Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Carlson | Club Carlson
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 28, 12, 9:57 am   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Willow Grove, PA USA
Posts: 196
Radisson Aruba Review

Here is the link to my blog post about our stay at the Radisson Aruba. http://frugaltravellawyer.wordpress....-aruba-review/
yesletsski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 13, 7:44 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nyc
Programs: aa
Posts: 251
this hotel is 50,000 points a night?
jada135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 13, 7:49 pm   #3
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,605
.............

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Feb 20, 13 at 7:50 am.. Reason: outdated
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 13, 7:49 am   #4
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jada135 View Post
this hotel is 50,000 points a night?
you think low or high. IMO seems about right considering it is a 'nice' Caribbean resort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesletsski View Post
.. our stay at the Radisson Aruba.
why only one night? Where else did you stay?
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 13, 8:05 am   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Willow Grove, PA USA
Posts: 196
Update: Here is the link to my blog post about our January 2013 stay for 6 nights http://frugaltravellawyer.com/2013/0...on-aruba-2013/
__________________
Frugal Travel Lawyer
www.FrugalTravelLawyer.com
yesletsski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 13, 8:10 am   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Willow Grove, PA USA
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
you think low or high. IMO seems about right considering it is a 'nice' Caribbean resort.why only one night? Where else did you stay?
In 2012 we spent one night at the Radisson and three nights at the Hyatt.
Last month we stayed 6 nights at the Radisson and three nights at the Hyatt. There is only one hotel between these properties and we were able to walk with our luggage along the beach path.

In this post I compare the two hotels. http://frugaltravellawyer.com/2013/0...tels-in-aruba/

With the new Club Carlson VISA, 50,000 points for two nights at the Radisson high season is a fabulous deal. We used 100,000 points and two free nights from their free night promotion for our six night stay.
__________________
Frugal Travel Lawyer
www.FrugalTravelLawyer.com

Last edited by yesletsski; Feb 20, 13 at 8:16 am..
yesletsski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 6:43 am   #7
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesletsski View Post
Update...
Thanks for posting, I'm heading to this property in Dec 2013.

Seeing as Aruba has a heavy Dutch influence, anyone know of a good rijstaffel restaurant? I'm assuming there has to be a few on the island.
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 13, 11:37 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 101
I'm also going in Dec, and using our 2 free nights and club carlson points on either end , just as you did! Were you able to get access to the lounge?
Thanks!
lyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 13, 10:50 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 228
The hotel does not seem to offer an option to redeem points for a stay in December or part of January.
Severe capacity control.
It is supposed to be 50K points but all I see is rates when I do a search.

RM
Rumeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 13, 12:09 pm   #10
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumeli View Post
The hotel does not seem to offer an option to redeem points for a stay in December or part of January.
Severe capacity control.
It is supposed to be 50K points but all I see is rates when I do a search.

RM
The hotel did, I think you are too late, I have 50k point reservations for both late Dec & early Jan, this includes NYE. I actually had to add on days, so I know there was plenty of availability for months at the 50k rate, even during ultra high demand times such as Christmas & NYE.


Just got word back from the concierge at the hotel that there is no parking charge for parking a car at the Radisson Blu Aruba
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 13, 9:44 pm   #11
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,605
good thread from Caribbean forum on activities/dining while on Aruba as well as a video on arrival info at AUA:

Aruba Travel Advice

-
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 14, 7:21 am   #12
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: AA,UA,BA,SPG,IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, UR, MR
Posts: 165
Does anyone have a recent stay at this property and have any tips, pointers, or just otherwise useful info to share about this resort? Will be staying there with family of four on an upcoming award stay (two preteens). Just looking for basic info on kid friendly things to see and do, as well as overall quality of resort and must see or do attractions. Thanks
jhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 14, 7:07 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
Posts: 92
My wife and I stayed in Feb for six nights. It is a nice property, and has a good beach location. We stayed the first night at the HI, and it is a dump in comparison. We initially were upgraded to a partial ocean view, and paid points for the club level This gave a full ocean view, and lounge access. It was 30K a night, which is a bit steep. For a full family it may make sense as you get full breakfast, and evening snacks (with adult drinks). The breakfast brunch was about $40 for two, if I remember correctly.

We did the DePalm island which was a good choice. You get drinks and food included. Snorkel equipment, and tube ride. Just grab some fries when you snorkel and the fish will love you.

We also did the depalm offroad truck tour to the back of the island, and into the natural pool. This was nice to see the dry side of the island, and swim in the pools.

We did rent a car through Avis who was the cheapest, but a big pain in the butt. They rented our car before we arrived even though it was prepaid. We did travel the island and saw all the beaches. Baby beach is good for young kids, but if old enough to swim may not be worth the trouble to see. We rented snorkel equipment outside the hotel for a couple days and stopped at all the coves.

