Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Anyone concerned about chikungunya (virus / fever)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: spg gold

I would like to know what everyone thinks about Chikungunya. I just got back from a week in St Martin and never even saw a misquito, but it does have me wondering. It was reported today that the number of cases has double in two weeks to 100,000. Would you still travel there? Or should we all head to Hawaii?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I would like to know what everyone thinks about Chikungunya. I just got back from a week in St Martin and never even saw a misquito, but it does have me wondering. It was reported today that the number of cases has double in two weeks to 100,000. Would you still travel there? Or should we all head to Hawaii?
There are plenty of other Islands in the Caribbean, and if you live in the Eastern part of the U.S. Hawaii is a long haul. Maybe try the BVI? Or if you wanted to put some more distance between yourself and St. Maarten, perhaps Barbados, or the Dutch A B C Islands, or St. Vincent and the Grenadines, none of which are that proximate to St. Maarten.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:52 am
Original Poster

You can run but you cannot hide
“Since then, local transmission has been identified in 17 countries or territories in the Caribbean or South America (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and Saint Maarten),” they wrote in the CDC’s weekly report on illness and death.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Paging JDiver for imput
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:56 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I'm not concerned... and I live there. If you're worried, go to Puerto Rico - if something were to happen, the hospitals there are accustomed to dealing with mosquito-borne illnesses/tropical diseases.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by mkt
I'm not concerned... and I live there. If you're worried, go to Puerto Rico - if something were to happen, the hospitals there are accustomed to dealing with mosquito-borne illnesses/tropical diseases.
this. we have been dealing with the dengue mosquito (aedes aegipti ) for a while now

this mosquito and another one are the same one that spread this new stuff
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I am going to St Kitts this weekend and it looks like I'll be using my share of insect repellant.

The list of countries was updated by the CDC on Tuesday (7/1) and the Americas includes: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Martin (both sides), Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands.

So it looks like the entire Caribbean.

I am assuming it is just a matter of time before it hits the SE US.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:54 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Like all Mosquito borne diseases, its a question of exposure. If you are mostly seaside with strong breezes, the risk is lower. If you are in forest/jungles with damp conditions and standing water, risk is higher. I just got back from PNG. If its a disease that can kill you, its probably prevalent there. I wouldn't be any more concerned in the Caribbean (Haiti excluded, of course) than anything else. Be logical, bug spray evenings and at night, don't think I'd go as far as a mosquito net, but a celing fan to create a breeze might not be a bad idea. If you're trekking through the rainforest to the volcano then yes, the highest % DEET bug spray you can find (this isn't the time to mess with 'natural' products.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I started this thread 6 weeks ago, and now we over 500,000 case and two locally transmitted cases in the US. I agree with the last poster, stay where there is a breeze, mosquitoes don't have strong wings and they avoid a breeze. I have been surprised at the lack of interest on this subject, maybe I'm just being over cautious,however this virus sounds nasty.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:18 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I have two friends that have gotten, and are already over the symptoms of, this virus.

They're alive and well. If you're healthy, and you're responsible about seeking medical treatment when feel you need it, then you'll be fine.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:47 am

I just got back form a week in St Kitts. I was very concerned about the virus and we brought DEET based and Permethrin based repellent products (for topical use and to spray on our clothes).

Our condo was near the ocean and we had a decent breeze all day and night. We were able to keep the windows open without screens and never saw a mosquito.

I asked anyone who we met about the virus and almost all of the permanent residents were not very concerned about it. One bartender basically said that he got is and felt like crap for a week but that was about it.

So my take on it is that if you can stay in an area where there is good air movement and use repellents appropriately you do not have too much to worry about. Although I am sure that if you are already in a weakened state it could be a serious health issue.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Am laying on my bed on Grenada recovering having fallen foul of the Chik virus. Fever is abating but stiff and painful joints are the biggest inconvenience. A visit to the local hospital for prescription meds have helped ease the symptoms.

Fingers crossed that joint problem disappears soon.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by higham44
Am laying on my bed on Grenada recovering having fallen foul of the Chik virus. Fever is abating but stiff and painful joints are the biggest inconvenience. A visit to the local hospital for prescription meds have helped ease the symptoms.

Fingers crossed that joint problem disappears soon.
Sorry to hear of this and I hope that you get better quickly!!

In your stay in Grenada were you mostly on the beach or did you go inland a lot? Just asking as we go to the Caribbean frequently.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Visited La Sagesse beach twice and a beach near Crochu. Stayed at small lodging place inland for 4 nts (had mozzie net over bed). Hard to specify which location it might have happened.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by mkt
I have two friends that have gotten, and are already over the symptoms of, this virus.

They're alive and well. If you're healthy, and you're responsible about seeking medical treatment when feel you need it, then you'll be fine.
Two friends are an anecdote, not a statistic. That said, I wouldn't stay away from the Caribbean just because of chikungunya.

It should be noted that age does play a factor in how quickly you recover fully from the disease. Younger people recover in 5-15 days. Middle aged and older and you could be talking months to fully recover. The fever is relatively short-lived, but the joint issues can linger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.