Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caribbean in February - from Florida

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Caribbean in February - from Florida

I am going to be in Orlando, Florida at the end of February and would like to find a nice beach vacation I could fly to on Thursday February 24 - Sunday February 27. I've never been to the caribbean, but that seems like a logical choice.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a resort deal in the caribbean? I'd prefer an island I can get to from MCO on a Star Alliance carrier (United/Continental preferred but US Airways is fine.) I know that's a lot to ask, but I though I'd throw it out there. Maybe it's an easy destination, like Hawaii is for me now.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE OR WEBSITES YOU CAN POINT ME TOO!!!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by reddirt14
I am going to be in Orlando, Florida at the end of February and would like to find a nice beach vacation I could fly to on Thursday February 24 - Sunday February 27. I've never been to the caribbean, but that seems like a logical choice.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a resort deal in the caribbean? I'd prefer an island I can get to from MCO on a Star Alliance carrier (United/Continental preferred but US Airways is fine.) I know that's a lot to ask, but I though I'd throw it out there. Maybe it's an easy destination, like Hawaii is for me now.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE OR WEBSITES YOU CAN POINT ME TOO!!!
Without checking, my gut says you will need to connect to get from MCO to anywhere in the Caribbean. If you want to stay with *A, it will mean connecting though IAD or CLT, or somewhere even further.

Because you only have a few days, somewhere not too far (i.e. less time wasted in flight) might be in order. Try GCM, NAS, MBJ, PLS. Use kayak.com or ITA to search from MCO and TPA. Kayak has a *A filter.
--
13F
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:48 pm

PS Couldn't resist plugging some airport codes into kayak. Spirit and Air Tran both have direct flights from MCO to SJU. Not *A, but cheap ($90!) and time saving.
--
13F
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
That is cheap! I did a cursory check on UA and everything was $1,000 plus connecting through IAD, EWR or CLT (as you said). I may go for a cheap airline. SJU is cheap! I just assumed being that close, it would be a great time to jump on over to the caribbean. I think it might be cheaper to fly from O'Hare. I can get to HI from MCO cheaper than getting to almost any place in the caribbean on UA.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:36 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I hate saying it (god this feels dirty)... but if you wanna do the caribbean from MCO at a reasonable price, prepare to not earn miles on *A.

From MCO, the only reasonably priced options will likely be B6 to SJU, BQN, PSE, or SDQ and FL to SJU.

However, if you're willing to stretch your definition of Caribbean (ie- countries that border the Caribbean) and cheap (ie- not), Copa flies nonstop to PTY, which is a few hours away from Panama's Caribbean coast. And IIRC, you might be able to get *A miles since they share Onepass with CO.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Getting to the Caribbean s not an easy feat. Especially from the west coast. I already had a trip planned to be in MCO in March and added on a flight to get down. SInce I was going to be on a DL ticket, that meant flying back to ATL then down to SJU. I'll be taking a ferry over to Tortola and then fly back to SJU.

Most airlines are on a set schedule of Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon service with nothing inbetween depending upon where you want to go.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Getting to the Caribbean s not an easy feat. Especially from the west coast. I already had a trip planned to be in MCO in March and added on a flight to get down. SInce I was going to be on a DL ticket, that meant flying back to ATL then down to SJU. I'll be taking a ferry over to Tortola and then fly back to SJU.

Most airlines are on a set schedule of Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon service with nothing inbetween depending upon where you want to go.
You can take a ferry from STT to Tortola (EIS), but I'd be surprised if there is a ferry from SJU to Tortola.
--
13F
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
You can take a ferry from STT to Tortola (EIS), but I'd be surprised if there is a ferry from SJU to Tortola.
--
13F

Yep, I'll be stopping in STT for a bit. No biggie. It's a nice ride.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:38 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
--
13F
You are correct. The only regularly scheduled ferries in Puerto Rico are to the Vieques, Culebra, and the Dominican Republic. Once every two weeks there's a ferry to STT.

I read in the local news though that the company who just took over the PR/DR ferries is considering a service to the French Islands as well. That'd be nice... road trip to St. Barths!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.