Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Best Caribbean destination for a family vacay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Caribbean destination for a family vacay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Best Caribbean destination for a family vacay

Hello,

Every year, my family takes a multigenerational family vacation sometime around March or April. We prefer to rent a house via VRBO or AirBnb.

This year we would like to go somewhere in the Caribbean. We do not want to spend more than $500/night or so on the rental so a posh destination probably wouldn't fit our needs.

Other than that, we are on the quiet side. Two members of our family are in their 70s/80s. Nightlife is not important. A beautiful and swimmable beach is key...also, accessible flights from the Eastern US / nothing super remote. Some good restaurants would be nice, though we tend to cook at the rental.

We have limited experience in the Caribbean and are a bit lost. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

TIA
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by parsara88
Hello,

Every year, my family takes a multigenerational family vacation sometime around March or April. We prefer to rent a house via VRBO or AirBnb.

This year we would like to go somewhere in the Caribbean. We do not want to spend more than $500/night or so on the rental so a posh destination probably wouldn't fit our needs.

Other than that, we are on the quiet side. Two members of our family are in their 70s/80s. Nightlife is not important. A beautiful and swimmable beach is key...also, accessible flights from the Eastern US / nothing super remote. Some good restaurants would be nice, though we tend to cook at the rental.

We have limited experience in the Caribbean and are a bit lost. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

TIA
I would recommend Virgin Gorda in the BVI. There are really nice rental homes in either Spring Bay or Nail Bay. Emphasis on beautiful swimmable beaches, and not much nightlife other than some nice restaurants.

You would have to fly into either St. Thomas or Tortola and from either of those Islands, take a ferry into Virgin Gorda.

Another alternative is St. John in the USVI. but again, you would fly into St. Thomas and take a ferry to St. John
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Barbados. Stay on the West Coast.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:38 pm

Hello,

TIA
Is that $500 per bedroom? Or for the entire rental? How many bedrooms do you need? Or are you open to renting more than one condo?

Hello,

TIA
We have visited the British and US Virgin Islands for 22 years. STJ and VG are both lovely. These are my two favorite islands and we return yearly, sometimes 2x a year.

March will be high season, villa/rental prices drop a bit in mid April.

STJ requires a ferry ride from STT (add another 3+ hours after you land on STT) and VG is reached either by ferry from STT or Tortola or via a small plane from Tortola, STT or SJU. Both islands almost require a rental car to get around. Taxis are available but will add up to the cost of a rental. On STJ, taxis are reluctant to take you on the dirt roads or too far out of town.

VG grocery stores are very basic so it would be wise to plan ahead and provision with a local supplier ahead of time. Both islands have decent restaurants.

Have you checked out Provo, Turks and Caicos? The island has lots of on-the-beach lodging options, from small hotels to mid-rise multi-bedroom condos. There are a good number of direct flights from the Eastern US. Food, in all forms, is very expensive on Provo because import duties are the country's only form of taxation but your lodging dollar goes further.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Barbados. Stay on the West Coast.
Yes!!! Barbados is fantastic! Friendly people, great service, English speaking. Barbados dollar officially is 1.98 per 1 USD, but for routine/basic cash transactions it is 2:1.

Rent a car and drive all over the island. But stay on the West Coast for the best sunsets.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:44 am

Have you considered St. Martin/St Maarten? You get 2 countries for the price of one and an opportunity to practise your French or Dutch...don't worry everyone speaks English too.

I can't give you any advice on prices, but as you are an AirBnB fan I'm sure you'll find it all listed there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.