Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson Blu Style Hotel Vienna vs Radisson Blu Palais Vienna

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Style Hotel Vienna vs Radisson Blu Palais Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Radisson Blu Style is terrific

I am really impressed with the Radisson Blu Style. It far exceeded my expectations. I did my research before the trip. I've stayed in every Starwoo property in Vienna as well as the Hilton and a hotel adjacent to St Stephens. If you plotted those hotels on a map, you'd see that I focus on staying in the core of the city. Radisson Blu Style is an even better location for what I like to see, the historic section of the inner core. It is just two blocks from Demels, my favorite coffee shop, an easy walk to Albertinas passing the stables for the Royal Lipizzan stallions enroute, and more.

The hotel is so discrete it is easy to miss the sign. Be sure you know the address to tell the taxi driver. Inside, it has comfortable seating to the right, and seated check in desks to the left. Ahead is a beautifully decorated and very comfortable lounge with lots of intimate seating. I would have liked higher wattage lights, but I am sure their designer chose the dim lighting for effect. There are a few tables outside, mostly used by smokers.

I had thought thru my room choice in advance. I've stayed in a handful of Radisson Blus and have a common complaint with each. The rooms are incredibly small. Each has had entry level rooms of just 18 - 20 sq meters. The standard room here is 25 sq meters. Still, I preferred larger. I decided to book a premium award, which guaranteed me a room that was 30 sq meters. It also included breakfast, which the standard room does not. I then requested a standby award of a junior suite. Because I booked a premium award the upgrade would cost 27 euro instead of 57 euros with a standard award. We were given a junior suite on arrival, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a beautifully decorated room, very contemporary, but not over the top. The bath has a walk in shower separate from the tub. There was plenty of comfortable seating, one group around a coffee table, and two seats on either side of a small table. There is a Nespresso as well as a large screen flat panel TV. It's a corner room with large windows to two sides letting in lots of light.

As others have commented, beverages are free from the mini bar. There was nothing alcoholic in our mini bar but they were generous with one bottle each iced tea coke, diet coke, several juices, sparkling water, and still water.

We definitely want to return to this hotel when we return to Vienna.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:10 am
Suspended

Well the above review makes it easy for us then. I am using my CC points to book a premium award, not sure if I go with junior suite upgrade. How was a breakfast? relatively compared to other Radisson properties in that part of the world.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by nadir576
How was a breakfast? relatively compared to other Radisson properties in that part of the world.
Breakfast was fine, typical European hotel selection.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:35 am

Nice review! How does one request a standby award to a junior suite?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
How does one request a standby award to a junior suite?
It's part of the booking process. Once you've made your booking, the next page offers you standby upgrades. I ignore all of them unless it's to a room that gives me a water view (obviously, not Vienna) or additional space. I thought 27 euros for a junior suite (from the already upgraded premium room) was good value. You only find out on check in if they are able to give the upgrade. Radisson Blu Style had worked the standby list and had a junior suite blocked for us when we arrived.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Radisson Blu Style

Had two nights here for 50,000 points.

Must say, I wish this was the quality of all Radisson Blu hotels! Very modern, very nice, and very small hotel. Yet, the rooms are a decent size.

But the best part is the location. I love being in the heart of old town. Walking around that part of Vienna at night is perfectly romantic.

As a club carlson Gold, I got no special treatment and no upgrade. I asked about upgrade and they said they were sold out... however, I saw online they had multiple superiour rooms available, but whatever. Even if they do give an upgrade, they don't give breakfast that would normally come with the room.

There is a nice little diner at the end of the street where the roundabout is. Open late.

I personally would rather stay at the IC with lounge acces as an RA... but if I had to choose between no status at each other, I'd probably chose the Radisson Blu Style. I never even considered the other hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Just booked the Radisson Blu Style for two nights next week and came here for some info.

We're looking forward to the premium award and will likely upgrade to the juinior suite as well.

Thanks all.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
We booked the premium award (second night free thank you) and upgraded at E27 per night to the Junior Suite. A nice and spacious corner room on the 5th floor.

Location was great; breakfast quite adequate with cut meats, cheese, eggs to order, a selection of breads and juices and fruit. We were barely in the hotel but pleased with the entire package.

And the free minibar was a good addition.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:21 pm

Does anyone know how much the buffet breakfast would be if purchased separately from the room?

Trying to decide if it's worthwhile to book a standard room and pay the upgrade fee to a superior room for 41 euros. thanks!

I emailed the front desk- it's 23 Euros per person..so if I have two people in the room, then it makes sense to pay for the upgrade.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Dec 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:19 pm

I have three days booked at the RB Style! Front desk offered a complimentary room upgrade to a Superior room since I'm Carlson Gold, but NO breakfast or complimentary mini-bar.

They also offered in exchange for 20,000 Carlson points, super buffet breakfast and mini-bar for all three days or for 40,000 Carlson points, upgrade to the junior suite for all three days.

Was considering the junior suite offer until they said the junior suite only has a king bed and a couch, and the couch is not for sleeping. An extra bed in the junior suite will cost 59 euros/day for an adult.

Can't wait to stay here based on everyone's recommendations!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Radisson Blu Palais Vienna is Closed

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. I walked by recently, and there is now a large sign out front stating that the hotel is closed, and thanks for the many good years in Vienna. All the Radisson signage is taped over. However, when I peeked over the boards blocking the door, I could clearly see someone inside at the former front desk watching TV.

Not sure what is going on. Any news?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. I walked by recently, and there is now a large sign out front stating that the hotel is closed, and thanks for the many good years in Vienna. All the Radisson signage is taped over. However, when I peeked over the boards blocking the door, I could clearly see someone inside at the former front desk watching TV.

Not sure what is going on. Any news?
Took me awhile, but found it: http://austriantimes.at/news/Busines...otel_to_close_

tl;dr: Hotel was in need of too much modernization. Carlson/Rezidor didn't want to do it, their contract expired 12/31/13 and they didn't renew. Owner is shutting it down and renovating, hopes to reopen as a hotel in 2016.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
wrong thread

Last edited by mintcilantro; Sep 19, 2016 at 11:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.