Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Where to live in the Dominican Republic for a few months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G

Due to some work visa issues I need to work remotely for two to three months. Thinking very much about working in the Dominican Republic because (a) it's in a similar timezone to where I'm normally located, (b) it's Spanish-speaking and I just spent the past five weeks studying Spanish in Ecuador, (c) I'm used to the Caribbean climate.

I'm looking for some help in choosing a place to stay in DR. My needs are very different from your average tourists' since I'll be there for so long, and since I'll be working full time--so for example, I care a lot more about access to good gyms and supermarkets than I do beaches and hotels. I'll be on my own, so ideally someplace where it's very easy to meet people (locals and/or expats), preferably who won't treat me like an overflowing tourist gringo wallet.

In terms of costs, anything at or below your average mid-sized US city is fine for me. Can spend $1,000 a month on rent for a furnished apartment without a problem. Reliable internet access is a must. If there happen to be any rent-an-office places like you see in big cities in America that'd be very helpful so I wouldn't be stuck working out of my housing every day.

What else can I say about myself... I speak halfway decent Spanish, 28 and male, used to the Caribbean. (Suggestions for outside DR are also welcome.)

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Just a thought

but you might also try checking craiglist housing section for short term rentals to get an idea on prices. I'm not familiar with DR, but I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and visit it often. It also offers more flights to the US than what DR does, and has pretty much everything you are looking for, gym, language, transportation. etc. However, I've heard that living in the DR is certainly cheaper. St Thomas is also a possibility.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:39 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
Due to some work visa issues I need to work remotely for two to three months. Thinking very much about working in the Dominican Republic because (a) it's in a similar timezone to where I'm normally located, (b) it's Spanish-speaking and I just spent the past five weeks studying Spanish in Ecuador, (c) I'm used to the Caribbean climate.

I'm looking for some help in choosing a place to stay in DR. My needs are very different from your average tourists' since I'll be there for so long, and since I'll be working full time--so for example, I care a lot more about access to good gyms and supermarkets than I do beaches and hotels. I'll be on my own, so ideally someplace where it's very easy to meet people (locals and/or expats), preferably who won't treat me like an overflowing tourist gringo wallet.

In terms of costs, anything at or below your average mid-sized US city is fine for me. Can spend $1,000 a month on rent for a furnished apartment without a problem. Reliable internet access is a must. If there happen to be any rent-an-office places like you see in big cities in America that'd be very helpful so I wouldn't be stuck working out of my housing every day.

What else can I say about myself... I speak halfway decent Spanish, 28 and male, used to the Caribbean. (Suggestions for outside DR are also welcome.)

Thanks!
You've got a PM!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
but you might also try checking craiglist housing section for short term rentals to get an idea on prices. I'm not familiar with DR, but I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and visit it often. It also offers more flights to the US than what DR does, and has pretty much everything you are looking for, gym, language, transportation. etc. However, I've heard that living in the DR is certainly cheaper. St Thomas is also a possibility.
Thanks for the suggestion, makes good sense. From the research I've done in the past few days it looks like I shouldn't have a problem hitting my price target in most places in DR.

As for Puerto Rico/St. Thomas, for tax reasons I can't work in the United States, which includes the US's Caribbean territories. Anywhere else in the Caribbean or Latin America is fair game, however.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:37 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
FYI, Puerto Rico is its own tax jurisdiction, completely outside of the US for tax purposes.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
Thanks for the suggestion, makes good sense. From the research I've done in the past few days it looks like I shouldn't have a problem hitting my price target in most places in DR.

As for Puerto Rico/St. Thomas, for tax reasons I can't work in the United States, which includes the US's Caribbean territories. Anywhere else in the Caribbean or Latin America is fair game, however.
What about the local laws regarding working and taxation in their country?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
What about the local laws regarding working and taxation in their country?
Generally speaking (and that's a big "generally") setting up a laptop in the local equivalent of Starbucks in a foreign country for a few months won't run you afoul of local immigration and tax authorities, as a practical matter. Many tax treaties even exempt short-term business visitors from local tax. It's just a problem in the US because the tax form exempting this income from tax specifically asks you to list your dates of travel to the US and income earned while there; travel dates can be corroborated (in theory) with immigration records and income (including dates of payment) can be tracked through the IRS's ability to access your bank records.

As for PR being a different tax system--that tax system only applies if you're a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico for the entire tax year, which in my system I wouldn't be. For the purposes of US exclusion income earned while working there is still US-source.

But back to the original question of where to live: I think I'm heading to Puerto Plata province. Weather there this time of year just looks a lot better than Santo Domingo or elsewhere. May end up switching to Santiago if I find myself wanting more of a city feel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.