FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canadian Airlines Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus-403/)
-   -   Changes to Amex "discount" award tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canadian-airlines-plus/37463-changes-amex-discount-award-tickets.html)

Shareholder May 25, 2000 7:48 am

Changes to Amex "discount" award tickets

Like many of us, you may have pre-booked several tickets prior to the increase in award "prices" at the end of the year which were applied to Business Class FF seats on Cdn+. Amex Rewards members benefitted from a 10% to 15% discount in the number of points required for such tickets, so a Business Class North America was 27K rather than 35K. (The regular "price" rose to 40K in January, though was discounted to 30K under the now-defunct Amex Rewards program.)

I had to make changes to my itinerary on one of these tickets today and learned the following which might be of interest to others:

1. Any changed flights must be on CP metal. AC flights, even codeshares, cannot be used.

2. If there are any routing changes that require a re-issue (other than a connection versus a non-stop or direct flight), then this can only be done at the current "price", so an additional 13K will be deducted from your account.

Not a complaint, just a heads-up in case any of you are in the same boat.

Otherwise, I had no problem otherwise booking the domestic flights I wanted in Business Class even in July from CP's inventory on its own flights, albeit with an AC shuttle between YUL and YYZ.

ALW May 25, 2000 12:28 pm

Does this apply to "regular" old-rate certificates, or just the Amex ones? I may actually have used them all up now, but on Dec. 31 I bought three at 30k each (they were going to 40k on Jan. 1). Because I'd forgotten about the Amex discount, I failed to transfer some points, so was unable to get the 27k rate (which would have gotten me a fourth one as I had about 110k available!).

andrew

Shareholder May 25, 2000 2:01 pm

Good question, but I think they'll honour the regular old rate ones on either metal. The agent said something about "non-participating partners" when explaining to me.

I used another one of these Amex discounted business class FF tickets to bring my mother out for a trip in early April. Due to the sked changes, she was rebooked from CP flights to AC flights on AC metal even with the discounted ticket. This was, of course, before the Easter weekend melt down.

By the way, after confirming her flights with the Cdn+ agent, I directed mother to go to T2 not T3. It took some convincing of the AC check-in agent that she was indeed in the correct terminal, since her ticket folder was a Cdn one and the original flights on the ticket (they were never re-issued) were CP three-digit ones.