Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Local cuisine and great bars in Barbados?

Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Questions:

1. What are some places to get great, authentic Bajan cuisine. Could be a nice place or a roadside shack. The food matters, not the atmosphere.

2. Some suggestions for bars of various types, rum shacks, good day drinks, beach bars, clubs for the evening, etc...

3. Are the Mt. Gay or Banks brewery tours worth doing?

4. Any other info you feel is pertinent

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
We spent a week on Barbados last year. Here was our list of favorites.

+ Harrison's Cave
+ Diving (or snorkeling) with sea turtles
+ Mount Gay tour
+ Oistins Fish Fry on Friday (with fried flying fish and seasoned wedges from Fred's)
+ Happy hour at Castaways (or, for a later happy hour with great live music, My Friend's Place, if Alex is playing; in any case, skip Cafe Sol)
+ Delicious, unpretentious Jamaican food and drinks at Irie (if they warn you that something is spicy, believe them!)
+ Leisurely breakfasts at Bliss and Happy Days in the Gap
+ Fish cutters at Sea Ya (at Dover Beach) and Cuz's (at Needham's Point)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, so Mt. Gay tour was worth it. What did you hear about he Banks Brewery tour? I've heard it's all you can drink haha. Any other suggestions on spots to get Bajan food and places to go out at night around the Gap would be welcome.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Any opinion on the Weds dinner & show at Harbour Lights? Looks like they offer transfers to/from your hotel, dinner and open bar from 7-12 (with dinner) that then continues until 2am after it transitions into a club. 7pm-2am open bar + transfers & dinner is pretty tough to argue with.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
If you're looking for an exciting local cuisine, Barbados might, in my experience, not be the best island to visit. Apart from the fried flying fish, I can't think of anything really typically Bajan. And I've visited 4 times.

A place like Trinidad, or Jamaica, has a much stronger local culinary culture.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.