Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Is it possible? Private AND paid by points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Hey y'all,

Planning out a honeymoon and hoping to finance through Amex points (~250,000) and airline miles (well stocked on Star Alliance & AA). Caribbean seems to be the most logical place for us being on the east coast. I've done a lot of reading on the forums with some very helpful suggestions on redeeming points for more of the resort-type places. But what I'm unsure of, is -- is it possible to grab a place that is more private, anti family yet still big enough to be part of a points network?

I'm leaning toward no based on the research I've done here and elsewhere, but would love to be proven wrong. I do realize I'm asking for two things that are contradictory!

To help others that may search and find this thread, I found this one useful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carib...ints-only.html
But catering toward a type of place I don't think we want to stay (larger, not as private).

So does such a place exist -- chain enough to cash in on points, but remote enough for our tastes? In a dream world, a place like this would be where we end up - http://secretbay.dm/

Looking forward to trawling through the forums for more ideas...Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by seydou
...is it possible to grab a place that is more private, anti family yet still big enough to be part of a points network?
You can use the pay with points feature with Amex, or use FF miles for hotels. Neither would be considered a good value, but if you have them to burn...

Two years ago, we spent in a week at Calabash Cove in St. Lucia. Had a waterfront cottage and booked it with AA miles (I think it was ~350K miles). The resort has a total of 26 rooms, and I don't remember seeing kids. It was awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.