FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Radisson International | Radisson Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/radisson-international-radisson-rewards-428/)
-   -   Radisson San Jose (CA) or Country Inn Sunnyvale? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/radisson-international-radisson-rewards/1347684-radisson-san-jose-ca-country-inn-sunnyvale.html)

maximizer May 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Radisson San Jose (CA) or Country Inn Sunnyvale?

Has anyone stayed at either Radisson SJC Airport or Country Inn in Sunnyvale? I'm deciding between them, 1 night, 2 adults and 2 small kids. Planning to ask for late check-out and enjoy the pool.

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

Ambraciot May 18, 2012 2:11 pm

I've stayed at the SJC Radisson a couple times and will be there again in a little over a week. It's a lower end Radisson with thin walls and an underwhelming pool; but it's relatively cheap, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the staff is competent.

gloreglabert May 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Pretty sure the Country Inn is a no-brainer here, for two reasons -- one, it's the #1 rated hotel in Sunnyvale on TripAdvisor (out of ~40), and two, it's one of the Carlson hotels that's moving up a category come June 1st, which means it's probably a good deal to book right now.

Full disclosure, I haven't actually stayed at either of these hotels, but I've got a room booked at the Country Inn in June for the 44k point promotion -- cost me a measly $57 and 5000 points (gonna be 10k points to book that after the category change though). Also gave me a standby free suite upgrade for Silver status.

maximizer May 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 18601736)
Pretty sure the Country Inn is a no-brainer here, for two reasons -- one, it's the #1 rated hotel in Sunnyvale on TripAdvisor (out of ~40), and two, it's one of the Carlson hotels that's moving up a category come June 1st, which means it's probably a good deal to book right now.

Full disclosure, I haven't actually stayed at either of these hotels, but I've got a room booked at the Country Inn in June for the 44k point promotion -- cost me a measly $57 and 5000 points (gonna be 10k points to book that after the category change though). Also gave me a standby free suite upgrade for Silver status.

Ha! my stay will be on Memorial day. But thanks for noting the category change. If we like the place then I might book it again before the change.

I'm silver too, but I think I'll just book the suite, it's only $6 extra with C&P. Will be convenient with kids.

The Country Inn also gives free breakfast, not so at the Radisson. And the pool is heated (Radisson website just says "pool" so who knows). So yes, I'm pretty sure it will be Sunnyvale.

Steph58 May 18, 2012 9:00 pm

maximizer, I have visited the Radisson SJC. Without having ever seen (much less stayed at) Country Inn Sunnyvale I would choose it over Radisson SJC. I wouldn't recommend SJC to anyone & especially on a family trip. The area is sketchy and my room (upgraded to a suite) was depressing, old and creepy.

mrkymark May 18, 2012 9:31 pm

I agree, nothing much around the SJ Radisson and rooms are odd. It's fine just odd and dated, there was a big yellow rotary phone in the bathroom.

boxo May 19, 2012 3:52 am

I've stayed at the Radisson SJC. Yes, the area is kinda sketchy, the rooms aren't anything special and the pool is not heated. Perfectly fine if one needs to be closer to downtown San Jose, 2 blocks from VTA light rail, or if airport shuttle is a requirement. The restaurant Happy Hour food was awful, service very slow. But front desk people are nice.

My sister and her family love the Country Inn & Suites Sunnyvale. The weekend suite rates are great, free breakfast and decent, resurfaced [6-9 mos ago?] pool.

maximizer May 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Country Inn Sunnyvale - Review

We just stayed at Country Inn Sunnyvale.

It is a good value, especially with Cash & Points. We stayed in a Junior Suite with two small kids and paid $71 incl tax + 5000 points (it is going up to 10,000 points June 1). Without points the rate was $109 plus tax.

The free breakfast was very decent: scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereals, waffles, fruit, bagels, english muffins. Hot water for tea was actually hot.

The heated pool was decent size. We went twice and no one was there both times, although we were unlucky with weather, it was sunny but only about 70F and a bit of wind. I can definitely see spending more time there when the weather is warmer.

BUT the pool doesn't have big steps, only the thin type stairs. The most shallow point is 3 feet. So if you have very small children you pretty much have to be in the water with them, can't just watch them.

The room was clean and good size, plenty of drawers for storage, there is a real door between the living room and the bedroom. The kids slept in the sofa bed and it was fine.

