additional cot would run 59 euros/day. My welcome gift also included champagne for two, a nice touch.

Negatives: The biggest downside was the occasional nightly party being held in the downstairs lounge. Despite my room being located on the 5th floor, I could hear heavy bass being pumped through the hotel.

Also during the stay, there were some odd holding charges assessed against my credit card, but these were cleared and my credit card charged the correct amount on checkout.

Here's the hotel by day:

And at night:

Lobby:

Superior Twin hotel room:

Superior Twin hotel bathroom:

Last edited by drzoidberg; Dec 30, 2013 at 11:31 pm
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

The highlight for me each morning was the delicious buffet breakfast at the in-hotel Sapori restaurant. It is available from 6am-10:30am weekdays.

Ordinarily, the breakfast would cost 23 euros per person. I elected to pay 20,000 Carlson points for breakfast over 3 days along with the daily minibar refresh.

I'd say the breakfast was superior to the one I had at the Radisson Blu Bosphorus, due to a larger number of heartier foods and fairly extensive cooked-to-order menu (fried/boiled sausage, steak, pancakes, omelettes, scrambled eggs, etc..). The waitresses(?) were very friendly and the breakfast area was a beautiful place to eat each morning.

Each morning I had a double shot of espresso, cappuccino, delicious smoked salmon with honey mustard, fresh croissants, kiwis, steak, muesli, and multi-vitamin juice. My only complaint was that they didn't serve Sachertorte at breakfast.

Breakfast area:

One of my breakfasts:

Croissants:

More dessert:

Starch table:

Smoked salmon, cold cuts:

Yogurt, muesli:

Juices:
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

In conclusion, I'd say the Radisson Blu Style is one of the best Radisson Blu properties I have stayed at. Management was friendly and very helpful.

Its excellent location, rainshower and slightly superior super buffet breakfast make it better than the Radisson Blu Bosphorus I visited this past summer.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I agree that this is a nice hotel in a very good location but as always YMMV...at least it did for me. Room I got was a corner room which was very small and evidently one of two rooms in the hotel that did not have a shower or even a shower fixture/glass splash partition in the bathtub. (Didn't find out till I was at dinner with coworkers that not all rooms are set up like this. Front desk confirmed during checkout that I had gotten one of two rooms without any shower option.) Only way I could shower was to sit in the tub and basically try and hose myself down with the shower head that was attached to a very short hose. Plus the tub was right in front of a window with no real privacy shade...thankfully I am not the most bashful person in the world and during the times I showered I just left the bathroom light off so I wouldn't be on full display to the office across the street. Also did not like their way of trying to upsell an upgraded room with points at check-in....which as a Gold I probably should have been given anyway. I personally liked the LeMeridien much better but as far as Club Carlson options go this is a pretty good hotel. Not sure if it is worth being a Cat. 6 hotel though.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christianj
I agree that this is a nice hotel in a very good location but as always YMMV...at least it did for me. Room I got was a corner room which was very small and evidently one of two rooms in the hotel that did not have a shower or even a shower fixture/glass splash partition in the bathtub. (Didn't find out till I was at dinner with coworkers that not all rooms are set up like this. Front desk confirmed during checkout that I had gotten one of two rooms without any shower option.) Only way I could shower was to sit in the tub and basically try and hose myself down with the shower head that was attached to a very short hose. Plus the tub was right in front of a window with no real privacy shade...thankfully I am not the most bashful person in the world and during the times I showered I just left the bathroom light off so I wouldn't be on full display to the office across the street. Also did not like their way of trying to upsell an upgraded room with points at check-in....which as a Gold I probably should have been given anyway. I personally liked the LeMeridien much better but as far as Club Carlson options go this is a pretty good hotel. Not sure if it is worth being a Cat. 6 hotel though.
That sounds terrible! My condolences.

Your room should have cost less.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I am booked here for 5 nights in a standard room. I hope they offer me the 20k points for breakfast deal. I'd probably be ok paying 40k points if they include breakfast for all 5 days.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:11 pm

I emailed the hotel and they are asking for 120 euro per night to upgrade to junior suite with breakfast. The breakfast would have been nice but given the great lcoation of this hotel, I don't think paying that much for the upgrade makes sense. I"ll just have to go with the nor1 upgrade
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Anyone stay on an award night? Gold benies? Anything to tip the scales to use free night certs here rather than blowing a ton of Hyatt points for the PH.

Cheers -
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Anyone stay on an award night? Gold benies? Anything to tip the scales to use free night certs here rather than blowing a ton of Hyatt points for the PH.

Cheers -
Here's my review of the Radisson Blu Style Hotel, Vienna, Austria from 2 years ago (stayed on an award as gold).

We liked the hotel primarily for its location, which we found ideal. It is a nice hotel but I wouldn't expect much in the way of benefits or special treatment as gold.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:52 pm

Thanks -- assuming no breakfast?

Last time in VIE I was a bit spoiled at the Hotel Imperial as an SPG PLT in a HUGE room(s) with butler service and all the wonders that the room came with (albeit only after complaints to SPG re failure to provide listed benies).

