Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club Carlson Credit Card (now available)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I looked a few hours ago and nothing was there, nice to see it live.

Perusing through the information I'm finding nothing about forex so I'm assuming there is a fee. That would suck.

Nevermind, I found it: 3% on foreign purchase transactions. And worse is 2% on foreign purchases based in USD. The utility of this card, other than getting for the points only, has just gone way down for me.

Edit: For the 50K and bonus award night this is worth getting. My concern is the wording for the bonus night:

When you redeem Gold Points for Award Nights of two or more consecutive nights at the same participating Carlson Rezidor hotel property...
Does this mean the hotel is part of Carlson, which would be rather innocuous, or that a hotel has the option of opting out of this arrangement?

Last edited by dsquared37; Dec 1, 2012 at 1:30 am
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:19 am

Doesn't look like the first year fee is waved, so I'll have to take that into account. Even just the 50K would be worth the fee though.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Nevermind, I found it: 3% on foreign purchase transactions. And worse is 2% on foreign purchases based in USD. The utility of this card, other than getting for the points only, has just gone way down for me.

Edit: For the 50K and bonus award night this is worth getting. My concern is the wording for the bonus night:

Does this mean the hotel is part of Carlson, which would be rather innocuous, or that a hotel has the option of opting out of this arrangement?
+1 on both points. I'll probably still get the card, but I probably won't use it too much after getting the bonuses since I mostly stay at hotels outside the U.S. The extra free night on points could be awesome, if most hotels participate.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by clublounger
It's LIVE !!!!

Just applied.

Great feature....Book 2 or more nights using points, and the last night is FREE.
So, a 2 night stay using points (not cash and points) would only require the amount of points for one night.

3 cards available. Generous opening bonuses (up to 85,000 points) PLUS generous renewal bonuses.

Hope I'm approved !
Very nice benefits!

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I looked a few hours ago and nothing was there, nice to see it live.

Perusing through the information I'm finding nothing about forex so I'm assuming there is a fee. That would suck.

Yeah, I have the same problem with the Taca Lifemiles Visa, I even had to pay the taxes with the CSP because of the Forex fee. Must be common to all the US Bank cards. Well, I only just got the Lifemiles Visa so I think I am out for this one until next year, maybe could try the old Chase-style re-allocating of credit lines.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
New Club Carlson Credit Card (now available)

I'm actually pretty impressed with the offer!

Better than expected sign-up bonus (if you include the points you get for the spend during the first three months), 2for1 award redemptions and not the most horrible earnings potential on everyday spend. There are not that many cards out there that will get you an award redemption at their highest tier award properties for $10k in everyday spend. (Naturally you have to be interested in staying in their top tier hotels.)

One other thing I like is that the annual renewal bonus is in the form of points and not a voucher for a night at a certain category hotel good for one night within a year. With this option you are not required to use it within a year like you are with other hotel chains like Hyatt, Marriott and IC.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 1, 2012 at 10:56 am
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The only thing I wish this card had was no foreign transaction fees. I would have jumped on this if it didn't have that.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Interesting, this looks like the typical credit card for the US market. Congrats to those who can take advantage of it. It will be interesting to see what they have in mind for Europe.

While I am okay with the number of points that will be created this way (it is not that bad compared with all the promotions and I am sure that most of those that go for the credit card will never use them outside the US), regular customers that were loyal until now will loose out. Not Concierge customers though, they become more valuable since everybody will be silver or gold in the future, so that's nothing special any more.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Rojomojo
Doesn't look like the first year fee is waved, so I'll have to take that into account. Even just the 50K would be worth the fee though.
If you go to the "Compare Cards" section of the Credit Card page and scroll way down to the bottom of the page, you will find a link to: "Learn more about the Club Carlson Rewards Visa Card with No Annual Fee".
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Here is the link:

http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/welcome.do

Has US Bank relaxed their credit card criteria?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Here is the link:

http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/welcome.do

Has US Bank relaxed their credit card criteria?
Not enough for some people.

The bonus award night is going to be huge for some people until and unless the terms of that benefit are made customer-unfriendly. For now, this benefit is big.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:46 am

The 2 for 1 award redemption is about the only reason anyone would want to keep this card beyond the first year. 40k points for $75 or 25k points for $50 is not all that much.

You can still enjoy that benefit of the card if someone you know has the card. Just transfer your CC points to them and let them make the booking for you. Voila! Instant 2 for 1 award for non credit card holders.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
T&C states that you can only book the room for yourself on the 2-1. We'll see how that'll be implemented in practice, but I'd not take a chance on that.

Originally Posted by Campath
The 2 for 1 award redemption is about the only reason anyone would want to keep this card beyond the first year. 40k points for $75 or 25k points for $50 is not all that much.

You can still enjoy that benefit of the card if someone you know has the card. Just transfer your CC points to them and let them make the booking for you. Voila! Instant 2 for 1 award for non credit card holders.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by aarato
T&C states that you can only book the room for yourself on the 2-1. We'll see how that'll be implemented in practice, but I'd not take a chance on that.
So the CC holder makes the booking for himself and adds you as a guest.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Campath
I think you are forgetting that the 40k points for the annual renewal essentially mean you are getting 80k IF you redeem those points on a 2for1 award redemption. That's 2 free nights in a Cat. 3 hotel or 91% of a Cat 4 2 night redemption and 80% of a Cat. 5 2 night redemption. Not a bad return for $75 annual fee IMHO but to teach his own.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thumbs down

They just completely diluted Gold elite and left their NON US members high and dry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.