Wiki Posts
Search

Aruba Travel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Aruba Travel Advice

A little background first:

I've planned and booked my girlfriend and I a romantic getaway for the end of February (with points of course) for Aruba, we'll be staying at the Hyatt in a Regency Club room (hoping for possible suite upgrade) and traveling via Business on Delta. This is designed to be one of those 'once in a lifetime' trips, as I plan on proposing during the week we'll be there.

I've already told her about the trip, as I don't think a first time 'real' international trip is one of those things to spring on someone out of the blue. I've booked massages at Spa del Sol just down the beach, and have looked into having a private dinner on the beach.

We're the type that view a vacation as something relaxing, where there is no reason to be in a hurry or run all around trying to see 1000 things in a day, more about being beach bums and less about seeing every tourist attraction listed. That having been said, there's no reason not to spend some time experiencing a new place and trying to local cuisine/culture.

Keeping this in mind (and if you're still reading, thanks ) I have more than a few questions and hope I can get some suggestions/tips:

How best can I manage to get the ring to Aruba with us, while not tipping her off?

What should we enjoy from Business class to Aruba on Delta? (6 AM flight out, 1 hour connection in ATL, then 2:30 PM departure from AUA, 1.5 hour connection in ATL, home by 8:30 PM)

This being our first 'real' international trip (not Mexico/Canada, or a cruise through the Caribbean), what are the things I should make sure to prepare ahead of time and be on the lookout for or plan for?

How much cash should I bring? (Being a relatively new MS/churner, cash is an evil word, however I know USD is accepted and useful in Aruba to have)

Anything to be wary of in Aruba?

What types of activities/restaurants/attractions should we experience/explore in Aruba?

Any Aruba regulars have suggestions for places/restaurants we just have to experience?

Any and all advice would be helpful for a first time international traveler, I'm admittedly a bit nervous about the situation but am looking forward to the start of a new life together.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:50 am

I'm not a regular (only been to Aruba twice in 25 years) - but the most recent trip was only six months ago, so I'm still at that stage where I feel I know the place well!

Here are some of the things we enjoyed...:

The Atlantis submarine trip (it was pretty magical!)
Dinner at the Barefoot Restaurant (definitely our favourite)
Dinner at Pinchos (a close second)

We did a tour of the island with a private guide one day (recommended by our hosts) - her name is Maddie, and she drives around in a rusty old jeep, and she is really good fun and very knowledgeable.

We had a rental car throughout the week that we were there (we needed one as we were staying in a self-catering apartment inland) - but we saw lots of visitors travelling around by bus, and the buses looked modern and seemed to go quite frequently. I'd probably still recommend getting a car for a day or two to go exploring.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:38 pm

Get something small, 4 wheel drive, with good ground clearance. The best of Aruba is off the beaten path - and if you go exploring its likely you will find yourself someplace unpaved, asking a local how to get where you intended to go.

The ring - only potential hassle is TSA. You'd probably need a bazooka strapped to your back, or dope to wake up the dog, to get noticed by Aruban customs. Best route through TSA likely in a zippered pocket of your carry-on, definitely NOT in a checked bag.

Oh, yeah, bring GOOD sunscreen, and USE it. I've burned exactly twice in my 50+ years, and one of those was in Aruba.

Last edited by LowlyDLsilver; Oct 11, 2013 at 12:50 pm Reason: More info
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
reccomendations

For restaurants;
Pinchos. Madam Janette, Mirandi, Flying Fishbone. If you like steak one of oldest restaurants El Gaucho. Low key but good Bavaria
Auto rental makes getting to restaurants a lot easier.
You are on the best beach in Aruba.
Recommend boat tour.
Weather should be great, agree with others sun screen, because of pleasant breeze it is easy to forget to use DON'T
Have hotel make reservations for you.
Will have no trouble with Aruba customs
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arubalad
For restaurants;
Pinchos. Madam Janette, Mirandi, Flying Fishbone. If you like steak one of oldest restaurants El Gaucho. Low key but good Bavaria
Auto rental makes getting to restaurants a lot easier.
You are on the best beach in Aruba.
Recommend boat tour.
Weather should be great, agree with others sun screen, because of pleasant breeze it is easy to forget to use DON'T
Have hotel make reservations for you.
Will have no trouble with Aruba customs
Thanks for replying. As far as restaurants go, is it alright to split meals? My girlfriend and I tend to be samplers rather than have separate entrees usually.

Also, is ~$25+ a plate pretty standard? Trying to put together somewhat of a budget and figure what I'll need to set aside ahead of time.

As well, what kind of budget for cash should I have on hand compared to just using a card? I know Aruba is very USD friendly, and I'm sure POS at almost all places, however cash is necessary for tipping and for other random expenses I'm sure. Any suggestions for typical daily cash layout?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Congrats! My son just proposed in Aruba on our trip this year. We go once or twice a year.

