Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

How big is a 1 litre bag anyway?

Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, HBC,

We're flying to Florida in a couple of weeks. While grocery shopping today, I looked at the vast array of clear plastic baggies to try and find one that indicated a '1L' size.....nope....nada.....all I could find were bags with the dimensions listed. Unless I buy a variety and test them to determine which holds a litre, how else will I know?
Does anyone have an easier solution?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:34 pm

For our travels, we typically buy a bunch of glad ziplock bags (the ones with a sliding zipper at the top vs the ones you press into a groove) to carry a variety of crap. I think we buy the freezer bags. If we're carrying on liquids, we use the medium size. We flew out of Bellingham recently and they checked out our baggies. Didn't have any problems. As a rough estimate of size... It's big enough for me to group my camera stuff (numerous SD cards, mini tripod, spare battery, charger, etc) within my backpack.
There's a large bag that we can fit our 8.5" x 11" itinerary printouts. I'm guessing this is over a litre. The small bag is too small IMO.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It says "1 Quart" on them.

HTSC
[Sorry I couldn't help it]
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
It says "1 Quart" on them.
Does it???

Mine (bought in Canada) don't have any measurements written on them. One is a Slide Seal (bought from Dollarama, I think), about 20 cm x 20 cm. The other one is a Ziplock bag, very slightly smaller than that. Either should do.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
The ones this side of the border do, actually.

This shows 7.5" x 8", which is right around what you said, 20x20cm.

http://concierge.typepad.com/photos/...25_liquids.jpg

HTSC
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Actually went and pulled out the 1 quart bag for its dimensions -- 7"x73/4" or 17.7cm x 19.6cm. A quart is 946mL, so the 1L bag is just a tad bit larger (18x20cm).
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have these nice sturdy medium sized freezer bags. i throw the stuff in them and leave it. it is my travel pack. like the sturdy. has about 3 bottles and shave stuff in it. it is about 25% full. went through dfw, and tsa pulled the bag and said it was too big. gave me one of their idea of a 1 ltr bag. mine measures about 10"x10"(25x25 cm).

same line, they wanted to throw my hair color away because they could not read size on the label.

same line, some woman(from Sweden) had purchased half a dozen hand lotions. they were 4 oz each. the sweetheart from tsa did allow that the person could go back and check the bottles.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think I'll try and find some that are 10" X 10" and see how that works.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sea3kids
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think I'll try and find some that are 10" X 10" and see how that works.
I think that will be too big. As another thread in the AC forum was saying, CATSA was making people exchange the larger bags for proper sized ones. A 10x10 is definitely larger than the 1L size. if you pack it full and they make you exchange it, you may have to throw some stuff out.

Its crazy, but I have seen it happen!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Just purchased some baggies sized 7 1/2" X 8", and placed 1L of liquid in one. It wasn't full. I'm thinking we may have to go down to a sandwich sized bag...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:00 am

Smile TSA says 8" x 7.5"

TSA lists the size as 7.5" x 8". Sandwich bags aren't allowed if they have a flip and tuck top

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

They even supply a picture:

Apologies if the links break but I did see them there today.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:50 pm
B1

They give away bags at most security check points if they bother at all to pay attention to this goofy rule - they usually don't.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
The ones this side of the border do, actually.

This shows 7.5" x 8", which is right around what you said, 20x20cm.

http://concierge.typepad.com/photos/...25_liquids.jpg

HTSC

20 cm x 20 cm

http://www.natural-alternative-produ...images/bag.jpg
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sea3kids
We're flying to Florida in a couple of weeks. While grocery shopping today, I looked at the vast array of clear plastic baggies to try and find one that indicated a '1L' size.....nope....nada.....all I could find were bags with the dimensions listed. Unless I buy a variety and test them to determine which holds a litre, how else will I know?
Does anyone have an easier solution?
YYZ has bags available before the security line that fulfill the requirement - they are not square, like most ziploc type bags, but instead rectangular, which actually works better for me and the liquids I carry. I normally grab a spare each time I go through, so I have one for next time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.