Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by anxiousone
Sorry, stopped checking back here after a few days.
Yes, there are too many 'good' hotels in bangkok at good rates, but not all hotels measure up.
In the end it was a rhetorical question, as 100usd for the club room was value for me when comparing with others in my list; versus booking a normal room and hoping for an upgrade.
As it is will see and post back if any recognition is granted based on being a mere Gold.
OK, that sounds fair. I'm not getting anything near those prices during dates I have in Bangkok; about $185 USD all-in for the business class room.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:32 pm

I'm here now. I had booked a Grand Deluxe room for two nights and was given the option to request an upgrade to a Grand Premier with breakfast and executive lounge access for B557/night. I received an email the day before that it had cleared.

My room is lovely on the 21st floor with a large window I can see out from the soaking tub in the bathroom. There's also a tv to watch while you soak. I had a welcome fruit pate and fresh flowers when I arrived. Large selection of amenities in the bathroom, and 5 bottles of water with "complimentary" tags.

One odd thing - the desk is well equipped with a mini stapler, paper clips, ruler, etc. However, only pencils (no pens)

As others have said the breakfast is amazing. Jamon Serrano, dim sum, smoked salmon, pastries. Yes, there are cheaper options in Bangkok, but same is true of the high end brunch buffets in Vegas - it all depends on what your desires and plans for the day are.

The executive lounge has two hours for tea in the afternoon and a two hour cocktail hour. The room also includes pressing two items per day at no charge.

All in with taxes, I paid B9000 for the two nights in the upgraded room. To me this was well worth it as a solo female traveler on my first trip to Bangkok trying to recover from jet lag at the beginning of a three week trip. It's comforting to know that when the driver I hired for a day of sightseeing drops me off, I can relax here with a cocktail at no additional cost if I'm too tired to venture out.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:17 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Until January 7, 2018, all in-house guests get 50% for dining at "27 Bites". We took advantage of this offer last night and had a nice dinner buffet. Total damage ~ $80 including tax and service for 5 people.

view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Really? Nothing for the past ~ 21 months? Any recent experiences?

Looks like they have a new hotel manager named Mark Julajinda (Thai?)

Thinking of cashing in my points for 4 nights (2 rooms) over the new years. Rooms seem to be filling out quickly for this holiday season and the rest are asking for premium rates.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:13 pm

There seems a marked improvement in the service culture here evident by the proactive engagement by management starting at check in. We booked two rooms for 4 nights for 5 guests (2 adults & 2 children) using a mixture of points and cash of ~ $146 and 362K points.

First room is a 1 King Bed-Non-Smoking-Business Class Room - breakfast included for a total of 264K points for 4 nights.

2nd room is 2 Twin Beds-Non-Smoking-Deluxe Room - Free WiFi for a total of 98K points plus the cash portion of $146.

Prior to arriving, I visited the property and spoke to the duty manager requesting attached accommodations due to traveling with children ages 8-11 years. The manager promised that he would take care of it. Upon checking in, the same manager upgraded the children's room to the 25th floor (Business Floor) with full breakfast and lounge benefits for 4 nights, a substantial value of $378 (saved).

The breakfast at 27 Bites on the 2nd floor is great and the lounge access especially for the 6-8 PM happy hour is huge with spotless service and top-notch F&B offerings. Indian breakfast food is prepared so well and just so delicious at this property that I'm addicted to it. Generous 4 pieces of laundry per room per day is included (washing & pressing). Upgrade (paying 66K points vs. 44K points) to a business class room is worth every point/baht!

Currently (we checking out tomorrow 1/1/2020), the Business Class Room rate is $222++ per room per night, if one is available. Accumulating these points over couple of years with 2 credit cards did pay off. Also, I booked during the 20% rebate on redemption promo, so I am expecting some of these spent points back (~72K points).

