Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Going to Dominican Republic for bachata dancing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air

Hola!
Some friends and I are considering going to the DR, and the main reason we are going to dance. It may sound dumb, but we are bachateras and really want to do this.

I want to see Santo Domingo while in the DR, but where is the best place on the island for bachata dancing? I know bachata (and more dancing) is all over the island, but we want to go to only the best place(s)!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 2M, UA, Starwood Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Bachata and Merengue Festivals In the DR

At various times of the year there are festivals for Bachata and Merengue in several cities. There are also music concerts - recently attended one of a three day concert which full of joyful attendees - all 60K of them. Contacting the DR tourist board closest to you may help.

Last edited by mgreg; Dec 6, 2014 at 8:31 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgreg
At various times of the year there are festivals for Bachata and Merengue in several cities. There are also music concerts - recently attended one of a three day concert which full of joyful attendees - all 60K of them. Contacting the DR tourist board closest to you may help.
Thanks! Which festival did you go to? How was it?

Last edited by EtoileFilante; Dec 7, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by EtoileFilante
Thanks! Which festival did you go to? How was it?
I was in Santo Domingo a week before what the other poster may be referring to - Presidente Latin Music Festival 2014. It was a 3 day music fest in the beginning of October.

Typically you can go to any club and you'll be able to get a good dose of bachata. As a bachatero myself based in NY, I don't even have to leave the city.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
No specific place to go Bachata dancing, as others mentioned. I have to warn you that if you go to Santo Domingo, in the city center (metropolitan area), there are not many clubs that play bachata all night, most of them play a combination of electronic, reggaeton, hip-hop, merengue, and just a little bit of bachata every now and then. The place in Santo Domingo I could recommend is the "Jet Set" club. They play mostly latin (merengue-bachata-salsa), very nice ambience.

Another option could be the clubs located in Santo Domingo East, at Avenida Venezuela. Again, not bachata-exclusive, but a mix of latin (including bachata) and other genres.

Enjoy your stay in my beautiful island!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wellington
Typically you can go to any club and you'll be able to get a good dose of bachata. As a bachatero myself based in NY, I don't even have to leave the city.
You're lucky, here in Chicago, it's salsero central. That said, there are some small places in the city, and the scene for bachater@s is starting to grow here. Thank goodness
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B7e7US
No specific place to go Bachata dancing, as others mentioned. I have to warn you that if you go to Santo Domingo, in the city center (metropolitan area), there are not many clubs that play bachata all night, most of them play a combination of electronic, reggaeton, hip-hop, merengue, and just a little bit of bachata every now and then. The place in Santo Domingo I could recommend is the "Jet Set" club. They play mostly latin (merengue-bachata-salsa), very nice ambience.

Another option could be the clubs located in Santo Domingo East, at Avenida Venezuela. Again, not bachata-exclusive, but a mix of latin (including bachata) and other genres.

Enjoy your stay in my beautiful island!
Thanks for the suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.