Club Carlson Credit Card Free Night

Old May 24, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: all
Club Carlson Credit Card Free Night

Does anyone know if you can leverage your CC card to book 1+1(free) for someone else or do you have to be checking in specifically?

Meaning..can i make a reservation with my points and my CC Visa card for a friend and put their name in the reservation

Anyone done this?
Old May 24, 2013, 8:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pantanal
Does anyone know if you can leverage your CC card to book 1+1(free) for someone else or do you have to be checking in specifically?

Meaning..can i make a reservation with my points and my CC Visa card for a friend and put their name in the reservation

Anyone done this?
You cannot do this. You have to be physcally staying to get the free night. When you make the booking, you come to a point where you are asked to give the name of the person who is staying. Once you do so, you are blocked from the second night free.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Anyone done this?
There is a way to do it. It is a situation of YMMV, but booking the room in the name of the credit card holder and then having an additional guest listed (in the comments section later if need be) has worked in conjunction with a faxed credit card charge authorization for the room nights.

It wouldn't have been worth the hassle for us but the circumstances were a confluence of disrupted travel plans.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 24, 2013 at 9:01 pm
Old May 25, 2013, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is a way to do it. It is a situation of YMMV, but booking the room in the name of the credit card holder and then having an additional guest listed (in the comments section later if need be) has worked in conjunction with a faxed credit card charge authorization for the room nights.

It wouldn't have been worth the hassle for us but the circumstances were a confluence of disrupted travel plans.
That is exactly what i thought "MAY" work

thanks
Old May 25, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I am planning to try this for sister and friend,
reserved 2 nights at a Radisson, one points, one free..

I noticed this Rad highlights a kiosk check-in system
which may make it possible.

If that seems to be a problem,
I will just check in and give the key to sister,
and not physically check out on departure.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the free night also work on Pt + Cash booking?

First of all, I dont know how Club Carlson works when it comes to Point + Cash booking.

Does it work the same way as SPG (the cash is paid at the hotel level, no payment upfront), or the same way as IHG (the cash is essentially applied to point purchase and then full points are deducted at booking, refund back to points at cancellation)?

Secondly, does the free night benefit only apply to full point redemption or it also applies to point + cash (only the pt option would be "free?

Thank you for anyone who has the answers to post.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Happy
First of all, I dont know how Club Carlson works when it comes to Point + Cash booking.

Does it work the same way as SPG (the cash is paid at the hotel level, no payment upfront), or the same way as IHG (the cash is essentially applied to point purchase and then full points are deducted at booking, refund back to points at cancellation)?
The SPG way, or at least it doesn't work the ICHG way where the cash portion is returned just in points when you cancel before the cancellation penalty deadline hits.

I don't have any experience to yet answer the following:

Secondly, does the free night benefit only apply to full point redemption or it also applies to point + cash (only the pt option would be "free?

Old May 28, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

It is only applied to a straight points redemption.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Has anybody tried it? I will not be present and trying to book a stay for my family member who doesn't have the card. Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by gv111
Has anybody tried it? I will not be present and trying to book a stay for my family member who doesn't have the card. Thanks in advance.

It could work if you make the reservation under your name and have your family member listed as additional guest with a comment saying he/she will be checking in early. The free night is not tied to the credit card where you have to use the CC card to get the 2nd night free and the room can tech be charged to your family members card (you could have missed your flight The front desk doesn't really see/care that you are getting the 2nd night free because of the card and you are not required to present your CC credit card anyway.

ETA: You don't tech need to fax an authorization form either-you can make the reservation using any credit card and any card (family members) can be presented at check in. The free night is automatically applied for just being a cardholder-there is no requirement to use that card for the stay.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:53 am
Original Poster

i will try it and let you guys know how it worked out
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
i will try it and let you guys know how it worked out
So did it work?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

yes it works
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
yes it works
^ Awesome, thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

when you make a booking with an account associated with the card, the redemption is automatically adjusted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.