Cheers

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Here's my review of the Radisson Blu Style Hotel, Vienna, Austria from 2 years ago (stayed on an award as gold).

We liked the hotel primarily for its location, which we found ideal. It is a nice hotel but I wouldn't expect much in the way of benefits or special treatment as gold.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Last time in VIE I was a bit spoiled at the Hotel Imperial as an SPG PLT in a HUGE room(s) with butler service and all the wonders that the room came with (albeit only after complaints to SPG re failure to provide listed benies).

Cheers
As a Hyatt Diamond why not try the Park Hyatt?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Correct - we received no complimentary breakfast.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I stayed here as Concerige received a 2 room suite, although small rooms, and large bathroom. Welcome bottle of champagne and pastries. The nice thing about breakfast was it was cooked to order. I liked modern decor.

But the best thing about the hotel is the location. Very close to subway too. And it has a fantastic cafe next door that is very reasonable.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am really impressed with the Radisson Blu Style. It far exceeded my expectations. I did my research before the trip. I've stayed in every Starwoo property in Vienna as well as the Hilton and a hotel adjacent to St Stephens. If you plotted those hotels on a map, you'd see that I focus on staying in the core of the city. Radisson Blu Style is an even better location for what I like to see, the historic section of the inner core. It is just two blocks from Demels, my favorite coffee shop, an easy walk to Albertinas passing the stables for the Royal Lipizzan stallions enroute, and more.

The hotel is so discrete it is easy to miss the sign. Be sure you know the address to tell the taxi driver. Inside, it has comfortable seating to the right, and seated check in desks to the left. Ahead is a beautifully decorated and very comfortable lounge with lots of intimate seating. I would have liked higher wattage lights, but I am sure their designer chose the dim lighting for effect. There are a few tables outside, mostly used by smokers.

I had thought thru my room choice in advance. I've stayed in a handful of Radisson Blus and have a common complaint with each. The rooms are incredibly small. Each has had entry level rooms of just 18 - 20 sq meters. The standard room here is 25 sq meters. Still, I preferred larger. I decided to book a premium award, which guaranteed me a room that was 30 sq meters. It also included breakfast, which the standard room does not. I then requested a standby award of a junior suite. Because I booked a premium award the upgrade would cost 27 euro instead of 57 euros with a standard award. We were given a junior suite on arrival, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a beautifully decorated room, very contemporary, but not over the top. The bath has a walk in shower separate from the tub. There was plenty of comfortable seating, one group around a coffee table, and two seats on either side of a small table. There is a Nespresso as well as a large screen flat panel TV. It's a corner room with large windows to two sides letting in lots of light.

As others have commented, beverages are free from the mini bar. There was nothing alcoholic in our mini bar but they were generous with one bottle each iced tea coke, diet coke, several juices, sparkling water, and still water.

We definitely want to return to this hotel when we return to Vienna.
+1.

The only thing I want to add is that the hotel is generous with upgrades. I asked about a Gold upgrade at check in and was offered a superior room (standard room booked with points).

I asked if junior suite was possible and I was offered that for 30k points for two nights. The junior suite is really nice with a perfect sitting area and a large bathroom. The minibar was included but it is a small minibar with mostly fruit juice and water. There were a couple of beers but not much premium alcohol.

Of course if the hotel is sold out, you won't be able to score an upgrade. Do check in advance if a junior suite is available and if it is then offer a tip at check in (I offered 20 euros).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:35 pm

I did try the PH Vienna for one night and ended up in the Ambassador suite -- holy cr@p . I moved ~200 yards down the road to the Rad Blu Style Vienna. Wow ---- what a difference. As a gold I was told that with the hotel being "booked" that I was stuck in a standard room with 2 single beds (not my booked bed choice). Upgrades aren't guaranteed but it really was a below standard room -- especially when compared to the "very generous" with upgrades comments above. Staff was quite unhelpful too in my one interaction outside of check in/out (one interaction bc of concierge issue). I asked about transportation to the airport and was told that the cost of the metro and the express train to the airport would be similar (not really though) to that of a taxi and that I should take a taxi. I asked about my preferred option, via bus from near Volkstheater (10 min walk from the hotel), and the bellhop said he had no idea what I was talking about. I ended up talking to the bellhop because 1) there was no concierge, and 2) the front desk agent I was talking to walked away mid-conversation after telling me to just take a taxi.

Other nits:
The safe seemed to be on top of a heater of some sort, or the fridge was producing steel mill type heat (?) An exaggeration of course but my camera should not have been that warm to the touch after a night in a safe.

No concierge at all over my 2 nights. This seems to be a Carlson issue more than a VIE Style issue but in a tourist city, not having a concierge a PITA.

First Club Carlson hotel not on my personal recommended/would visit again list.

Cheers

Cheers
Originally Posted by christianj
As a Hyatt Diamond why not try the Park Hyatt?
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Correct - we received no complimentary breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.