Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

CP birds rusting away in YXE and YYC.

Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty

The real cost of the AC/CP consolidation can be seen on the runways in several airports where the "excess" CP and AC planes sit and rust to this day. Logos are all painted off, well with one coat of paint but it is a shame to see these planes not being put to work. At YXE there are at least 15 smaller regional styled planes and the same is true in YYC.

The capacity that has been taken out of the AC system is too evident.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:25 am

Programs: AC Elite
What kind of aircraft are they? 737's F28's
Old Aug 11, 2005, 5:39 pm

F28's at YXE. No 737's.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:47 am

Why don't these planes get sold if they are not being used?
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by flaco
Why don't these planes get sold if they are not being used?
They don't make economic sense to operate. They are less fuel efficient, require more frequent maintenence and are less attractive to consumers than more recently-built aircraft. It would be extremely tough to fly them at a profit in today's market environment.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any storage costs to have these planes "parked" there?
Who pays the bill?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I have fond memories of CP F28's on RDU-YYZ and RDU-YOW, especially after the ex-BA seats went into F. But F28's are hopeless. Only about one-third of the F28's built are still flying, generally as private jets or in third-world countries. Some of CP's F28's were built in the early 1970s. There are plenty of F100's and F70's built in the 1990s that could be pulled out of desert storage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.