Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upscale Resorts (Caribbean)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 9:32 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by amazed
@ surftb15 How was the Viceroy?

Also what do you think of the Amanyara Aman Resort
Have two clients who love this place and return every year (multiple times even). Most others think it's extremely pricey for what it is (although they do say it is beautiful). Same sentiment echoed as per above - service and food not up to Aman's high standard.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by amazed
@ surftb15 How was the Viceroy?

Also what do you think of the Amanyara Aman Resort
Stayed at the amanyara two years ago. As another poster commented, it is far from the other resorts to the point where you should either resign yourself to eating all meals on property or make sure you rent a car as the $200+ round trip for car transfer to restaurants gets a bit steep.

Consider me +1 for being disappointed with service and food at amanyara. I would not go back. That said, even at full capacity, the resort did not feel crowded, at all. Beautifully designed.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:05 pm

Hermitage Bay comes closest.

I've been disappointed with lunch at La Semanna in St. Martin. Nice hotel, but the food was middling.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:48 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by juuceman
Hermitage Bay comes closest.
Another good suggestion in Antigua. Adult vibe, no children

Some of my best island meals aa213bb have been when the local chefs went off menu and made me their fav meals. It isn't fancy, but it is authentic and unlike what I can eat at home.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by DrGiggles
Stayed at the amanyara two years ago. As another poster commented, it is far from the other resorts to the point where you should either resign yourself to eating all meals on property or make sure you rent a car as the $200+ round trip for car transfer to restaurants gets a bit steep.

Consider me +1 for being disappointed with service and food at amanyara. I would not go back. That said, even at full capacity, the resort did not feel crowded, at all. Beautifully designed.
Talked to my wife about it last nights. In spite of the lackluster service and food she wants to go back. The beach and water there are amazing and it's truly a beautiful setting.

Fdw
Old May 25, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Some of my best island meals aa213bb have been when the local chefs went off menu and made me their fav meals. It isn't fancy, but it is authentic and unlike what I can eat at home.
Exactly! In fact, while many on here have decried Amanyaras F&B, we enjoyed our dinners, which primarily consisted of off menu Thai and Pinoy dishes the chefs were excited to prepare for us upon learning of our love for their cuisine.

Caveat, this was now almost 3 years ago.

We've also eaten well in Anguilla and Nevis ... especially away from resorts.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yara had good reports in 2013, then gutted management/staff
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25735986
(amanresorts corporate ownership changed in early 2014)

i agree re off the menu, ethnic, private dining, etc at resorts
i also think quality is possible at some properties and islands

guana island seems pretty unique, i look forward to it in future

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 9, 2016 at 9:51 pm
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:52 am

If you are big foodie, Anguilla may be your choice, it has more restaurants also outside the resorts that are very good. Anguilla has the 4 five star hotels; Viceroy, Cap Juluca, Malliouhana and Cuisinart but looking at them closely all of them are very old and start to be tired except Viceroy (which is now rumored to be FS instead), a new resort has opened also on the famed shoal bay beach; Zemi beach resort. Have heard good things about it and it has good reviews, seem to have two restaurants on site.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:40 pm

Anguilla has many very good restaurants. Hands down, it tops all other Caribbean islands we have visited in terms of food quality.

The Malliouhana has been renovated recently. (its under new management/ownership)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discussion seems to have slowed down, so let's see if this thread can get a second life in the Caribbean forum.

RichardInSF
Moderator, luxury hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.