Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missing Alamo Car Rental Bonus Points ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Missing Alamo Car Rental Bonus Points ?

I rented an Alamo car when the 1500 bonus points per day promo was active. It has been over 8 weeks since the rental yet NO points have been credited.

Is anyone else having a similar problem with Carlson car rental points ?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chazzzzz1
I rented an Alamo car when the 1500 bonus points per day promo was active. It has been over 8 weeks since the rental yet NO points have been credited.

Is anyone else having a similar problem with Carlson car rental points ?
Do you frequently rent with Alamo? Does Alamo usually list the number of miles/points you earned on your receipt? If so, did it say you earned the bonus?

I'm only fimilar with Avis with regards to Club Carlson, because of the way bigger bonuses (6000 CC points for 2+ days, 9000 CC points for 3+ days):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/club-...er-2012-a.html

At Avis, both on the printed receipt they give you (if you return during open hours), and at any rate on the receipt they email you (at least they email you if you're a Preferred member), they show the 6000 or 9000 for these promos.

But Avis and Alamo are unrelated companies, and it's been about a decade since I last used Alamo, so I know nothing about their current receipts.

(And the point of figuring out if the receipt should and then does show you the points is to figure out if everything was correct at the Alamo end and it's in the sending from Alamo to Avis that's the problem, or if the problem was at that Alamo end not giving you the points in the first place.)

Posting of points from Avis rentals to Club Carlson does take several weeks, but typically nowhere near 8 of them...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Yes....same problem here. Had a rental in April. No points yet. My receipt clearly shows my Club Carlson (Goldpoints) #.

I spoke to Alamo after 4 weeks. They told me that it can take up to 12 weeks. So, I'm being patient, and will call at the 12 week mark.

This is a new affiliation for Alamo, so maybe it's that. I trust it will work out.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Carlson car rental points

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Alamo and they said they submitted the points. I had rented for 10 days which would equal 15000 points. Nothing to sneeze at but Carlson is beginning to bum me out. I have been a Hilton gold member for some time now and never had a problem with them.

It stinks that I am trying to plan next years vacations with points and I have to fight for points promised. I have reservations for the their current big promotion
and I am wondering if that is going to be a problem with points posting also.

URGHHHHH
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It stinks that I am trying to plan next years vacations with points and I have to fight for points promised. I have reservations for the their current big promotion and I am wondering if that is going to be a problem with points posting also.
That's something totally different. Even though I have not had as long a wait as you Alamo people with Avis, I still have to wait several weeks for those.

On the other hand, the current big/etc promotions (50k Radisson, 44k Country Inn & Suites, 44k Park Inn) have so far been posting very promptly for me (within a few days of checkout, I see the regular points, the online booking bonus, and the big bonus I expected). (I've done the Country Inn & Suites and Radisson so far; my Park Inn stay won't be for a few more weeks.)

You have to understand how inter-program transfers work. They're typically done on a batched occasional basis, not a one-at-a-time instant basis. There's combined into one big file, then maybe sent electronically but all too often still sent physically (a disc or tape or whatever), once a month maybe (some partner combinations transfer more often, but all too many only once a month). Then if there's a problem with the file that month, they have to wait another month to get it corrected. (Each month they duplicate the data from the last few months so that it automatically catches anything that go missed in the previous month's transfer attempt.)

Alamo being a new partner, maybe they didn't create the file in the way that Carlson expected, and that caused a hiccup. Maybe that requires them trying again next month, I dunno. I dunno how it works specifically Alama to Club Carlson, I just know how in general it tends to work between one points program and another points program.

Meanwhile, it works completely differently (and typically way faster) within one points program. So I see no reason to expect slow hotel stay postings just because you've had slow car rental postings.

In every hotel and airline program I belong to where I've used car rentals, the car rentals always take longer to post than the hotel stays in that hotel program or the airline flights on that airline. (But airline flights on a partner airline also take longer, and occasionally also way longer.)
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by sdsearch
In every hotel and airline program I belong to where I've used car rentals, the car rentals always take longer to post than the hotel stays in that hotel program or the airline flights on that airline. (But airline flights on a partner airline also take longer, and occasionally also way longer.)

Agreed. That's the nature of these partner agreements between different types of travel (i.e. car to hotel)... they're going to take time and they're going to take some babysitting to make sure you actually get the points. Postings from hotels are generally very quick, Club Carlson included.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
..... but Carlson is beginning to bum me out. I have been a Hilton gold member for some time now and never had a problem with them. .....

