Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Radisson should I choose - Paris?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by roki
I'll be spending 3 nights (poor planning, should always do 2 or 4!) in Paris this coming September. I have 106K Club Carlson points left to burn by 6/1, and I have no desire to build up anymore (nor do I really have time). I have two options, it seems:

Radisson Blu Hotel, Paris-Boulogne @ 50K/night = 100K with last night free

Or any of:
Radisson Blu Hotel Champs Elysees, Paris
Radisson Blu Le Dokhan's Hotel, Paris Trocadero
Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan Hotel, Paris Eiffel

At 70K/night, or 105K/night for Premium Award/Business Room. In the interest of clearing out my club carlson account, the Premium Awards interest me. I know with CC Gold, you can often be upgraded from a standard room to a business room though. Any change of being bumped to a suite or something if you book a premium award?

Obviously I'd need to book elsewhere for our last night, but I was debating doing this anyway, as a "last night in Paris" and "last night of a 17-day trip" kind of hurrah. That may be naive though. But I don't think I can come up with another 35K points in time. Should I just book the Boulogne and be done?

edit: forgot my wife has 10K points on her account. Not that it makes a huge difference.
A couple of comments-- while it is true that you have a good chance of being upgraded to a business room as a Gold, they generally won't include the breakfast with that. I don't usually value the hotel breakfasts in Paris, as I'm personally happiest hitting one of my favorite bakeries while the croissants are still hot, but if you enjoy a sit-down in the hotel, the extra points could be worth it. From reading the threads over the past few years, it seems that an upgrade to a suite is possible in some of the Paris properties, but rare. One thing I'd suggest there is booking the business room and then emailing the concierge to ask what the likelihood is that you'd be able to get an upgrade during the specific dates you're travelling. If it is a light week, they may do something for you in advance - I've had good luck with that approach at several of the Paris Radisson Blus.
Regarding your hotel choice, I'd personally spring for the extra points to be closer in to the city. I had a similar choice on a family trip last year (could have covered 6 days with CC points at Boulogne vs. 4 nights at one of the others, with 2 nights elsewhere). I chose the Le Met and 2 nights elsewhere (a Hyatt) and was very happy with my decision (in part because the Hyatt experience was really exceptional, even though I paid for it). I personally enjoy being able to walk around the city at night, and like having an easily accessible "base." Boulougne isn't that far out, but it is far enough to make a difference for me... Also, I'm in the mode of spending all of my CC points, so I'd just go ahead and use as many as possible to have a good stay- I'm doing that on a trip this summer, where I've booked business class rooms just to get the breakfast, since I don't think I'm going to be able to make good use of the extra points after the devaluation/CC benefit loss.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by whimsey21
A couple of comments-- while it is true that you have a good chance of being upgraded to a business room as a Gold, they generally won't include the breakfast with that. I don't usually value the hotel breakfasts in Paris, as I'm personally happiest hitting one of my favorite bakeries while the croissants are still hot, but if you enjoy a sit-down in the hotel, the extra points could be worth it. From reading the threads over the past few years, it seems that an upgrade to a suite is possible in some of the Paris properties, but rare. One thing I'd suggest there is booking the business room and then emailing the concierge to ask what the likelihood is that you'd be able to get an upgrade during the specific dates you're travelling. If it is a light week, they may do something for you in advance - I've had good luck with that approach at several of the Paris Radisson Blus.
Regarding your hotel choice, I'd personally spring for the extra points to be closer in to the city. I had a similar choice on a family trip last year (could have covered 6 days with CC points at Boulogne vs. 4 nights at one of the others, with 2 nights elsewhere). I chose the Le Met and 2 nights elsewhere (a Hyatt) and was very happy with my decision (in part because the Hyatt experience was really exceptional, even though I paid for it). I personally enjoy being able to walk around the city at night, and like having an easily accessible "base." Boulougne isn't that far out, but it is far enough to make a difference for me... Also, I'm in the mode of spending all of my CC points, so I'd just go ahead and use as many as possible to have a good stay- I'm doing that on a trip this summer, where I've booked business class rooms just to get the breakfast, since I don't think I'm going to be able to make good use of the extra points after the devaluation/CC benefit loss.
Thank you! This is good and helpful information--kind of cements what I was already thinking. I agree that the Hotel breakfast isn't really a big selling point. I'm more of a local bakery type of guy too, but it would be nice to have the option. I'm leaning towards booking the business room at the Champs Elysees for nights 1 and 2, and then having a Hyatt Diamond acquaintance do a Guest of Honor booking for our last night at the Vendome. 30K Hyatt (UR, really) points is brutal, though. But I doubt we'll be in Paris again for many years. Park Hyatt Vendome seems like as good a place as any to spend a last night in Paris.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:49 am

