Wiki Posts
Search

Save Our Honeymoon!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Save Our Honeymoon!

We are getting married May 7th 2011. Back in September we decided to spend 8 nights at Petit St. Vincent (www.psvresort.com). We booked flights and paid for the trip in full. Done.

Not so fast.

Nov 1st the island (its small) was sold and will be undergoing renovations for 6 months. May to Nov. BOO Better to find out now than in May though!

So it is back to the drawing board.

We want something secluded and private. Beaches, some sailing, snorkeling, and windsurfing (fairly standard non-motorized stuff). We would prefer the have a meal plan and just pay for the drinks, but are open to other options. Honestly what we loved about PSV was that there were only 22 cabins on the island.

So FlyerTalk. Help us find an even better spot!

Thanks

William and Elizabeth
www.finallyawedding.com
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:32 pm

Palm Island Resort and Saltwhistle Bay Club in the Grenadines come to mind. Used to sail down there and always stopped at both as well as PSV. Bequia is a great island but, since they put the airstrip in, is more populated.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Saltwhisle looks interesting but their website hasn't been updated since 2005. Is it still around?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
This may not be isolated enough for you but the setting is lovely. Verana in Yelapa, south of Puerto Vallarta. My son honeymooned there this past June and they loved it. www.verana.com
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Re: Verena

Really? Take a flight, find a cab, make a right by the hill w/ the sign. Wait for the boat that is at 1 or 4pm.

Also, watch out for the scorpions on your 10-15 minute walk to the beach.

Hahaha

Thanks! hehehehe
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:27 am

Try to contact them - Undine is very nice - I hope they're still there.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:46 pm

Just received Yachting magazine with a story on Mustique. I forgot all about it - you can rent a place or stay at Cotton House. Check it out!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000

Nov 1st the island (its small) was sold and will be undergoing renovations for 6 months. May to Nov. BOO Better to find out now than in May though!
Just curious...did you get your money back? I would hope so!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

@FetePerfection
yes, i spoke with they yesterday. they originally were going to refund the money to my Amex card. I didn't like this idea, but they said it was the only way. They called me back an hour later and said they would be able to send me a check. Full Refund is on its way.

@Linda VH
We have actually choose to stay at Mustique. We are doing the firefly package. 4 nights at FireFly bequa (on a sugar plantation) and 5 nights at FireFly Mustique. the only problem is they don't accept Amex. So i applied for the Continental Chase card. Gotta earn those airline miles.!

On another note American Airlines doesn't offer the direct flight anymore on our return date. So we were able to push the day out and make the layover for 22 hours in Miami. So now we land in MIA at 6:30pm, check into the W Southbeach, and then depart the next day at 2pm. That gets us home at 5pm instead of MIDNIGHT like the originally wanted.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:22 am

Most credit cards 3% for transactions in the Caribbean, even if they are charged as dollars. We have CitiOne for that reason (they don't) - Chase does charge I believe and some AMEX cards don't - be sure to check!!!!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE:

We get a phone call 2 weeks ago saying that renovations will not start until September now! So we got to keep our reservation and got a free night since we already changed our flights. Since AA now longer had a direct flight during the middle of the week we have to connect via Miami. They had an option to do a 22 hour layover so we made reservations for the W South Beach.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
UPDATE:

We get a phone call 2 weeks ago saying that renovations will not start until September now! So we got to keep our reservation and got a free night since we already changed our flights. Since AA now longer had a direct flight during the middle of the week we have to connect via Miami. They had an option to do a 22 hour layover so we made reservations for the W South Beach.
wow, what a back and forth! glad it sounds like it's going to work out for you.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Post trip update (like 6 months ago...)

Photos!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willsis...7626661927407/
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Linda VH
Most credit cards 3% for transactions in the Caribbean, even if they are charged as dollars. We have CitiOne for that reason (they don't) - Chase does charge I believe and some AMEX cards don't - be sure to check!!!!
are you saying that some credit cards do not charge for transactions?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Yes, some credit cards to not charge a foriegn transaction fee. (i think the saphire card doesn't but you will have to check).

Also, PSV handles its billing via their offices in Florida. So everything is billed in US from the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.