1) Its very much like a 51st state. USD taken everywhere. ATMS dispense USD. English everywhere. CC's process in dollars-no fees.

2) We did not enjoy the Atlantis Sub. Cramped and poor circulation. Cool to say we were on a sub I scuba dive, so that may be influencing me.

3) We LOVE Jolly Pirates for a fun snorkel trip. Morning trip that includes a BBQ lunch. 3 stops. Beautiful locations. GREAT value.

4) Hans Tropic Car rental cannot be beat for price. Less than $200/week, But, only compact cars. Car with more clearance needed for Arikok national park. Paved roads, but washout gullies require some height.

5) Put the ring in a carroyon and lock that compartment with a combination luggage lock.

6) Another SUPER romantic thing is this private sunset cruise. They often offer specials that include champagne and food. Strea Charters. http://streacharters.com It is supremely wonderful. We have done this twice.

7) Flying Fishbone is great! We just got hooked on Bavaria.

8) $25/plate is doable at many places. I usually take $100.00 and get $50 1's and $50 in 5's. That takes care of the cash tipping I have to do.

Have a WONDERFUL time.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Oct 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:35 am

We did not enjoy the Atlantis Sub. Cramped and poor circulation. Cool to say we were on a sub I scuba dive, so that may be influencing me.
The second part of that paragraph explains the first part perfectly. If you've never been to the bottom of the sea it's pretty magical. If you're a regular scuba diver it's bound to be pretty boring. (I'm a private pilot so feel the same about flying in a metal tube...)
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The second part of that paragraph explains the first part perfectly. If you've never been to the bottom of the sea it's pretty magical. If you're a regular scuba diver it's bound to be pretty boring. (I'm a private pilot so feel the same about flying in a metal tube...)
I agree. That's why I qualified it. Nothing should be dismissed because I didn't like it. Just adding perspective.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
Restaurants

Restaurant specializing in small appetizer dishes is amuse, they are located in front of playa linda which is next door to hyatt. Also for romantic dinner try azzuro also at playa linda
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

3) We LOVE Jolly Pirates for a fun snorkel trip. Morning trip that includes a BBQ lunch. 3 stops. Beautiful locations. GREAT value.

5) Put the ring in a carroyon and lock that compartment with a combination luggage lock.

Have a WONDERFUL time.
Ditto on both.

My mom and her husband were in Aruba in the spring. They really enjoyed the Jolly Pirates.

Absolutely secure (and insure) the ring. A friend of our family had a small case of jewelry stolen from her carry on as it passed through the X-ray machine on the way to the belt where she was waiting for it. The Miami police basically laughed at her when she called from the airport to report it.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
Ditto on both.

My mom and her husband were in Aruba in the spring. They really enjoyed the Jolly Pirates.

Absolutely secure (and insure) the ring. A friend of our family had a small case of jewelry stolen from her carry on as it passed through the X-ray machine on the way to the belt where she was waiting for it. The Miami police basically laughed at her when she called from the airport to report it.
Thanks!

I should have mentioned, whenever we have new family or friends with us we take them on the Jolly Pirates. Always loved.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Thanks again for the suggestions. Does this have to be a 'TSA Approved' combination lock?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would look for things to do on or near the water..... the rest of Aruba is a waste of time in my opinion, nothing really interesting to see or do.
Sun, sand and sea plus maybe a bit of shopping and some nice places to eat is what keeps me entertained when I'm there.

I wouldn't count on a upgrade... the number of suites that really count, the ones with balconies, are very very limited in number.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
I would look for things to do on or near the water..... the rest of Aruba is a waste of time in my opinion, nothing really interesting to see or do.
Sun, sand and sea plus maybe a bit of shopping and some nice places to eat is what keeps me entertained when I'm there.

I wouldn't count on a upgrade... the number of suites that really count, the ones with balconies, are very very limited in number.
Good to know, thank you.

I booked with Hyatt Points + 2 free night certs from Hyatt CC. Unfortunately the reservations for the free certs had to be booked separate, in which I could not book into the Regency Club that I booked with points, but noted to be 'linked' by the GP CSR I talked to and sounds like chances are decent that I'll at least get to stay in Regency Club for the entire time. Upgrade is hopeful, however my GF is not a fan of elevators so even if we got an upgrade would be questionable if we'd take it (and being the the RC is on 8th+ I'm not sure she'll love that, but better than the alternative).
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nrdk
Thanks again for the suggestions. Does this have to be a 'TSA Approved' combination lock?
I dont think so for a carry on. HOWEVER if they choose to open it, they may cut it off vs letting you open it. I use a TSA lock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.