Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification with Duty Free in SJU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1.3mm
Clarification with Duty Free in SJU

Well, my company is flying me to SJU for business.

Really though, the important thing is Duty Free clarification. Since Puerto Rico is considered not really "international", am I able to take advantage to duty free?

So again, priority... can I buy cheap alcohol in the duty free store, and can I pack it in my luggage and take it as carry on?

any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by United777Heavy; Mar 15, 2008 at 12:07 am
Old Mar 15, 2008, 1:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Yes you can buy duty free booze and cigarettes etc.in SJU and bring it back to the mainland. The shops know the limits, and enforce them. BUT, unlike international duty free, you take your purchases with you from the store, instead of picking them up in the jetway. SO, you can theoretically double/triple dip if you're so inclined. (Cheapest American premium cigarettes on the planet BTW, so look out for your smoking friends ).
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1.3mm
Originally Posted by braslvr
Yes you can buy duty free booze and cigarettes etc.in SJU and bring it back to the mainland. The shops know the limits, and enforce them. BUT, unlike international duty free, you take your purchases with you from the store, instead of picking them up in the jetway. SO, you can theoretically double/triple dip if you're so inclined. (Cheapest American premium cigarettes on the planet BTW, so look out for your smoking friends ).

thank-you, do you know if I can take the liquor on the plane with me in my carry-on. I hate to check luggage.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:58 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion in our Travel->Caribbean forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: B6,HH Diamond, Avis First
[QUOTE=United777Heavy;9412970]
So again, priority... can I buy cheap alcohol in the duty free store, and can I pack it in my luggage and take it as carry on? [QUOTE]

Although the previous operator of the duty free shops made exceptions, the current you is enforcing the rule that you can only purchase Puerto Rican rum if you are traveling back to the states. Other spirits are for international travelers only.

They will pack the rum into specially made bags so you can carry them on board. The bags will have twist tie type closures (that can only be cut with a scissors) so you cannot open the bags on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.