Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Anyone concerned about chikungunya (virus / fever)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone concerned about chikungunya (virus / fever)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I just got back from a long weekend in St. Marteen, have numerous mosqutio bites all over the bottom of my legs, mostly from the knees down. They are big and swollen - the bite marks, not my legs
But I feel fine.

I never saw a mosquito, nor did I ever feel them bite me, but each night I had the little marks - so I think they bit me while I was at the beach or at dusk.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:38 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by QDDawg
I just got back from a long weekend in St. Marteen, have numerous mosqutio bites all over the bottom of my legs, mostly from the knees down. They are big and swollen - the bite marks, not my legs
But I feel fine.

I never saw a mosquito, nor did I ever feel them bite me, but each night I had the little marks - so I think they bit me while I was at the beach or at dusk.
If only from the knees down, and at dusk, they could be no see-ums.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:45 am

My wife almost cancelled our Disney cruise because she read about chikungunya. Then she realized if I am next to her, the mosquitoes will only bite me so she is okay with that LOL!

I just read about this news this morning:
http://time.com/3681770/gmo-mosquito-florida/

I kept thinking about the movie "Mimic"...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
For those interested in the spread of the virus, the Pan-American Health Organization has frequently updated statistics.

http://www.paho.org/hq/index.php?opt...=28820&lang=en

The virus is pretty well entrenched throughout the Caribbean and in Central America. The virus has already reached Mexico and the tropical parts of South America.

Currently there are 11 reported cases of locally transmitted or acquired cases of chikungunya in Florida. Since the spread of the virus in dependent on the presence of infected mosquitoes such as Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus, it will probably spread throughout the southern and southeastern US in 2015 and 2016.

Here is a CDC download that discusses the range of both mosquitoes in the US

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/...torControl.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.