Wiki Posts
Search

3 Carlson properties in Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC
3 Carlson properties in Cape Town

Has anyone experienced this particular hotel? Seems quite nice...was thinking of getting the Business room, in order to take advantage of the included breakfast, WiFi and such. For Gold GPP members has anyone ever gotten any special treatment? Will just be staying there for a couple of nights and I intend to book that particular room for 3 people, I reckon space should suffice...in such a case, would they ever consider upgrading Gold members to a Suite?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
My wife and I stayed at this hotel in October 2005 as part of our honeymoon. We got a Business room - those rooms face the water and have a remarkable view. Some of the issues for us were:

1. We were on the second floor and in the middle of the building, so our room / terrace was right above the outdoor restaurant and bar. The bar could be kinda rowdy at night. This really didn't bother us, though.

2. You can't really walk to restaurants and such from the hotel. We actually did take a very nice walk along the water and into parts of Cape Town during the day, but you really do need transportation to get around.

3. The waterfront actually had a whole bunch of seawead / algae in it, so not the best stuff immediately in front of the hotel.

4. Lots of fog

The positives were:
- Great bed
- Spacious room
- Beautiful view
- They knew in advance that we were on honeymoon and had a bottle of champagne and dried rose petals in the shape of a heart in our room. They sent a second bottle up during our stay. Very nice touch.
- The breakfast was great - the heat lamps outside came in handy
- The price - significantly less than the Cape Grace and others

Overall, I highly recommend the hotel. Location was good, view was great, service was great (we did have a problem with our door, which they fixed immediately). The "nautical theme" was a bit over the top, but not irritating. We didn't check out the bar, so can't comment on that. Also, we had no GP status, so can't comment on treatment there.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: QR Silver
Park Inn Cape Town

Hi.
Does anyone have any experiences with Park Inn Cape Town? Their website seems to be down.. And when is the Park Inn Foreshore supposed to open?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Comments sought on 3 Carlson properties in Cape Town (1 to open late 2012)

There are three properties in and around Cape Town, two currently open and one to open late 2012.

Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Foreshore, 38K points/night

Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, 50K points/night,
10-15 minute walk south of V&A Waterfront

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cape Town Blaauwberg, to open late 2012, 30 minutes north of Cape Town on water

Who has stayed in either of the two currently open who can offer an opinion? If you have also stayed in the Westin property, could you compare and contrast? I'd get lounge, breakfast, and a probable suite upgrade at the Westin, but the location is a bit blah.

Thoughts on the Blaauwberg location? We've been in Capetown several times, so don't necessarily need to stay in the thick of things.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 8, 2012 at 11:32 pm
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Radisson Blu Waterfront has a great location with wonderful views of the bay. There's a great terrace restaurant for drinks and dinner that fronts right onto the waterfront.

Rooms are Ok if a little tired and service is very good.

As for location it is about a 15 minute walk from the harbour complex with lots to do. We used the shuttle to get there and taxis to return. The walk looks to be perfectly do-able, just that we chose not to do it.

Everything else will need a short taxi ride. It is a little away from the centre of things.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'd love to get more stay experiences at the Waterfront Radisson. I'm currently gold. Will I be given a room with a water view?

How does it compare to the Westin Capetown? It's 50K points per night with no breakfast and no suite upgrades. Does the view make it worth it compared to a much richer elite experience at the Westin?
Old May 9, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'd love to get more stay experiences at the Waterfront Radisson. I'm currently gold. Will I be given a room with a water view?

How does it compare to the Westin Capetown? It's 50K points per night with no breakfast and no suite upgrades. Does the view make it worth it compared to a much richer elite experience at the Westin?
I had 5 or 6 stays there about a year ago as a gold member.
All were on the F+F rate (before the need for providing an employee name came in). I was given a Business class room on 1 stay, an ocean view on 2 stays and a carpark view on the other stays.
The hotel itself is very nice. The pool/restaurant/bar area overlooking the sea easily match the ambience of the Westin's Executive lounge (just no free wine and canapes)
They have a shuttle to V+A but it is also an easier walk than the walk between the Westin and the V+A.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again but the pricing is usually not as good as the Westin where you are almost always given a Executive Suite or sometimes Junior Suite Platinum upgrade.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

I´ve only stayed at the Radisson Blu hotel and had a pleasant experience. I booked the FAF rate at 790ZAR/night incl. full English breakfast which was a spectacular deal IMO.

- great location near the V&A Waterfront
- very good service (particularly for SA standards)
- solid 4.5*-5* hotel, but not in the same league as One&Only etc.
- nice terrace restaurant with nice views of the ocean
- room itself was nice, but nothing over the top, bathroom was modern

Requested a view with a sea view and got it at check-in (no CC status), however I stayed there during low season (July).

The views were nice, but I wouldn´t base my decision on the view. However, based on the research I did at the time, it seemed like the Radisson Blu was nicer than the Westin.
Old May 13, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thanks to contributors. I've just garnered an invitation to come to Cape Town. As I don't stay with people anymore, I'd like to use CC points, and/or points & money, and/or F&F, and/or do a promotion if there's a coincidental one.

What is the weather like in July, Jasper2009? And when are the best times to come, even if the answer is a wide swath of time?

Thank you again.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Firewind
What is the weather like in July, Jasper2009? And when are the best times to come, even if the answer is a wide swath of time?

Thank you again.
Well, it depends.

When I was there in July last year, the weather was perfect: 20°C-25°C, sunny, blue skies during the day time, maybe 10°C at night. Couldn´t have had a better time.

However, I was told I was very lucky as they usually get a lot of rain / bad weather during the winter months.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you again, Jasper2009.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:49 am

Any recent experiences at the Park Inn Cape Town Foreshore? (Reviews on TripAdvisor are not bad.) Does wifi cost extra?
Old May 28, 2012, 3:43 pm

Park Inn by Radisson Foreshore, Capetown

I stayed at Park Inn Foreshore in january for 5 nights, The hotel is very nice and brand new, the rooms are large and there is a roof top terrace with a small splash pool. Very modern bathrooms with glass between room and bathroom, not very convenient when sharing room, but nice decor and design,
Breakfast was very good, but they do charge for wifi.

I also checked out the Radisson Blu Waterfront - fantastic location. The staff told me that they are renovating all rooms from may to august this year.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:39 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thegoderic
Radisson Blu Waterfront has a great location with wonderful views of the bay. There's a great terrace restaurant for drinks and dinner that fronts right onto the waterfront.

As for location it is about a 15 minute walk from the harbour complex with lots to do. We used the shuttle to get there and taxis to return. The walk looks to be perfectly do-able, just that we chose not to do it.

Everything else will need a short taxi ride. It is a little away from the centre of things.
Thanks for feedback on Radisson Blu Waterfront's location^

Can someone provide feedback on the Park Inn Foreshore's location for a tourist in Cape Town?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold,
I stayed for one night in July after a 10 road trip around Western Cape. The hotel is perfectly suitable for a tourist. You're right downtown and close to a lot of historical sites and the main market. There are great restaurants and coffee shops all within walking distance. However, for the tourist attractions that Capetown is known for - the V&A Waterfront, Table Mountain, Mount Nelson hotel - you will either have to enjoy a good walk, or grab a cab. The V&A waterfront is a good 40 minute walk. Mount Nelson hotel (for high tea) is a 30 minute walk. Table Mountain - definitely a cab fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.