Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Oslo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: SK*G, TK*G, AB Silver (OW Ruby), SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is there a hop on hop off sightseeing bus in Oslo in the summer? If so, how close does it stop to the Plaza? the Scandinavia?
Both are real close to major sites (the Central station and the Opera House for Plaza and the Royal Palace and the National Theater for Scandinavia), this really shouldn't be a differentiator.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
http://www.oslotours.net/?event=offe...l&offerId=2148

http://citysightseeing.no/tour-related/stops/

Plaza has all transport almost on its doorstep.

For Scandinavia 5-10 minutes stroll but in a good area.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:07 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Radisson Blu Scandinavia

Originally Posted by travelkid
You can take the airport express bus to the hotel. Slower but cheaper than train. And door to door. Meaning often quicker depending on departure times for trains/bus.
How late does the bus run from the airport? How long does it take to the Radisson Blu Scandinavia? And how much does it cost?

And for our return, how early does it pick up in the morning? We have a 9:30am domestic flight.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How late does the bus run from the airport? How long does it take to the Radisson Blu Scandinavia? And how much does it cost?

And for our return, how early does it pick up in the morning? We have a 9:30am domestic flight.
It runs for at least around 19-20 hours a day and is up to around 125NOK each way. Roundtrip is cheaper.

From the airport, it goes until at least 1:00 am; from the hotel it starts as early as 4:00 am. 50-55 minutes is what is scheduled for trip time but I always tend to try to budget at least one bus trip in advance of that in order to deal with the off-chance of a bus incident/accident.

I have never had long check-in line worries at OSL, but I have sometimes met with insanely long security screening lines for 9:00 am-ish summer time flights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: SK*G, TK*G, AB Silver (OW Ruby), SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I cannot comment on the bus as I have always taken the Airport Express Train from the Scandinavia (which IMHO is the best airport train in the world).

If you are flying SAS for your domestic flight and are *G (and I believe you are), you will have access to fast lane security. This comes in handy, because as GUWonder rightfully mentions, the security line is usually the real bottleneck in OSL.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealBud
I cannot comment on the bus as I have always taken the Airport Express Train from the Scandinavia (which IMHO is the best airport train in the world).
Isn't that some distance from the hotel? We will have been traveling for 24 hours or so, so having a bus dump us at the hotel's front door seems pretty appealing. That way, no matter how spacey we are, we'll still get there.

If you are flying SAS for your domestic flight and are *G (and I believe you are), you will have access to fast lane security. This comes in handy, because as GUWonder rightfully mentions, the security line is usually the real bottleneck in OSL.
Thank you, that's a great tip.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Isn't that some distance from the hotel? We will have been traveling for 24 hours or so, so having a bus dump us at the hotel's front door seems pretty appealing. That way, no matter how spacey we are, we'll still get there.

Thank you, that's a great tip.
Yes, it's 5-10 minutes walk. With luggage and not being familiar in the city I would recommend the bus even though it's 30-40 minutes slower and less comfortable.

If you had stayed at the Plaza it's a different story.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RealBud

SAS grants LH*G and SK*G fast track security at airports where it doesn't grant other *Gs fast track security access. At OSL, I borrowed a baby and did better. Does flying SK at OSL work differently than CPH and ARN in this regard when flying SK?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Radisson Blu Scandinavia

We've come and gone from the Radisson Blu Scandinavia. Let me try to summarize the high and low points.

High:
  • Front desk worked hard to find an acceptable room
  • Breakfast buffet was extensive
  • Internet was free
  • Airport bus dropped off and picked up at hotel

Low:
  • Rooms were minuscule. Business rooms are identical in size to standard. They are considered a higher category because they have been renovated recently.
  • Duvet on bed was for a single, not for a queen
  • As a tourist, the hotel was a bit out of the way.

Let me expand on the room, because thanks to the front desk agents, we ended up satisfied. We arrived at midnight. The hotel had already blocked rooms for 400 cruise ship passengers arriving the next day. We were given a tiny room. It had a door to an adjoining room, and literally no place to open up luggage except on the bed. The front desk agent was a very congenial fellow who has traveled extensively in the US. He knows that Americans find these rooms incredibly small. After stumbling back to the front desk, he searched and searched and found a bedroom that was part of an unoccupied suite. It was perfectly fine, and we were very appreciative.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:56 pm
hkn

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, Jumeirah Sirius, Tablet Plus,
I realize that this is a pretty old thread but I'll wake it up with the following:

Since January 2013, there's a new hotel in Oslo. It's a rather fresh addition to what has been a depressing city to find accommodation in.
Location: Tjuvholmen on the waterfront. Tjuvholmen is Norwegian for not super central, but it's less that 10 minutes to there by cab.

