Wiki Posts
Search

Puerto Rico Hotel Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Puerto Rico Hotel Suggestions

Looking at taking a trip with my better half to Puerto Rico in November. Anyone have a good hotel suggestion. Looking to spend between $350 - $500/night. Preferably something with beach access. Not too overly touristy either - preferably.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
There are various

El conquistador and Rio Mar, they are away from the metro area, a bit more secluded. Rio Mar is known for its Golf course.

Most of the main hotels in PR always seem to have a "party" atmosphere in the lobby, on weekends they have live music and or DJ. Everyone dresses nice and hangs out in the area.

Any hotel in the Isla Verde area will have beach access. The Ritz Carlton, El San Juan, are the main ones. This location might be better overall as it is close to the airport, there are several restaurants along the area, along with clubs and nearby transportation.

The Caribe Hilton has mixed reviews, personally I do not like the beach in this area, same with any hotel located in the Condado area, like Conrad, and Hotel la Concha. The concha hotel is newer, and I have not visited at all. However, overall I always found the beach area in Condado (Ashford Ave) to be a little rough, rocky, as opossed to Isla Verde.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a few years ago, i stayed at el conquestedor. has gaming, and very large parrots. has a private island off shore. was very attractive property. when we were there, we were one of two very large conventions staying there. since then, the place was hit very hard with a hurricane. would check TA for comments.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Thanks for the tips. Leaning towards the Ritz right now, but still doing my homework.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I always stay at the Marriott Courtyard Resort at Isla Verde. GREAT spot right on the beach--very safe with lifeguards, police patrols, etc. To the east is a big beach park stretching down to the end of the bay, so it's basically the end of the hotel strip...makes for nicer views in that direction. The hotel has several pools and several restaurants with good (if overpriced) food, as well as salsa dancing with live music every night in the lobby--very popular with LOCALS, not just tourists. Easy to walk to lots of great restaurants in Isla Verde. Quick cab ride to the airport, quick cab ride to San Juan Viejo. Parking on site but it's not free.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Isla Verde area is solid, especially the Ritz
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:17 pm

I recommend the Renaissance hotel in Condado. You have access to the beach right behind the hotel and it is very nice.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:59 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by standingoten
I recommend the Renaissance hotel in Condado. You have access to the beach right behind the hotel and it is very nice.
The La Concha (as the locals call it) is a great hotel, but in an extremely touristy area, which the OP appears to want to avoid.

Great beach, but watch out for rip currents in the area. They've had a few tourist drownings this year.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
The Ritz is a good property overall. This one is my favorite, although it has a few issues (rooms can be good or not so great; service is excellent). For golf with a little bit of a beach off the beaten path, there is the Bahia Beach resort. The beach at the Caribe Hilton is private, secluded, and man-made, so no waves or rip-tide problems (also no surfing or scuba or even snorkeling -- it's like a large saltwater bathtub). Off the main island, there is the W resort on Vieques -- great resort, gorgeous beaches, but few taxis and little to do on the island after hours. There is a new Ritz opening up in the fall in Dorado. I understand rooms are about $1,000-$1,500 a night, but the property, if it has been updated, should be a dream.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Wow, out of my price range. I'm looking at $30-50

EmailKid
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
for that range your options are very limited

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Wow, out of my price range. I'm looking at $30-50

EmailKid
There several "off brand" hotels that can be have for about $60+ El Canario, Coqui Inn, etc. but you pay for what you get. You could also try some of the condo/studio rentals, that are similarly priced. Check on Craigslist.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:18 pm

Depending on how long the stay is you may want to spend a night or two in OSJ. Caleta 64 apartment is an excelent home base to explore the forts and the historic district. If you are looking to get away from the tourist scene there are nice beach resorts within an hour or two of SJU such as the Fajardo Conquistador or Palmas Del Mar in Humacao

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.