Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Glasgow (scotland)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Radisson Blu Glasgow (scotland)

Any recent trip reports for this property? I'm particularly interested in how strong is the internet connection in the guest room.
Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:31 pm

Seems not to be a proper thread for this hotel. So, I guess this one will do.

We just finished a two night stay. Overall, I found the experience to be excellent. It's a very nice property, with a good location. It's adjacent to Central Station. We arrived on the airport bus from Edinburgh, and it was about a 15 to 20 minute leisurely walk down the Buchanan pedestrian street from the bus station -- we took our time because it was a beautiful, crisp evening.

I booked the "family room" for 1 adult and 1 child using points -- it was 11,000 points more than the standard room. From the description, I was sort of expecting that it would be a suite of sorts, and it said there would be a "sofa bed in room." As it turns out, it was just a regular room, with a rolling bed placed in front of the window. I think the room was slightly bigger than some of the other rooms in the hotel -- there is a portion of the hotel that juts out above Argyle street and our room was in that part. According to the web site, the standard room is 28 square meters and the "family" room is 35 square meters, so definitely a little bigger, but it's really just a standard room with enough room for them to fit the rolling bed. So, I think the extra 11,000 points was mainly for a few extra perks -- free tv movies (didn't take advantage), a nespresso machine (did take advantage) and breakfast (definitely the primary benefit). It's possible that they actually did not give us the true "family" room -- the hotel was very crowded with both a One Direction concert and a Scotland National team football game occurring on our second night, plus we got there at night so maybe they squeezed us in to a regular room, threw in a rolling bed, and called it the "family room." Unlikely -- since it had the aforementioned nespresso machine -- but possible.

I didn't see the cost of breakfast, but I suppose 11,000 points is probably fair for the breakfast for two of us. The restaurant was very nice, with a wide assortment in the buffet and the ability to order coffee drinks. There were traditional English favorites, European stuff, and American favorites. I think there were some Asian choices, but very limited.

The staff was wonderful. We had no special requests, but everyone without fail was lovely -- and that kind of goes for the entirety of Glasgow. There is a nice bar and comfortable seating in the lobby -- you can get food late at night at the bar, but I think it's just the limited all hours room service menu. There was a pool table in the lobby as well, and everything is decorated in very modern decor, including some slick glass elevators. There's a second bar in the hotel that opens to the street and so it caters both to the public and and to guests, while the main restaurant seemed to be mostly guests. The fixtures and amenities in the room were very nice. We are gold members by virtue of the credit card, and they gave us a bottle of still water and a chocolate treat each night. Not sure if that's the result of the premium room or status.

The location is perfect for the train station. We had an early train out on our second morning, and it could not have been easier. The area right around the hotel is fine, but it's got that "near the train station" feel. It had the regular services you expect around a major train station, like the all night McDonalds and grab and go restaurants, etc. There are definitely parts of Glasgow that seemed more picturesque and this seemed just a bit more urban. Not unsafe by any means. There was an active pub right across the street with affordable pub type food and even a few esoteric options. We were there for the football game, and so only had one day to sightsee, so we decided on the hop on hop off bus, which I would recommend highly for an orientation to Glasgow. We stopped off at the Kelvingrove art museum (highly recommended) and Glasgow University. The stop for the bus is literally right outside the hotel, and it comes by every 20 or 30 minutes depending on the season. The concierge gave us vouchers for 1 pound off, and it was quite affordable.

Internet was fast, easy and free.

Very positive experience. We picked it for location and because I made the reservation right around the time that the two for one credit card night was disappearing and I wanted to use that benefit. But it turned out to be a very nice option in an excellent city.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum, BA Gold
I live in Edinburgh but regularly use this hotel if I'm having a night out in Glasgow. Location wise its great, right in the city centre. Rooms are modern, spacious, quiet and very clean. Breakfast buffet has a good selection.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:42 pm

Upcoming F&F stay

Thanks for posting the nice review! We have a one night stay booked next June to end the Scotish segment of our trip. I was able to book the friends and family rate (became available about 9 months out I think). I am thinking of the Alston Bar & Beef in the train station for dinner...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Zhaunk
Thanks for posting the nice review! We have a one night stay booked next June to end the Scotish segment of our trip. I was able to book the friends and family rate (became available about 9 months out I think). I am thinking of the Alston Bar & Beef in the train station for dinner...
Hope you had a nice stay - Alston is very good.

I stay at this hotel every 2-3 weeks so subscribing to this thread now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.