Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private/Personal Driver in Barbados

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Private/Personal Driver in Barbados

A group of eight of us will be visiting Barbados in October for a total of 7 days. We're looking into rental car options, it seems that a van a large enough to accommodate our group will cost about $600 USD for the week.

We're fine with the price, but my mother has visited the island several times and said that she wouldn't be willing to drive there, and that we should be aware that it's a scary place to drive. Anyone have opinions on driving in Barbados?

For this reason, we are considering hiring a driver. Has anyone done this? Know of any good drivers? I'm happy to hear any suggestions or advice.

We're staying at a private house on the east side of the island, not at a hotel, if it matters for any reason.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by inmts
A group of eight of us will be visiting Barbados in October for a total of 7 days. We're looking into rental car options, it seems that a van a large enough to accommodate our group will cost about $600 USD for the week.

We're fine with the price, but my mother has visited the island several times and said that she wouldn't be willing to drive there, and that we should be aware that it's a scary place to drive. Anyone have opinions on driving in Barbados?

For this reason, we are considering hiring a driver. Has anyone done this? Know of any good drivers? I'm happy to hear any suggestions or advice.

We're staying at a private house on the east side of the island, not at a hotel, if it matters for any reason.

I've driven around the island a number of times and haven't found driving to be any more or less hazardous than anywhere else.
Away from the capital the roads are fairly quiet and whilst Bajans drive in a fairly relaxed manner they never struck me as being any scarier than elsewhere.
I think your mother may be worrying unnecessarily.
Have you also considered the island's extensive bus system ?
www.transportboard.com
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I too didn't find it scary. We did hire a driver one day to do a tour which was actually great. The "scary" part might be the driving on the left thing if you're not used to such a thing. The roads in general are quite good though can be a little rough in the more remote parts of the island. If you're going out for a fun night of food and drink and one person isn't willing to be the DD all the time you might want to go with a driver for those nights or the whole trip. If you have a map or preferably a gps/phone with maps system that will make things easier.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are a "defensive" type driver, Barbados is a great place to drive
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by acysb87
If you are a "defensive" type driver, Barbados is a great place to drive
Agreed. I can't recall any problems on any islands other than Jamaica. Barbados is great, just have to remember to go to the correct lane when pulling out of parking lots, etc.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: BA
Driving in Barbados is fine, nothing to worry about at all. Bajans are generally kind drivers, willing to let you out of side roads etc. even if they have priority. A smile and a wave will get you far.

Things I would recommend are:
1) Sat-nav. Essential, especially if you're going to be on the east coast where signposting is not particularly clear.

2) Get a large car with a decent amount of power. Some of the hills inland are very steep and smaller hatchbacks struggle to get up the steepest ones.

3) Mind the potholes. Some are deceptively deep, especially on some of the remote roads which aren't used very often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.