URGHHHHH
Club Carlson is doing good imho. I think it's Alamo that should be taking the criticism on this.

Still, it's a new partnership, and patience will pay off.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:21 am

Has anyone seen their points from Alamo, yet?

Still waiting. Slowly losing patience.......
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:39 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
It stinks that I am trying to plan next years vacations with points and I have to fight for points promised.
IF you are 'fighting' to get your points before 12 weeks, then the issue is yours, not Club Carlson's or Alamo's. Your experience with Hilton is a non-issue as according what clublounger was told, it can take up to 12 weeks for points to post.
Originally Posted by clublounger
I spoke to Alamo after 4 weeks. They told me that it can take up to 12 weeks.
Still waiting. Slowly losing patience.......
Per your own post, has it been 12 weeks? If so contact Alamo to verify transfer occured/that you earned the points/etc, if so, then contact CC.

This thread is starting to remind me of the Wyndham posting issues from a few years ago. People fighting/losing patience with the airline when it was Wyndham that wasn't notifying the airline to credit the miles. Contact the correct vendor first when an issue arises but until the posting timeframe is up, take a chill pill.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jul 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
IF you are 'fighting' to get your points before 12 weeks, then the issue is yours, not Club Carlson's or Alamo's. Your experience with Hilton is a non-issue as according what clublounger was told, it can take up to 12 weeks for points to post.
Per your own post, has it been 12 weeks? If so contact Alamo to verify transfer occured/that you earned the points/etc, if so, then contact CC.

This thread is starting to remind me of the Wyndham posting issues from a few years ago. People fighting/losing patience with the airline when it was Wyndham that wasn't notifying the airline to credit the miles. Contact the correct vendor first when an issue arises but until the posting timeframe is up, take a chill pill.
And TODAY I was told, by Alamo, that it takes 4 to 6 weeks. So, perhaps I was foolish to believe what I was told last month when I called. It's seeming more like Alamo is full of misinformation.

So, when do we stop "chill"ing ?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:21 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Updated thread title to reflect that this thread refers to Alamo miles.

--jpdx, CC Moderator
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:35 am

So, when do we stop "chill"ing ?
ONCE the timeframe that you were told has passed, pretty simple.

If timeframe has elapsed and points haven't posted, call/contact again to vendor who is at fault, mention you spoke with agent XYZ on this date & who said transfer would happen in X timeframe and it hasn't, so you want a resolution.
Again, pretty simple stuff.

Perhaps you are not one of these types we have here on FT but some get way too worked up if points/miles don't post in a day or two, even though the program states that it may take much longer to actually post.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
ONCE the timeframe that you were told has passed, pretty simple.

If timeframe has elapsed and points haven't posted, call/contact again to vendor who is at fault, mention you spoke with agent XYZ on this date & who said transfer would happen in X timeframe and it hasn't, so you want a resolution.
Again, pretty simple stuff.

Perhaps you are not one of these types we have here on FT but some get way too worked up if points/miles don't post in a day or two, even though the program states that it may take much longer to actually post.
The time frame is now up. Nobody on this thread appears to be looking for results too soon. Your criticism is neither appropriate, nor useful in regards to this thread.

The issue at hand is misinformation and incompetence in the matter of getting points posted from Alamo to Carlson. Feel free to address THAT.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:48 pm

The time frame is now up. Nobody on this thread appears to be looking for results too soon. Your criticism is neither appropriate, nor useful in regards to this thread.
I was simply stating an appropriate course of action as it seems some don't know who to properly follow up with, obviously you do, (& if that is the case, shouldn't you have your points by now?)
The issue at hand is misinformation and incompetence in the matter of getting points posted from Alamo to Carlson. Feel free to address THAT.
No thanks, that is YOUR job to go figure out why & get it done.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:52 pm
Suspended

ive had pts post from 2 different rentals.it does take time its not the fastest but my 2nd one was well worth the wait that is as long as AL doesnt catch it

if it doesnt post after the reg time period past just call up CS I spoke to them about a 3rd rental (turned out it was before the actual start up date so no pts) but CS was Great! and didnt b_s me about anything If you had your CC # in when you picked up the car on the contract you will get the pts, yes theres an '*' that states in order to get the pts the CC# must be in thee from get go, although when dealing with the cs I got the impression that will give it retro but they need not

also i rented using a Costco Corp ID # and coupon code and still was able to get the CC pts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.