Do I need Canadian Dollars for taxi to downtown Toronto?

Subscribe
I'm heading to Toronto next week on a business trip for a couple of days. I think I'll need money to pay the cab fare from the airport to the hotel downtown, so is there an ATM convenient in baggage claim? or do taxis in Toronto accept credit cards? I can usually get off with just renting a car and I just charge everything, but I don't think I'll be able to do it this time. What's the average cab fare to the neighborhood near the CN Tower?
Yes there is a ATM in the arrivals level. And Taxi's will take a credit card as a form of payment just advise them before. It will be a flat rate of approx $50 CAD

Taxi's will take USD but expect only a +10% exchange on the dollar.
Why take a cab for $50 or so each way, you could take the airport express to the royal york hotel for around $20?
Quote: I'm heading to Toronto next week on a business trip for a couple of days. I think I'll need money to pay the cab fare from the airport to the hotel downtown, so is there an ATM convenient in baggage claim? or do taxis in Toronto accept credit cards? I can usually get off with just renting a car and I just charge everything, but I don't think I'll be able to do it this time. What's the average cab fare to the neighborhood near the CN Tower?
US$ accepted at par. Also all cabs accept credit card. Limo is the same price or cheaper in some cases. To has fixed taxi fares by zone to of the airport
Take a Limo not a taxi. Almost the same price and taxis in Toronto are disgusting.

Watch out for the illegal Limo hustlers.

Cheers,
Sounds like if you are used to Moscow you will be ready for Toronto.
Quote: Sounds like if you are used to Moscow you will be ready for Toronto.
If you are used to YYZ, will you be ready for Moscow though?

OK, actually headed for LED, if Aeroplan eventually lets me get a seat for my wife. Big zoo. Especially departure, arrival not quite as bad. We'll probably find a way to take a train on the way out of Russia.
Quote: Do I need Canadian Dollars for taxi to downtown Toronto?

Why do Americans ask questions like this? Notice how ridiculous the question sounds with the following simple substitutions:

Do I need US Dollars for taxi to downtown New York?

Canada is a sovereign nation with its own currency. You should expect CAN $$ to be required within Canada.
Quote:
Why do Americans ask questions like this? Notice how ridiculous the question sounds with the following simple substitutions:

Canada is a sovereign nation with its own currency. You should expect CAN $$ to be required within Canada.
Chip on your shoulder? USD is widely accepted in much of Canada as well as many other countries. Of course, you likely know this already.
+1

I have come across American customers before who got upset at me because I couldn't charge USD on their credit cards...

Quote:

Quote: Chip on your shoulder? USD is widely accepted in much of Canada as well as many other countries. Of course, you likely know this already.
But not many countries where the taxi drivers will take USD even though many businesses do...
Quote: Chip on your shoulder?
More of a pet peeve than a chip.

Quote: USD is widely accepted in much of Canada as well as many other countries. Of course, you likely know this already.
Yes it is as a courtesy, but typically not by taxi drivers. What drives me nuts is the expectation of some Americans that USD be accepted everywhere.
Quote: Yes there is a ATM in the arrivals level. And Taxi's will take a credit card as a form of payment just advise them before. It will be a flat rate of approx $50 CAD

Taxi's will take USD but expect only a +10% exchange on the dollar.

I would nver swipe a debt or credit car in a cab.

It is my opinion only that most if not all of these are rigged. I would also bet that organized crime is behind the skimming fraud that affects so many gas stations.

Both cabs and gas stations are an ideal situation: employees who could stand to make a buck on the side and a steady stream of customers who are usually in a hurry.

In the GTA area there is often reports of mainstream gas stations busted for card skimming/cloning enterprises.
Quote: More of a pet peeve than a chip.

Yes it is as a courtesy, but typically not by taxi drivers. What drives me nuts is the expectation of some Americans that USD be accepted everywhere.
If the OP was a "typical" American and assumed that USD would be automatically accepted then the OP would not have even bothered posting this question.

At least he was aware of the possibility of not being able to USD and therefore asked.

When I travel abroad, I always make sure I have some USD cash on me for emergencies.
Quote: I would nver swipe a debt or credit car in a cab.

Never had a problem.

Plus, if there were one, it would be the CC's problem, not mine.