If you leave the hotel and go toward the light house you will see some public beaches before you go up the hill. In this one we saw as many fish as we saw on the island, baby beach or anywhere else. As I said take bread or something to feed them (I grabbed a few bagels at breakfast) and the fish will hang out with you till you get out of the water. You will see the snorkel boats all pull up in this cove. Other than that you can stay by the hotel and enjoy the water.

Food is a little pricey around the island. There is a giant grocery store on the main, on the right from the airport. If you can get back there to get food/drinks you can save a little. The lounge access will also help a great deal.

I am a gold via the CC credit card. Have fun.
vic2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 14, 6:44 am   #14
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: AA,UA,BA,SPG,IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, UR, MR
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2010 View Post
My wife and I stayed in Feb for six nights. It is a nice property, and has a good beach location. We stayed the first night at the HI, and it is a dump in comparison. We initially were upgraded to a partial ocean view, and paid points for the club level This gave a full ocean view, and lounge access. It was 30K a night, which is a bit steep. For a full family it may make sense as you get full breakfast, and evening snacks (with adult drinks). The breakfast brunch was about $40 for two, if I remember correctly.

We did the DePalm island which was a good choice. You get drinks and food included. Snorkel equipment, and tube ride. Just grab some fries when you snorkel and the fish will love you.

We also did the depalm offroad truck tour to the back of the island, and into the natural pool. This was nice to see the dry side of the island, and swim in the pools.

We did rent a car through Avis who was the cheapest, but a big pain in the butt. They rented our car before we arrived even though it was prepaid. We did travel the island and saw all the beaches. Baby beach is good for young kids, but if old enough to swim may not be worth the trouble to see. We rented snorkel equipment outside the hotel for a couple days and stopped at all the coves.

If you leave the hotel and go toward the light house you will see some public beaches before you go up the hill. In this one we saw as many fish as we saw on the island, baby beach or anywhere else. As I said take bread or something to feed them (I grabbed a few bagels at breakfast) and the fish will hang out with you till you get out of the water. You will see the snorkel boats all pull up in this cove. Other than that you can stay by the hotel and enjoy the water.

Food is a little pricey around the island. There is a giant grocery store on the main, on the right from the airport. If you can get back there to get food/drinks you can save a little. The lounge access will also help a great deal.

I am a gold via the CC credit card. Have fun.
Thanks very much for the helpful review. We also will be spending first night at HI, thanks to the recent ihg half off points for Caribbean hotels. Sad to hear it's a bit dumpy. Sounds like our next four nights will be at a great place, at least. We also planned on a Depalm island day trip, so glad to hear it was worth the money. Also are Gold thanks to cc and was hoping for potential upgrade, so that sounds promising. One question on Depalm island. Does the water park consist of anything substantial or just a couple of water slides, and suitable for 10-12 year olds? thanks
jhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 14, 10:28 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 52
I have a trip planned for Aruba. I was going to book at the Radisson Aruba when it was going for 50k a night, but now only 75k a night is available. However, i only have enough points for two nights. What was dumpy about HI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2010 View Post
My wife and I stayed in Feb for six nights. It is a nice property, and has a good beach location. We stayed the first night at the HI, and it is a dump in comparison. We initially were upgraded to a partial ocean view, and paid points for the club level This gave a full ocean view, and lounge access. It was 30K a night, which is a bit steep. For a full family it may make sense as you get full breakfast, and evening snacks (with adult drinks). The breakfast brunch was about $40 for two, if I remember correctly.

We did the DePalm island which was a good choice. You get drinks and food included. Snorkel equipment, and tube ride. Just grab some fries when you snorkel and the fish will love you.

We also did the depalm offroad truck tour to the back of the island, and into the natural pool. This was nice to see the dry side of the island, and swim in the pools.

We did rent a car through Avis who was the cheapest, but a big pain in the butt. They rented our car before we arrived even though it was prepaid. We did travel the island and saw all the beaches. Baby beach is good for young kids, but if old enough to swim may not be worth the trouble to see. We rented snorkel equipment outside the hotel for a couple days and stopped at all the coves.

If you leave the hotel and go toward the light house you will see some public beaches before you go up the hill. In this one we saw as many fish as we saw on the island, baby beach or anywhere else. As I said take bread or something to feed them (I grabbed a few bagels at breakfast) and the fish will hang out with you till you get out of the water. You will see the snorkel boats all pull up in this cove. Other than that you can stay by the hotel and enjoy the water.

Food is a little pricey around the island. There is a giant grocery store on the main, on the right from the airport. If you can get back there to get food/drinks you can save a little. The lounge access will also help a great deal.

I am a gold via the CC credit card. Have fun.
MountainManDuy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:52 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.