To me that sounds like a good plan. Enjoy the stay as much as possible, burn the points, and cap it off with a fabulous night at the Vendome. I haven't stayed there myself, but have had great experiences at the Etoile and Madeline, so I can imagine how nice it will be at the Vendome with Diamond benefits. You're also doing it in the right order- after our stay at the Le Met last year we went on to the Park Hyatt Tokyo, and I can tell you that no one in the family would have been willing to return to the Radisson after that experience...
Old May 23, 2015, 9:09 pm

By the way- at the RB Champs Élysées, it's worth asking thd hotel in advance for a room with a balcony view of the Arc de Triomphe. The balconies are tiny, but it is a nice view at night. Also, I'd recommend visiting the bakery "Josephine" just down the street; their croissants are among the very best I've had in Paris (and I've had a lot!).
Old May 26, 2015, 6:57 am

It's rather weird that RB Champ Elysses only have premium award rooms available even though their deluxe rooms are available for cash. I thought there was no blackout date for club carlson?!
Old May 27, 2015, 11:37 am

The RB CE seems to do this regularly (this happened last summer as well), and there is a long thread regarding the Martinique in NYC which apparently does it almost all of the time. I've seen reports of people successfully contacting the hotel, pointing out the discrepancy, and getting a standard room "opened" for points.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Hi Gang, I need to book for wedding anniversary with wife in June.

Radisson Blu Le Dokhan's Hotel - is not available on my dates

Radisson Blu Hotel Champs Elysees and Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan Hotel.

We prefer modern design and good access to attractions so I am booking Le Metropolitan - good decision?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by dc2447
Hi Gang, I need to book for wedding anniversary with wife in June.

Radisson Blu Le Dokhan's Hotel - is not available on my dates

Radisson Blu Hotel Champs Elysees and Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan Hotel.

We prefer modern design and good access to attractions so I am booking Le Metropolitan - good decision?
That rather depends on which attractions you're interested in. I've stayed at both, and found the CE much more convenient for sightseeing, as it is steps from line 1 of the metro, which takes you to the louvre and Tuileries, and is well connected to the various other metro lines. I could reach most places I wanted to visit in about 15 minutes. Le Met is great for access to the Tour Eiffel, as you can see it from the hotel, walk to a nice viewing spot in about 5 minutes, and walk down to the tower in 15-20 minutes. That said, it is farther/more complicated to reach many of the other attractions, than the CE, with a 5-10 minute walk to the metro, and very often a line change required. The neighborhoods around the hotels are quite different, too, giving them a different feel. CE is in a very touristy area of expensive shops and (what I found to be) overpriced restaurants; there is a a constant flow of tourists on the surrounding streets, and activity late into the night. The Le Met was a bit more residential- there were definitely crowds at Trocodero, but the area right around the hotel was fairly subdued, with a nice mix of small restaurants and shops. For what it is worth, I didn't notice the Le Met as being much more stylish than the CE - to me, they were both fairly similar in design.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by whimsey21
That rather depends on which attractions you're interested in. I've stayed at both, and found the CE much more convenient for sightseeing, as it is steps from line 1 of the metro, which takes you to the louvre and Tuileries, and is well connected to the various other metro lines. I could reach most places I wanted to visit in about 15 minutes. Le Met is great for access to the Tour Eiffel, as you can see it from the hotel, walk to a nice viewing spot in about 5 minutes, and walk down to the tower in 15-20 minutes. That said, it is farther/more complicated to reach many of the other attractions, than the CE, with a 5-10 minute walk to the metro, and very often a line change required. The neighborhoods around the hotels are quite different, too, giving them a different feel. CE is in a very touristy area of expensive shops and (what I found to be) overpriced restaurants; there is a a constant flow of tourists on the surrounding streets, and activity late into the night. The Le Met was a bit more residential- there were definitely crowds at Trocodero, but the area right around the hotel was fairly subdued, with a nice mix of small restaurants and shops. For what it is worth, I didn't notice the Le Met as being much more stylish than the CE - to me, they were both fairly similar in design.
Well this is really helpful.

Seeing the attractions easily is a high priority. Will book CE.

Appreciate your help.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:18 am
Suspended

removed
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:23 am
Suspended

Back from our trip, we burned 105,000 points per night, Friday and Saturday

The Good

- Location is excellent
- The staff are really, really great
- Business class room with nespresso etc
- Breakfast was included (because in business class room?)
- Recognized as Gold with water and macaroons!

The Bad

- Furniture was tatty, hotel needs a refresh
- Bar was terrible, virtually non existant - when open it served only bottle beer
- avoid the italian cafe next door

Overall pleased we chose it but will try Le Metropolitan next time

Thanks to whimsey21 for your advice
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:30 pm

I'm glad the location worked out for you. I dont recall the furniture being worn in the room I had; don't know if yours of mine is the norm. Your free breakfast was definitely due to the bus class room; I was Gold as well and got the macaroons, but was told they wouldnt comp breakfast (no surprise there). I'll look forward to hearing how you like le met next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.