Wiki Posts
Search

Caribbean for under $1000?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Caribbean for under $1000?

I am looking to take my wife somewhere for our 5th anniversary. She loves the ocean. We went to Negril for our honeymoon and loved it. I am looking for a Thursday to Sunday trip in July. We can fly out of STL or MEM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by MrTheo
I am looking to take my wife somewhere for our 5th anniversary. She loves the ocean. We went to Negril for our honeymoon and loved it. I am looking for a Thursday to Sunday trip in July. We can fly out of STL or MEM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Are you talking $1k for flights only or flights & hotel?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Flights and hotel. I haven't been able to find anything.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Finding flights and a hotel for 2 at $1000 in the Caribbean might be tough even in the off season (July is hurricabe season). Try looking at Cancun or Cozumel. Not technically the Caribbean but calm blue water with some nice beaches.

www.vacationstogo.com has some all-inclusives in Cancun with flights for around $1300-1400 all in for two people.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:49 am

I'd suggest signing up at www.travelzoo.com for their Top 20 deals. Every Wednesday they come out with a listing of the 20 best travel deals for that week. You have to be ready to buy but the deals can be VERY good.

Also try www.cheapcaribbean.com

Your budget is really only allowing for $300 airfare pp and $135/nt for hotel. For a weekend in the summer (and being only a month away) flying from STL or MEM, that's really not much, especially on the airfare side. Perhaps Priceline can help with the hotel once you find an airfare that suits you.

Good luck and have a great trip. Happy Anniversary

Last edited by flyerwife; Jun 3, 2011 at 11:19 am Reason: add info
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Just a suggestions: Have you considered a quick cruise from TPA/FLL/MIA/JAX that would hit those sort of places ? Might be able to snag something cheap. Flights are going to be much cheaper within the US and might have same effect.

Cheers.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
For $1000 from Memphis, I'd drive down to Charleston or Kiaweh, SC and stay in a really nice hotel. Plenty to do there. Yes, it'll be humid in July, but much of the Caribbean is hot and humid in July.

Or I'd beat the heat and head to Michigan or Canada from STL, and book a place on a lake.

Oil is still hovering around $100/barrel now, which doesn't bode well for great deals on flights. We just booked flights to St. Thomas for our January trip to St. John. Last time we went, flights were $350-400. They are now retailing for $750-800, per person.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

go to the east or south coast of FL. that is ocean, and the carib.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:29 pm

Try Marco Island, FL - nice Marriott there & what I'm told is a nice Hilton too. We had a corner oceanfront room with double balcony that was huge and quite nice a few years ago.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: No preference
All-inclusive hotel for $19/night/person
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
go to the east or south coast of FL. that is ... the carib.
No, it isn't.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cactuspete
No, it isn't.
hey, cactuspete, you're right, but FL is about as close as they are going to get for $1000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.