Santo Domingo SDQ to Port au Prince PAP

Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue-US Air Dividned Miles-American Airines Advantage
Santo Domingo SDQ to Port au Prince PAP

Hi, question and I can't seem to get it answered. Here we go. We want to fly to Santo Domingo, DR from Syracuse, NY, but return back to the United States from Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Most, if not all, of these countries have a requirement that you need a "ticket to leave." Which we do, a ticket to leave Haiti, but not really a ticket that I can show them to leave the Dominican Republic. Will we have a problem even boarding the airplane in Syracuse being that we don't have the ticket to leave.

The airline that we will be flying to Port-au-Prince from Santo Domingo is Tortug Air, which does not have ticketing capabilities in the US. Any informatin would be helpful, thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:53 am

Ahh.... Tortug Air! My favorite little Haitian airline! Have you tried calling Tortug Air to see what they advise? Their toll-free is 1-866-211-1554, and their web site is http://www.tortugair.com. Or better yet, are you traveling with an organization of some sort that has done this before? They (the airline) might be able to send you something. My experience with Tortug is that they're a pretty competent airline.

Your other option would be to purchase a Y ticket to Santo Domingo, so you can show them a ticket out, and then have it refunded when you return to the States.

You will not encounter any problems in Syracuse that I'm aware of.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue-US Air Dividned Miles-American Airines Advantage
Arrow Tortug Air

I have attempted calling Tortug Air, and have successfully got through on the toll-free number. But, it is difficult to find someone there who speaks English.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by jamesdalphonse
I have attempted calling Tortug Air, and have successfully got through on the toll-free number. But, it is difficult to find someone there who speaks English.
I wondered if that might be the case. Have you flown with them, or through PAP before? Not sure about Santo Domingo, but your trip through PAP will be much more pleasant if you've got a Haitian (or a Creole speaker) with you.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:05 pm

Thread long dead, but in case anyone seeking similar information comes through on a search:

I had a ticket on Copa from ORD to SDQ, and a return ticket from PAP to ORD. I planned on taking the Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Cap Haitien, and then had a flight from CAP to PAP. Copa would not let me board without proof of leaving the Dominican Republic, saying that they couldn't accept my outbound Haiti flight as proof, and that immigration in Santo Domingo would require this as well (fast forward-they didn't, they just want their $10 at landing). I even showed them the email from Caribe Tours saying they didn't offer online ticketing and I would have to show up at their office in Santo Domingo to buy the tickets. I ended up Googling and having to buy a ticket online from apparently the only bus company that runs between DR and HT and issues online receipts (Capital Coachline), then email the receipt from my smartphone to the Copa checkin desk (as I was standing in front of them), and barely made my flight.

Bureaucracy at its best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.