But the bathroom, although clean, needs some updating. You can see paint and calk chipping off all over, and rust showing.

The bathroom sink was low, great for kids but I suppose could be uncomfortable for tall adults (we aren't).

I am Silver but didn't ask about an upgrade. We were put far from the elevator in a corner, which was probably better to reduce the noise - maybe this was our upgrade? There was still some noise from the hallway, the walls are thin.

Overall we were satisfied and actually planning to come back before June 15 to take advantage of the big promo using another account. This is far from a high-end property but decent and could be a great value, especially if you take advantage of the free breakfast.

Ambraciot May 29, 2012 12:45 pm

The Radisson was a hub of activity this weekend between FanimeCon and some girl/teen beauty pageant. They gave me a free breakfast voucher because of the resulting anarchy and it also looks like they forgot to charge me for the room...

The only bad thing was the dated CRT TV in my room.

MDtR-Chicago Jul 1, 2012 10:31 pm

Just had a "stay" at the Radisson San Jose Airport. (Didn't actually stay overnight but used the room to do some work in peace.)

I thought it was fine. Had a top floor king room. Some things had been renovated (especially the bathroom and I think new-ish carpet). Some of the furniture worn but clean enough.

One thing that was odd is they have built a lounge right off the elevator on that floor, looked brand new, but had nothing in it. Probably for hospitality events in the hotel. But it doesn't match any of the other decor on the floor...

Also went to the happy hour in the restaurant lounge and it was quite good. Most drinks and appetizers half off, attentive service.

It was fine and I wouldn't have a problem going back but it's not really any better than most of the other properties around there.

ThreeA4Me Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Heading up there on Tuesday to the Radisson Airport -- got a $98 rate for two doubles -- for family for one night -- using the stay so I can get the free anywhere stay (probably NYC or Radisson blu Chicago) but now questioning whether it is even worth it.

I'm Silver Elite with Radisson but maybe I should just burn 8000 points and stay at the Hyatt (I'm diamond) Regency SFO and forget the promotion...

thoughts?

MDtR-Chicago Nov 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 19684980)
I'm Silver Elite with Radisson but maybe I should just burn 8000 points and stay at the Hyatt (I'm diamond) Regency SFO and forget the promotion...

thoughts?

What exactly are your concerns?

ThreeA4Me Nov 15, 2012 9:02 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 19685015)
What exactly are your concerns?

Reading the thread and others it appears the hotel is run down and one of the lower Radissons out there. But I think I will grim and bear it and get the free night redemption to use at one of their better hotels (radisson blu chicago or in NYC)

MDtR-Chicago Nov 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 19688199)
Reading the thread and others it appears the hotel is run down and one of the lower Radissons out there. But I think I will grim and bear it and get the free night redemption to use at one of their better hotels (radisson blu chicago or in NYC)

It's definitely bearable. Especially for what you get from it.

ORD-TGU Feb 6, 2013 9:06 pm

Radisson San Jose Airport
I landed at SJO, called the hotel, got transferred to the actual driver who told me where to go so he would pick me up in 10 minutes...then there he was, just as promised, friendly and helped with all my bags! Nice new and comfortable van. Great start.
At check in, recognized as club Carlson gold member, thanked for my loyalty, upgraded to business room on 5th floor. The room was standard size, a bit tight with two double beds, but seemed really new. No welcome amenity, but even better, received free breakfast coupons, but unfortunately I had an early flight so skipped it. Fortunately they set up coffee, apples, granola bars in lobby, so I appreciated that. Free wifi, it was good speed and never dropped. Close to airport, can only hear street noise when standing close to glass door, but in room it is quiet.
The sitting area in front of elevator on 5th floor has modern décor, a sink and two communal refrigerators.
Sleep number beds are always comfy. The only minor issue is that the AC was a little bit loud, but I slept through it. Lobby has free PC for internet and printing. Outside pool, and on site restaurant, did not eat there, but the place was packed during happy hour. Walked to the bowling alley next door, ate at diner, which was good for a diner. Nothing else walking distance around hotel, but ask shuttle driver and he will drop you off in vicinity. Next morning shuttle was quick and helpful with bags. This is a business hotel, did not see any vacationers. Hotel is clean, functional and lobby and my room are new.
Short stay, property was nice.