Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson Blu Ambassador Opera, Paris - Left July 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM

I just found out that this hotel is leaving the chain on July 1st. Unfortunately, we have a family trip that will have 4 award rooms in about a week.

Currently, I am still trying to find information if the hotel will honor the reservations that we have made. The hotel said yes, but I do not know if they really understood that I was discussing award nights and not paid stays.

I am still on the phone with Club Carlson - who says that they have no notice that the hotel is leaving the chain.

Here is the press release from Marriott: http://news.marriott.com/2013/06/mar...-in-paris.html
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Three night award stay coming up in Oct - wondering the same as above. (a) Hoping they'll honor the rez or (b) if not (a), maybe they'll bump us up to an upgraded room at the Blu Champs.

Funny thing is they are still accepting booking on the Rad website for the Opera for my Oct dates. Weird.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

After about a half hour on the phone with Club Carlson, we really had no solution as Club Carlson really did not know what was going on. They tried to talk to someone at the hotel, but of course nobody would be available until Monday. As most of the award nights were sold out in Paris, we grabbed the nights that were available.

The bad thing is that we had to add one room to the award. I am going to ask Club Carlson to refund part of the points for the inconvenience.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Have an award stay coming up at this hotel next week. No word from the hotel or CC, so I will assume everything is good to go.

Very strange that CC has no information about this and the hotel is still bookable on the CC website (including Cash&Points bookings, but as far as I could tell, there's no availability for standard and premium awards).
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:18 pm

and thus continues the decline of the Carlson portfolio of hotels.....

This is a big loss for Carlson in Paris; this was arguably the best hotel in Paris in the chain, with large rooms (for European standards) and probably the most centrally located.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
What a shame! I agree, this was the best and best-located of the Carlson properties in Paris.

I can't imagine a situation in which Marriott isn't required to honor reservations made prior to 1 July, however they were booked (cash or points, guaranteed or prepaid, discounted or rack, etc.). In other words, I would be shocked if they don't honor all existing reservations.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
and thus continues the decline of the Carlson portfolio of hotels.....

This is a big loss for Carlson in Paris; this was arguably the best hotel in Paris in the chain, with large rooms (for European standards) and probably the most centrally located.
At first I was not so sure of the property but after reading the Marriott news release carefully I finally saw the mentioning of "gourmet restaurant, 16 Haussmann." So this is real. How sad!

I agree this is a big loss for Club Carlson in Paris. IME, their Deluxe rooms are very comfortable, Standard rooms adequate. The location is excellent--an easy 3-minute walk in either direction to a Metro entrance on bd. Haussmann. The staff at the front desk and the concierge desk are friendly and helpful. It's a hotel I would love to go back to.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:13 pm

Wow what timing. I just reserved 2 nights here with the Club Carlson CC, but not until next Spring.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Peninsula

I can't imagine a situation in which Marriott isn't required to honor reservations made prior to 1 July, however they were booked (cash or points, guaranteed or prepaid, discounted or rack, etc.). In other words, I would be shocked if they don't honor all existing reservations.
From a points standpoint, the contract for the booking is between Carlson and the person who booked it; not the individual hotel. As long as Carlson has already paid the hotel for the "free" stay, then they would honor it. If Carlson has not, and has no way of adequately reimbursing the hotel for the point stays after it leaves the chain, then the hotel can easily not honor the booking.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Club Carlson did answer my tweet and confirmed that the hotel is leaving the chain on July 1st.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Personally, I don't find the location all that great unless you want to do a lot of shopping in the Galleries. Our stay at the hotel was average at best and I also got food poisoning here, so I'm not going to miss this property, but it seems many other FTers seem to hold this hotel in high regard.

There are plenty of other CC hotels in the Paris area as well, just food for thought.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
Personally, I don't find the location all that great unless you want to do a lot of shopping in the Galleries.

There are plenty of other CC hotels in the Paris area as well, just food for thought.
I've stayed at all the CC hotels in Paris, and I think you are far under-estimating and over-simplifying the great location of this hotel. It's the most centrally located hotel in Paris, and makes walking to anything fairly easy (and anything not in walking distance can easily be accessed by the Metro station a few steps away). The Lourve and most of the other museums are all less than a 15 minute walk away. While the other hotels in Paris are nice, their locations dont lend itself to doing any walking and require the metro. Further more, if you plan on spending a night on the town, since the metro's stop at 1am, you're stuck with a very expensive taxi ride since most of the nice bars/clubs are nowhere near the other CC hotels.

With all that being said, I did find the staff to be consistently rude and less than stellar when it came to any kind of help. However, the rooms were by far the largest of all the CC hotels in Paris and it's location was what brought me back.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I talked to Club Carlson today and they told me that the award nights that I previously had booked would be honored. Of course, I had changed our hotel over the weekend, so that is a moot point for me. I am still waiting to see if they would reinstate some of the additional points that we spent.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hotel is now bookable on Marriott website for revenue stays.

For those w/ CC award stays at the property, if it were me I'd get something in writing saying they'll honor the award stay. You really don't want to get to Paris & find out they won't.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:18 pm

I wonder if the new hotel affords you the same status benefits that you would have got with CC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.