Tjuvholmen translates to Thief's Island, as they used to execute prisoners there three years (or so) ago. The hotel's name: The Thief.
Designed by Oslo-born Ajas Mellbye, filled with art from the nearby Astrup Fearnley Museum (the hotel's owner is one of the main sponsors of that museum). Everything looks and feels modern, expensive and there are very few dents and scratches to discover.

The staff are helpful but expect the organization to need a few more months for adjusting and fine-tuning. It's also not a budget-location but, hey… this is Norway. Nothing is low-budget-y here.

A few little images and a additional thoughts of mine can be found here.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hkn
I realize that this is a pretty old thread but I'll wake it up with the following:

Since January 2013, there's a new hotel in Oslo. It's a rather fresh addition to what has been a depressing city to find accommodation in.
Location: Tjuvholmen on the waterfront. Tjuvholmen is Norwegian for not super central, but it's less that 10 minutes to there by cab.

Tjuvholmen translates to Thief's Island, as they used to execute prisoners there three years (or so) ago. The hotel's name: The Thief.
Designed by Oslo-born Ajas Mellbye, filled with art from the nearby Astrup Fearnley Museum (the hotel's owner is one of the main sponsors of that museum). Everything looks and feels modern, expensive and there are very few dents and scratches to discover.

The staff are helpful but expect the organization to need a few more months for adjusting and fine-tuning. It's also not a budget-location but, hey… this is Norway. Nothing is low-budget-y here.

A few little images and a additional thoughts of mine can be found here.
The Thief is a Nordic Choice hotel. Choice hotels' points can be used to stay at Petter Stordalen's pet project. His other pet project that gets pretty well reviewed -- relative to the market -- is in nearby Gothenburg: Clarion Post.

By the way, thanks for your review on the Ĺre property. I may be visiting it soon ... using points too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 19, 2013 at 5:35 am
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
If you get a room upgrade the Park Inn by Radisson is very good, I prefer to stay there over any of the other Radisson properties in Oslo. I've not stayed in a hotel in Norway where breakfast isn't included on the room rate. The Plaza and Scandinavian are both pretty tired and badly in need of renovation, they are not worth the premium over the Park Inn, plus the Plaza is in a crappy part of town, if you like drug dealers and hookers it might appeal.
I think they are updating the Scandinavian ... or maybe started doing it ... I don't know. I stayed once on the third floor (I think - first floor above the foyer) and the room was definitively more modern than the rooms I stayed in at higher levels including the rooms in the Plaza.

Both hotels have horrible-soft beds.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by Frenske
I think they are updating the Scandinavian ... or maybe started doing it ... I don't know. I stayed once on the third floor (I think - first floor above the foyer) and the room was definitively more modern than the rooms I stayed in at higher levels including the rooms in the Plaza.

Both hotels have horrible-soft beds.
They have an ongoing renovation project. I've been in a few different reno-style rooms in that hotel. The pastel-neon wave rooms are the "middle" renovation.

I was OK there, but I mainly remember them of the home of the worlds largest breakfast buffet and worlds smallest duvets.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:49 am

any update?

Any update on the Scandinavian vs. the Plaza?

Reviews on Tripadvisor all complain about the old rooms in both properties, although the GM of the Scandinavian said they'll start renovating "some" rooms next month.

I stayed at the Scandinavian once about 2 years ago and found the location to be convenient. My room was dated but OK. Breakfast selection was extensive. Service was friendly but not that good. Didn't have a chance to use the gym or pool.

Your recent experience & feedback is much appreciated. Both properties have the same rate for my dates in early/mid October.

A bit OT: during that period, is it usually cold and rainy in/around Oslo? We (a couple only, no kids) are planning a 4-night stay and typically enjoy walking around for hours exploring different neighborhoods, museums, parks, etc. Wouldn't be great if it'll likely be raining all the time...
Old May 28, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Which hotel in Oslo?

Which hotel in Oslo would be best for a one night stay for 4 adults who have a rental car. The goal is not too expensive but decent access to sightseeing before leaving on road trip to Bergen. Can use points or pay out of pocket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.