Search

Automatic Upgrade on AA flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2000, 12:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Automatic Upgrade on AA flights?

I want to know is there any automatic upgrade on AA flights using CP stickers if I give my name to them when making the reservation (I am not sure if the whole thing exists or not)
I call today and ask for it. Surprisingly, after talking with many AAdavantage agents, I still have no clue at all. They seem they don't understand the system much and don't even know the CP stickers can use on AA . They also keep on saying that as CP will leave oneworld, you can take advantage of nothing from AA for being a CPlus member.
Obviously I am traveling at the end of April, so I can still enjoy the full benefit of oneworld. What I just want to know is the upgrade policy. Do I have to call 100 hours ahead or ask them to put me in the automatic upgrade list.

Moreover, can anyone tell me what's the difference in AA between mileage and points? If I am taking their Platinum Challenge program, I know they are counting points rather mileage where discount economy ticket counts for only 0.5 pts per mile, but do I still get 100% miles on my AAdvantage Account?
Old Mar 21, 2000, 12:34 pm
YYZ

Programs: AC*E
For EP, you have to call 100 hours ahead to reserve your upgrade. This is different from CP flights, where you can automatically upgrade when making your reservation.

For Gold / Club, the same upgrade rules apply as for CP flights.

For CP member, have to standby for upgrade.

Had the same experience with AA agents before. Even before Canadian was leaving OneWorld, they had little knowledge of the CP system, including entering in FF numbers.

As far as I know, on OneWorld, 1 mile = 1 point, except when you travel domestic discounted fares. That is where you get 0.5 points per mile. When you travel international discounted fares (including Canada/US fares), you get 1 mile = 1 point.

[This message has been edited by YYZ (edited 03-21-2000).]
Old Mar 21, 2000, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I guess it will take a while for AA res agents to learn CP and AA will still have a number of reciprocal arrangements for upgrades as well as for qualifying miles. According the the new Cdn+ newsletter (March/April), travel on AA will still get Cdn+ points and those points will apply towards qualification for elite levels. (This will be only former oneworld partner Cdn will give Q-points for travel on, though regular points can still be earned on Cathay, Qantas and Finnair after Cdn's June 1st departure from the alliance.)

As for upgrades, they too will be honoured. My experience with AA has been to confirm your first upgrade within the time limit for your elite status. At that time, ask the res agent to put you onto the list for the return flight(s) and these will be automatically confirmed within the appropriate time limits if space is available. As for dealing with stickers, these are handled at check-in by agents and shouldn't concern AA res agent unless to check for qualifying fare category.

As for the difference between points and miles, you should check out the AA forums. (I'm a bit confused myself.) My understanding is that they now go by points not miles for the Challenge, but have also lowered the points required for each tier. And that discounted domestic (i.e. U.S.) travel gets .5 per mile as points, but full credit for miles. I think...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.