Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Haiti trip - any sense to it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Haiti trip - any sense to it?

I noticed cheap airfares from Seattle to Port au Prince. So far as I know, and can tell from Canadian and US security pages, the situation in Haiti is not the greatest. But still, is it ridiculous to consider a tourist trip there?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I noticed cheap airfares from Seattle to Port au Prince. So far as I know, and can tell from Canadian and US security pages, the situation in Haiti is not the greatest. But still, is it ridiculous to consider a tourist trip there?
No. Some new hotels are already built and more are going up. And they can certainly use the money you will spend when you are there.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/haiti/southern-haiti/jacmel
--
13F
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. Of course my principal concern is safety, although it seems many have successful trips there.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Incredible country, like a trip to another planet, I highly recommend it.

Never any issues whatsoever with my own security, as a white man walked the streets of Port au Prince numerous times, never ever bothered by anyone.

Go for it!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:37 pm
Suspended

If your intent in a vacation is to just relax, and be pampered and experience an environment that is oriented to providing your entertainment and comfort at nearly all times, Haiti is not the place for you.

If, on the other hand, you are interested in a rewarding social and cultural exchange, and actually get some perspective as to the lives that many people experience that are nothing at all like your own, and you are comfortable interacting with and learning about very different people from those you associate with back home, by all means, go for Haiti.

It is also a place of natural beauty and extremely warm and spiritual people. But most of them earn less in a year than a typical luxury hotel elsewhere in the Caribbean charges for a 2-3 night stay. Keep that in mind during your time there.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
If your intent in a vacation is to just relax, and be pampered and experience an environment that is oriented to providing your entertainment and comfort at nearly all times, Haiti is not the place for you.

If, on the other hand, you are interested in a rewarding social and cultural exchange, and actually get some perspective as to the lives that many people experience that are nothing at all like your own, and you are comfortable interacting with and learning about very different people from those you associate with back home, by all means, go for Haiti.

It is also a place of natural beauty and extremely warm and spiritual people. But most of them earn less in a year than a typical luxury hotel elsewhere in the Caribbean charges for a 2-3 night stay. Keep that in mind during your time there.
I've never done the first, and I always try to do the second. But even in places where I have stayed in a $15-20/night room, that's often a week's earnings for the average person.

Wikitravel suggests women should not travel alone, so that's a concern for me:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Haiti
However, if I did go, I'd probably seek a guide.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:23 pm
Suspended

question:
1.do you speak French ?

if not, it will be a lot of hassle, even more than with your French...
there are big problems with infrastructure in Haiti, even bigger than in neighbouring Dominican Republic.
you can always fly there, and take a bus Carribe Tours to Dominican Republic for like 10-20 usd...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.