New Club Carlson Credit Card (now available)

Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up no-fee version, still with 2-for-1 on redemptions!

http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/visaCard.do

Since I already have about 250,000 points (with less than a half dozen stays, plus a bunch of Avis car rentals), I don't need a boatload of points, especially since if I can do most of my future stays as 2-night stays, I'll essentially double my points (and thus like having about 500,000 points already before this card existed!).

So I'd rather get only 30k points but still the "last night free" on 2+ night redemptions for no annual fee (meaning it's painless to keep the card year after year, no matter how rarely I do those stays), than to get a card without the annual fee waived for a bit more points that I'm not sure when I'm going to use.

I found this in the separate thread about these cards over in the MilesBuzz! forum.

Here's the exact post which introduced this link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19777520-post36.html post 36
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum,
when i got the olympic card, they knew about my churn that day and was asking me about why so many applications, didnt have a good answer for them, then the card showed up in the mail
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch

Since I already have about 250,000 points (with less than a half dozen stays, plus a bunch of Avis car rentals), I don't need a boatload of points, especially since if I can do most of my future stays as 2-night stays, I'll essentially double my points (and thus like having about 500,000 points already before this card existed!).

So I'd rather get only 30k points but still the "last night free" on 2+ night redemptions for no annual fee (meaning it's painless to keep the card year after year, no matter how rarely I do those stays), than to get a card without the annual fee waived for a bit more points that I'm not sure when I'm going to use.

I found this in the separate thread about these cards over in the MilesBuzz! forum.

As always, excellent find and explanation, many thanks! ^
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

US residents only I see.

Fat lot of good that is to the majority of their customers.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

I saw that when the offer went live but it didn't strike me as good for my use. While Gold isn't great there is a 2K point booking bonus and I often get upgraded. On top of that the C&P options I often go for give 5K pts a value between $25/$30. Since 50% of my stays are 1 night I need to keep this in consideration.

Even with the $75 fee those extra 20K pts are worth $100/$120.

If I pull the trigger, I'll go for the $75 one and will probably never use the card after the first purchase.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I saw that when the offer went live but it didn't strike me as good for my use.
Indeed, how one looks at ths card can depend on how much ones tays at Club Carlson properties. There's those of us who've only tended to stay when insanely bribed (like we were several times in past year!), and otherwise earn lots of points from the seemingly-never-ending rich Aivs (or Budget) car rental bonuses. For those of us, the fee-free version is probably "good enough".

I agree though, that if you do stay at Club Carlson hotels beyond those bribes enough (but just not quite enough for thes status the card gives), there may be some additional benefit to one the annual fee versions.

Everyone has to do their own math!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
US residents only I see.

Fat lot of good that is to the majority of their customers.
It's not US only.

It's US first (and other countries later).

You apparently missed post 27:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19754099-post37.html post 27

They plan "global", and Europe is next (the article linked in that post says). Just how "global" (ie, will they get around to Argentina and if so when) is not clear yet, though.

You do realize that to cover different countries they need different banks (since no one bank covers the whole world)??? So of course this card from this bank is US only! (Other cards will be from other banks, but which banks has not been announced yet.)

By the way, how many cities in Argentina does Club Carlson have hotels in?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Indeed, how one looks at ths card can depend on how much ones tays at Club Carlson properties. There's those of us who've only tended to stay when insanely bribed (like we were several times in past year!), and otherwise earn lots of points from the seemingly-never-ending rich Aivs (or Budget) car rental bonuses. For those of us, the fee-free version is probably "good enough".

I agree though, that if you do stay at Club Carlson hotels beyond those bribes enough (but just not quite enough for thes status the card gives), there may be some additional benefit to one the annual fee versions.
It was one of those bribes that introduced me to the PP soi 18 in Bangkok. It's now become one of our go-to hotels.

Everyone has to do their own math!
Theoretically... but not often enough in practice.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Please note on all Carlson Visa cards:
"Foreign Transaction
2% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in U.S. Dollars
3% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in a Foreign Currency."
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Brendan
Please note on all Carlson Visa cards:
"Foreign Transaction
2% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in U.S. Dollars
3% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in a Foreign Currency."

I'm disappointed by this- so, whenever I travel outside U.S. and use this cc to pay for my Club Carlson hotel stay, I'll have to pay an additional 3% FTF. I think they should have waived the fee for at least hotel stays..even Priority Club Visa offers no FTF.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
I'm disappointed by this- so, whenever I travel outside U.S. and use this cc to pay for my Club Carlson hotel stay, I'll have to pay an additional 3% FTF. I think they should have waived the fee for at least hotel stays..even Priority Club Visa offers no FTF.
US Bank has a knack for slapping idiotic FTFs on their travel-oriented cards. My only chipped card is the US Bank Flexperks card...but due to the FTF, I won't be using it overseas unless I have no other choice. Really dumb...I don't know that US Bank even has any cards without a FTF.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Miles+, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by onthego15
Club Carlson says the new credit card will be here on December 1:
http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/alert.do
The link above does not work. This is the correct link: http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/welcome.do
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by HansDKNY
The link above does not work. This is the correct link: http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/welcome.do
Correct. The link I posted was only to the preliminary page. But obviously the correct pages are well known by now as many folks have already applied for the new card.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
What's worst about the above FTF is that it also applies to purchases made in USD ! I got burned a few years ago in Curacao by Diners' Club which had just started that rule, so my US$160 camera cost me US$164.80 !
I plan to use my Visa bonuses + my generous Stay 1 Get 1 bonuses for free rooms in Europe next Aug./Sep., but while there I shall use my FTF-free Chase cards everywhere but at Radissons!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsmith12
I don't understand your use of the word "even". It's simply that Chase it the bank that offers the Priority Club Visa, and Chase is the bank that has no FTF on any of their hotel cards (Marriott, Hyatt, and Priority Club).

Citi has the 3% or whatever FTF on their no-fee HHOnors Visa (though I think the $95/year Reserve may get rid of FTF?).

Amex has the 2% or 3% or whatever FTF on their HHonors and SPG cards.

Barclays (aka Juniper) has the 3% or whatever FTF on all their hotel cards (including Choice, Best Western, and Wyndham Rewards).

So Chase is the only bank that consistently gives no FTF on their hotel cards (at least the mainly-promoted versions of the cards).

... I'm already used to paying for overseas Hilton and SPG and Choice and Best Western and WyndhamRewards hotels with my Marriott card, because of the no FTF on the Marriott card. Club Carlson would simply be one more...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.