Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

NAS Nassau airport questions, issues, lounge etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2007, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE

I have a question for anyone familiar with Nassau airport. Would it be possible to deplane from an ex-USA flight and remain in the US customs sterile area? In other words, are you directed immediately into customs/immigration once stepping off of the plane like in the US, or are you allowed airside once deplaning.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2013 at 10:21 am Reason: restore original post title
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:06 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
My experience in both Nassau and Freeport is that you are directed into customs & immigration directly.

Having said that, I don't know if it might be possible otherwise.

Greg
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question NAS preclearance with Global Entry

I've a slightly related question also about the thread's title: does the US preclearance @ NAS have a Global Entry kiosk?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Hertz Gold Member ,Avis Preferred, DL SKYCLUB
No it does not.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Your directed into the customs area automatically, and cannot remain in the US pre-clearance area... Similar to Canada.. When you land from the states, you aren't allowed to enter the US preclearance area.. Instead you must go to Canada Customs
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
NAS - Duty Free Shopping ?

Is there a Duty Free area in NAS ? I know I clear US immigration there, but will I be able to buy any liquor/cosmetics etc at discounted prices prior to my flight back to the US? I do know that there are duty free stores in Nassau, but I will only have carry on.

Last edited by mauld; Jul 14, 2012 at 6:35 am
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
Is there a Duty Free area in NAS ? I know I clear US immigration there, but will I be able to buy any liquor/cosmetics etc at discounted prices prior to my flight back to the US? I do know that there are duty free stores in Nassau, but I will only have carry on.
yes there is a duty free area in Nassau.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
How much time departing Nassau / NAS?

My wife and I are headed to Nassau/Paradise Island for a few days next month. I have read several places online that recommend arriving at the airport 3 hours ahead of time for departures to the US due to the long lines for security and US customs/immigration preclearance. I was hoping some of you might have had firsthand experience and would be able to tell me whether that 3 hours is accurate, or is excessive (as I am inclined to believe).

ps, if it matters we are departing on the DL flight to LGA around 3:15pm on a tuesday.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:59 pm

Two hours is sufficient... once on US Immigration/Custom line one hour Thirty mins prior to your flight.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:26 am

thanks melvin
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:47 am

I will share my experience for anyone who may be interested in the future. We arrived approximately 2.5 hours prior to our flight. When i checked in online the DL website told me that 120 minutes was the minimum check in time, so I was extra concerned after seeing that warning.

However, when we arrived at the airport, the US departure terminal was quite dead, and we were through Customs/Immigration, and security in less than 30 minutes from the time we walked through the airport door. This included a bathroom break, and some confusion about where to get our customs form (have to see an agent, rather than just use the kiosk). There was zero line for either security or immigration. I suppose it could be worse at other times/season, but the 2 hour minimum really seemed like a joke. Thankfully our priority pass got us into the Graycliff lounge for a couple Bahama Mamas to cap off our trip.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for your post inagaddadavida, I'll be down in NAS next week for a quick trip and was concerned about the 3 hr time as well. We won't have anything to declare (aside from a bottle or 2 of duty free liquor purchased at the airport), and just carry on luggage. We'll be flying back next Monday around noon on UA. Hubby is NOT the most patient man, and would not want to hang around the airport any longer than necessary
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Lounge in NAS - Sir Lynden Pindling International airport

USA Departures

Lounge Name: Graycliff Divans lounge
Telephone: 001 242 302 9192
Hours Open: 06:00 - 22:00 daily
Access: Priority Pass, Diners Club, daily pass ($25)
Guest fee: $25 guest fee; children under 12 admitted free.
Amenities: Air conditioning, disabled access, newspapers, television, complimentary Wi-Fi, snacks, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages; $10 food voucher.

BUT NOTE
per our visit 1 Mar 2013: There are no snacks or beverages of any kind, even water, IN the lounge; you must ask the hostess, who is actually the shop operator (you access the lounge through the shop). We were not notified of any voucher for food or beverages, so it seems you must be aware of the offer and request it. There is no lav / WC; you must depart the lounge and walk to your left in the terminal corridor to access the WCs (and of course, now showers). There were no newspapers or other reading material either. The lounge was comfortable, air con was pretty high (it was chilly) and getting water, etc. was inconvenient as we had to go to the door, get the attendant / store operator's attention and request whatever we wanted.
The lounge accommodates non-smokers and smokers - there is a sun deck for smokers and a $15 access smoking lounge. The entire 5,600 sq ft area is air conditioned and there is complimentary WiFi and "a complimentary drink from the bar" ($10 meal voucher upon admission).

"The lounge has a Graycliff Boutique that offers Graycliff Cigars, cigarettes, Graycliff Coffee and Chocolates and various gift items. A Graycliff Boutique offers Graycliff Cigars, cigarettes, Graycliff Coffee and Chocolates and various gift items." (The lounge is actually accessed through the Graycliff Boutique - the store operator collects fees, etc.)

Graycliff Divan lounge and boutique (changing photos)

Terminal 1 (Non-USA flights)

Lounge Name: Arawak Lounge by Graycliff
Telephone: 001 242 377 1095 / Fax: 001 242 326 6188
Hours Open: Sun, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat. 10:30 - 22:30; Mon & Thu 10:30 - 15:00
Access: International flights passengers only. Dress code applies. Diners Club, Airport Angel.
Guest fees: $25, children under 2 admitted free when accompanying an adult.

Arawak Lounge by Graycliff

I'll update early March 2013...

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm Reason: update actual snacks / beverages policy
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
US-bound passengers, please note:

NOTE: Immediately following the sequestration announcement, as of Friday March 1, it seems the USCBP has stopped paying overtime which has resulted in an effective staffing cut in many locations. It appears NAS is one of these locations - we had virtually no queues at the airline check in counter for American Eagle, short efficient queue to process security to to get airside, but then experienced a 30 minute long, lengthy queue to process USCBP. More staff arrived at 9:00 AM and things began moving a bit more rapidly, but this was on a day and time when outgoing traffic is light - so be aware and leave yourself plenty of time in the airport. (And, NO, there is no provision for Global Entry nor any kind of a priority queue.)

We spent a bit of time in the Graycliff Divans lounge, but honestly consider this a most unnecessary expense - the lounge is nice, but service is bare bones and by request only. The gate lounges (and lavs) are clean and not uncomfortable.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:47 am

Question Do I need to do immigration/customs?

How long does it take to do immigration and customs(no Bags) in Nassau, then go to the US Departures terminal and do the US customs and Immigration?

Last edited by eloraculo; Apr 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm Reason: more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.