Search

Five hours in Aruba Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Five hours in Aruba Airport

Hello all,

I got a reward ticket from South America to New England that puts me from noon to 5pm at the Aruba Airport (AUA). I wanted to know if there are any suggestions on what to do in such a short (and at the same time, long) time, and any tips for the connection. I am guessing that I will have to go through customs and immigration, particularly since the arriving and departing airlines are different, so tips on that are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:21 am

Aruba

Getting through customs/immigration usually takes only an hour or so but I would recommend a minimum of 2 hours during the week and 3 hours on the weekend. We have been to Aruba many times. A taxi into town is rather inexpensive and is only a 10 minute drive. Consider heading into town and having lunch at Iguana Joes, a cool restaurant, upstairs, with good views. Inexpensive ribs, chicken, etc. You can relax there or walk around to some of the shops.

You could also head to the beach but for an hour or so I don't think it is worthwhile.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:13 pm

There is NOTHING in the AUA airport...nothing! But as flightmedic said, you are close to the town and there are lots of restaurants to choose from. The downtown area is the most bustling spot on the island and it is definitely doable.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EP + million miler DL PL Med + million miler
We spent about 5 hours in that airport in March. Why? That's another long story. There is a fairly new terminal with some shopping and food service. It's really not too bad. Whether you go into town of hang out at the airport be sure to bring back a small amount of their coins. They have a coin that is worth about 25 US cents that is square. The kids got a big kick out of having that.

JIM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.