Best Club Carlson option for Berlin

Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
We had a great two night stay at the Radisson Blu in a Business room overlooking the Berlin Cathedral. It was so close you could almost touch it. The hotel has a great location, and the room was large and very nice. Breakfast was a bit unorganized, but otherwise it was a pleasant stay.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by vitrysk_kille
for me all in all PP PB is clear winner. the only one convenient located for both airports (s bahn from SXF and txl+sbahn from TXL both within 30 min), 10 nd min to Alex 24/7 and easy access anywhere due to ring sbahn just outside. if suites are not booked so gold gives upgrade and stay is good...
This has become my go-to hotel for Berlin. While off the beaten path, it's such a great location. There is absolutely nothing fantastic about the rooms, the TVs are outdated, the staff is YMMV and the breakfast is way overpriced, but it's got some charm to it. Getting from Tegel is simple. (Take TXL Bus, switch to the S-Bahn at Beusselstrasse, take the S-Bahn to Landsberger Allee and walk around the corner to the hotel which is all covered by the Welcome Card) The M4/5/6 Trams run constantly and it takes maybe 10 minutes to get to Alexanderplatz. There is an Aldi a 1/4 mile one way and another grocery store a 1/4 mile the other way on Storkower Strasse. There is a Burger King across the street for a late night snack and a great Italian place called La Locanda a 10 minute walk away. (Being from Texas, I never visited the Mexican food place next door) There's a small shopping center with a discount store an ATM and some small eateries around the corner en route to the tram/S-Bahn.

And it's only 15,000 points per night.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:18 am

Reviving this thread to see if there are any newer reviews. I'm interested in the PP PB, since it is only 15000 points/nite. Don't know if they have 'business class' rooms for more points or not. Has anyone stayed at the Park Inn at Berlin City Center West? It seems to be far away in the south west of Berlin.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:32 pm
Suspended

WALLSTREET property seems to be the best in terms of location and price especially on the 2 for 1 weekend rates!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I know booking 2 separate 2-night reservations back to back with the Personal and Business cards has been noted as okay for the most part, but I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm it at the Radisson Blu Berlin. TIA
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by frudd38
I know booking 2 separate 2-night reservations back to back with the Personal and Business cards has been noted as okay for the most part, but I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm it at the Radisson Blu Berlin. TIA
For the rates that I have seen at ALL of the CC properties in Berlin, it would be a waste of points instead of paying any discounted or special rates at these properties.

That said I was looking in the Winter but Berlin is an over-saturated hotel market and for the points wanted, the comparison cash rates were phenomenally cheap. YMMV.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 10, 2015 at 11:36 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
For the rates that I have seen at ALL of the CC properties in Berlin, it would be a waste of points instead of paying any discounted or special rates at these properties.

That said I was looking in the Winter but Berlin is an over-saturated hotel market and for the points wanted, the comparison cash rates were phenomenally cheap. YMMV.
I agree to a certain extent as I didn't realize the Berlin market in general was "cheap". With the upcoming devaluations and tons of CC points, figured it is easily worth it on 150 euros/nt per room, likely going for premium option as well.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:36 pm
Suspended

I agree to a certain extent as I didn't realize the Berlin market in general was "cheap". With the upcoming devaluations and tons of CC points, figured it is easily worth it on 150 euros/nt per room, likely going for premium option as well.
Perhaps with premium rooms, but certainly not on weekends and the special 2 for1 or 4 for 2 rates, I might take a crack at it even when I am trying to unload the rest of my points.

Believe me I feel the desperation in wanting to unload my points -- just trying to point out that you may get more bang for the buck, GBP, Euro, etc., if you look to places other than the Berlin market.

Perhaps London, Paris and Vienna and some of the Scandinavian countries, as well as the Carlson properties in the South of France -- Cannes and Nice.

Some mentioned the nice Radisson in Prague, but have you seen those rates -- did not seem to me to be a good use of points at 44,000 a night, when I saw rates for as little as 79 Euros!!

Good luck and let us know where you might land!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that Berlin is generally a cheap hotel market, but 15,000 points for two nights at Park Plaza Prenzlauer Berg Berlin is a good deal, and there are three 28,000 properties in Berlin.

