Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

AC Holding back Seats from CP Reservations

Old May 24, 2000, 12:04 am
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM

I'll be going back to HKG on Friday and I booked YUL-YVR-HKG through CP on discounted fare. YUL-YVR would be on CP 3111, which is AC metal, and YVR-HKG on CP metal CP 7.

CP is now telling me that the YUL-YVR segment is fully booked and I have to be waitlisted, because AC is holding the seats, and I'll get priority on the list.

Checked ITN.net/Amex Site and the flight was WIDE OPEN!!! Looks like AC is trying to fill up those seats with full fare passengers.
Old May 24, 2000, 2:35 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Since the reservation systems are not integrate yet I would imagine the two airlines treat eachother much like their other partners. They simply provide a certain block of seats they can sell however they want...

Dorian
Old May 24, 2000, 7:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
CP and AC can't just dip into each other's inventory. This is a code-share relationship, not joint marketing.

Since CP and AC codeshare on each other's flights, this means that each carrier sells the other a block of seats for a fixed price. The buying carrier then has to sell them, or take the loss, as the case may be.

All that your experience means is that CP used up all of the seats they bought from AC on this flight. AC might sell them more, if their direct sales do not move and CP is willing to buy them.
Old May 24, 2000, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
It seems like an unfortunate side effect of the airline integration when you book a flight with CP numbers, you get a certain availability, fare class and fare, but booking with AC numbers for the same flight yields totally different information. Probably not much can be done until AC/CP begin to use a single res sys. Perhaps they could find a way to do automatic "load balancing". This would be where whenever one of the airlines sells more of its inventory than the other, it automatically is allocated more seats to sell such that the load factors stay somewhat balanced. Am I making sense?

FewMiles..
Old May 24, 2000, 9:51 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Fewmiles, sure you are making sense! BUT, I think they are on a better track of moving to one system...will be more painful and costly but WAY better for the future.

Dorian!!!!!
Old May 24, 2000, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
BTW, anyone know which res system will AC and CP use to combine their operations? AC's (can't remember the name), CP's (Sabre), or a completely new one? I remember reading something about AC/CP having to "choose" a res sys but I can't remember where I saw that.

FewMiles..
Old May 24, 2000, 8:05 pm

Programs: AE
FewMiles. When computer systems are switched, CP will be changing to the AC system of RESIII. T2 and T1 will see it first.

As for what system AC will choose when their current contract is up is as yet undecided. That's too far away at this time to worry about. Right now, they both need to be working on the same system as they are currently not compatible. There will however be a link added for checkin at either carrier in the near future. Date is yet to be confirmed.
Old May 25, 2000, 1:15 pm
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Alright, got my booking finally, LGA-YUL-YYZ-YVR-HKG. This whole journey will take me at least 25 hours to complete. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif Thanks AC.

Old May 25, 2000, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I was passenger # 0001 on AC's first flight out of HKG 22DEC95. I was flying HKG-YVR-YYZ-YUL-YHZ, and my parents live about 90 minutes from YHZ.

Between leaving early to check in as #1, and the drive home at the end, it was 32 hours, door to door.
Old May 25, 2000, 9:48 pm
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Wow AC... did you keep that boarding pass?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.