Creme Caramel (AKA Flan) at the executive lounge

Shrimp cocktail at the executive lounge

Assorted cakes at the executive lounge

Cold food station during happy hour - executive lounge

Executive lounge on the 29th floor

Attico, Tuscan-inspired restaurant on the 28th floor

Brewski, rooftop venue on the 30th floor

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 2, 2020 at 8:14 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I stayed here twice, and both times I enjoyed it. Business class room both times. Great location, good food and service. The only downside was the pool area is a bit small. I wish Radisson had more properties in this region: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, etc.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:56 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok = Quiet Hotel After Covid Reopening

Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok

1 Review | 100% Recommended

489 Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey Nua Wattana Bangkok, TH 10110

Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok = Quiet Hotel After Covid Reopening (10 Photos)

I am not sure if there is a unique and clear-cut definition of full-service hotel, but by some account if I am not mistaken Radisson Blu Plaza was the very last one I had not tried in Bangkok before, among international and global hotel chains (not regional): Marriott Hilton Hyatt IHG Accor GHA SLH LHW Shangri-La Mandarin Oriental Peninsula Rosewood Four Seasons, and Radisson.  

Radisson has a poor loyalty program but at least they offer status match to mid tier (Gold) and I threw the kitchen sink at them by proving status with multiple hotel chains in the hope of getting top tier instead.  No success: they gave me Gold just like anyone else without responding to the fact that I had many chains, not only one.  Oh well.  

Room

Consequently I thought Radisson BLU would a serious contender for being the worse value for the money in Bangkok but based on my stay it has thankfully avoided that fate.  Upon arrival I received no upgrade at all (?!) and I asked what about upgrade for Golds.  They then changed my room to a business room which looked the same as the normal rooms but on one of the high floors marked business.  The bathroom amenities gave a distinct feeling of cheapness by being unbranded and unmarked, they smelled a bit like candy.  Overall the room looked fairly normal, not wow but not bad nor aging - decent.

IMG_1307.jpeg1_IMG_1308.jpeg1_IMG_1309.jpegIMG_1310.jpegIMG_1311.jpeg1_IMG_1312.jpeg

Dining

After I saw the room, I went back to the front desk to ask if by virtue of having a business class room, would I end up having lounge access?  They said the lounge was actually closed but that I was welcome to have happy hour at the lobby bar.  

At the moment happy hour at many Marriott chain hotels is awful because they have made it too easy to reach Platinum status last year during covid promotions.  The benefit of Radisson being a stingy hotel chain is that happy hour looked like 2020 not 2022: there was not a single guest in there for the full two hours so it was very quiet and relaxing.  Instead of a poor buffet, there was a short menu prepared from the kitchen and some limited choice of drinks including cocktails.  With the fully private happy hour and the nice waitress entertaining our 1-year old daughter who was tired and complaining a bit, for that reason alone Radisson Blu exceeded my low expectations.  

IMG_1318.jpeg1_IMG_1319.jpeg1_IMG_1320.jpeg1_IMG_1321.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked well with speed of 13 Mbps.

Overall

All in all I did not think this was a bad hotel and the elite benefits were not as weak as I expected due to having lounge access.  Many other hotel chains give free breakfast in Bangkok but in fairness I would as well if I had Radisson Platinum status, and it’s unclear if they would be willing to give suite upgrades to Platinums which I get regularly at other hotel chains; perhaps Radisson would give suites as well.  So in the end Radisson might be able to compete fairly well for top tier elites compared to hotels in a similar price range in Bangkok.  The main problem is not the hotel itself but mostly the loyalty program which was cut in two (Americas and Rest of World) which means for someone travelling everywhere, technically we could stay 118 nights in Radissons (59 nights in Americas and 59 nights in Rest of World) and still not reach top tier which makes no sense.  For that reason alone I rank this loyalty program at the bottom of the pecking order especially with IHG having upped its game recently.

Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok = Quiet Hotel After Covid Reopening

Would you like to write a review on the Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
kevino likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.