15,000 points=$1500 credit card spend. Even at $75/night, that's a 10 cents per point value on the bonus night 2 night redemption.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I agree that Berlin is generally a cheap hotel market, but 15,000 points for two nights at Park Plaza Prenzlauer Berg Berlin is a good deal, and there are three 28,000 properties in Berlin.

15,000 points=$1500 credit card spend. Even at $75/night, that's a 10 cents per point value on the bonus night 2 night redemption.
That is a close one on that property. However, I read and saw via google maps that it is not the most convenient for public transportation, etc. Not is it the most modern, up to date or in an interesting area of the city.

I grant you that it is a coin toss with respect to how you framed it. On the other hand, those same points when added to additional points -- should you have them -- make for a much better return in expensive cities with high taxes such as London which has a 17.5% VAT tax, as opposed to Germany's 10% ?? and London so far as I know has not started with a bed or tourist tax which some of the Continental countries have done so, including or soon to include Germany.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:03 am

Indeed, there's very little around the Park Plaza, but the area is not terrible. It's basically in the same building as a small shopping center so there is *some* stuff, and a Burger King is across the street.

It has good connections. S-Bahn entrance is just 100m from the hotel door. There are trams too: hop on the M5 or M6 and you're at Alexanderplatz in 10 minutes. If you walk 300m, you can get easily to the M10 tram (or take the M5/M6 for 1 stop), which goes to both Prenzlauer Berg and Friedrichshain.

I think for the value for 15K points for 2 nights is fantastic and would stay there myself.. if I didn't already live in Berlin. I was there once to get the 50K points a few years ago and it was certainly a decent hotel.

If you'd rather save the points for something else, Berlin is not an expensive city and you find things closer, but the PP is certainly not at the end of the world or anything.

Last edited by berlinflyer83; Apr 15, 2015 at 5:09 am
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:58 pm

Perhaps with premium rooms, but certainly not on weekends and the special 2 for1 or 4 for 2 rates, I might take a crack at it even when I am trying to unload the rest of my points.

Believe me I feel the desperation in wanting to unload my points -- just trying to point out that you may get more bang for the buck, GBP, Euro, etc., if you look to places other than the Berlin market.

Perhaps London, Paris and Vienna and some of the Scandinavian countries, as well as the Carlson properties in the South of France -- Cannes and Nice.

Some mentioned the nice Radisson in Prague, but have you seen those rates -- did not seem to me to be a good use of points at 44,000 a night, when I saw rates for as little as 79 Euros!!

Good luck and let us know where you might land!
Yup the desperation is real, I'm hitting Berlin and Oslo next month, but the rest will be future bookings that may or may not be realized.

I've used it in London for a 450 lb/nt room which was amazing, PP Westminster Bridge. Still kicking myself for blowing a couple grand on SPG in Vienna a couple years ago, didn't even know about Club Carlson then.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Yup the desperation is real, I'm hitting Berlin and Oslo next month, but the rest will be future bookings that may or may not be realized.

I've used it in London for a 450 lb/nt room which was amazing, PP Westminster Bridge. Still kicking myself for blowing a couple grand on SPG in Vienna a couple years ago, didn't even know about Club Carlson then.
Then, if you think that you will still have points left after the devaluation, then use them now.

However, I just want you to know that although I could not get some of the London Park Plaza properties to come up past February or March 2016, I am presently booked into several of the other Radisson London hotels over the July 4th 2016 holiday week. It is also likely that they will also come up thru Christmas 2016, so if you fancy a trip to London in the next 18 months - 24 months, you might better use those points elsewhere other than Berlin.

Good luck!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:37 pm

Then, if you think that you will still have points left after the devaluation, then use them now.

However, I just want you to know that although I could not get some of the London Park Plaza properties to come up past February or March 2016, I am presently booked into several of the other Radisson London hotels over the July 4th 2016 holiday week. It is also likely that they will also come up thru Christmas 2016, so if you fancy a trip to London in the next 18 months - 24 months, you might better use those points elsewhere other than Berlin.

Good luck!
Yea I noticed that too, it seems prop dependent on how far they open up the schedule.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:43 pm

Bumping this age old thread as I'll be in Berlin over Christmas with my bf and debating between the Radisson Blu and the art'otel Mitte. Radisson Blu is a bit more but seems closer to things we'd want to do, but art'otel is right next to the main tourist subway (U2). Any preferences on them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.