Getting from YYZ to Downtown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from YYZ to Downtown

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Independent
No. That meeting would have to be held in the United States. That was purely as a recommendation.

In the end, though, I am only really saving $15, and then have to deal with the whole getting the card ahead of time factor. If i do use it for transit purposes, you have to put in $0 at a time, which means that I will likely have to put on more than I need and then have a useless balance sitting there - I may not be back to Toronto for years. In the end I have always considered those pre-paid cards with minimum deposits more of a scam than a benefit.

I don't know where i am staying yet. Will be downtown somewhere, not sure where though. Transit will play a part in that decision.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Cloudship
No. That meeting would have to be held in the United States. That was purely as a recommendation.

In the end, though, I am only really saving $15, and then have to deal with the whole getting the card ahead of time factor. If i do use it for transit purposes, you have to put in $0 at a time, which means that I will likely have to put on more than I need and then have a useless balance sitting there - I may not be back to Toronto for years. In the end I have always considered those pre-paid cards with minimum deposits more of a scam than a benefit.

I don't know where i am staying yet. Will be downtown somewhere, not sure where though. Transit will play a part in that decision.
If ease of airport access is important then look for the hotels close to the King/Queen street. Some even have access to the underground pedestrian mall which takes you right to the train platform which might be handy on some days in the winter.

I have also seen arriving passengers talking in the limo line to see if there is someone going to the same destination about "sharing" the ride to cut cost.

Luggage plus bus192 and subway during rush hour is not a good combination.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Cloudship

You can use the card to enter the subway at most (but not all) stations, too. You can load it with a credit card. I actually prefer this because it makes expense reporting much easier than trying to get reimbursed for a $3 cash fare.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by eigenvector
You can use the card to enter the subway at most (but not all) stations, too. You can load it with a credit card. I actually prefer this because it makes expense reporting much easier than trying to get reimbursed for a $3 cash fare.
Going to Courtyard Marriott Downtown in January as the OP wanted years ago. I think with $6 return I would not even bother putting that into the travel expenses. I'm wondering if the new Train would be significantly faster than taking all TTC with airport rocket. Also, if weather is not nice it might not be a fun hike up Yonge from Union Station to the hotel.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:15 pm

I've actually done some calculations and often it will be cheaper to fly to YTZ in stead of YYZ.
Tickets to YTZ are often 20$ more expensive for a roundtrip (at least, from YUL), so you gain that by not paying 2x a 30$ train ticket from/to YYZ.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Just take the TTC 192 bus from the terminal. Semi-express to Kipling subway station, free transfer through the TTC system. $3.
I think that's what I will do. Is there a ticket booth at the airport or do we need to find $3 in change for the bus driver?
How about for the way back, is there a transfer slip when I buy a ticket at the subway?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Merlin666
I think that's what I will do. Is there a ticket booth at the airport or do we need to find $3 in change for the bus driver?
How about for the way back, is there a transfer slip when I buy a ticket at the subway?
There's a ticket vending machine in terminal 1, on the lower level just inside from the bus stop. It's a red machine that looks like a parking permit dispenser. I don't recall seeing one inside terminal 3.

The 192 bus stops inside fare control at Kipling Station, so you don't need to show a transfer when transferring between bus and subway in either direction.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a note: TTC cash fare effective Jan 1, 2016 is $3.25. ($2.50 US?)
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:19 pm
B1

The UP Express is much nicer and somewhat faster. There's a two for one sale on as well. If you take it YYZ-Bloor, the fare is about half. You then have a much shorter subway ride but you still have to change at Yonge. If you are adventurous and cheap, try the 52A from YYZ to its last stop at Lawrence station on the Yonge line so you won't have to change subways. Or you can take the hourly GO bus to Yorkdale and the same subway. You should always take a transfer with you because some streetcar lines require proof of payment. You get a transfer when you pay your fare on the bus or subway. Many subway stations have an enclosed bus station so no transfer is needed - but some don't. To make things more interesting the older streetcars are like buses, where you pay into a fare box by the driver. On the new Flexities, you have to go in by the second door and deal with a machine that accepts all manner of payment and gives a receipt as a transfer and proof. Except if you pay by ticket, which you insert and the machine stamps. Or Presto card, which you wave past a receiver.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
YYZ to St. George; back to Pearson

I land at YYZ from Newark and need help finding the UP Express ticket vending machine at Pearson.
I *may* buy a round trip ticket at Pearson after landing there on the way to the Intercontinental Hotel Yorkville (St. George.)
On the outbound/return I might need help finding my way to terminal 1 at Pearson for a flight to Newark.
I don't find the following questions dealt with to my complete understanding on any of the UPE websites:
(1) Exactly WHERE does the UPE drop one at Pearson in relation to terminal 1, and how to get from that dropoff point to the United check-in counter?
(2) Who or what collects the UPE ticket WHERE, thus admitting one to enter the UPE?
I will have a sport tote (9 x 11 x 15) shoulder bag, so dragging luggage is not an issue.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by dcutcher
I land at YYZ from Newark and need help finding the UP Express ticket vending machine at Pearson.
I *may* buy a round trip ticket at Pearson after landing there on the way to the Intercontinental Hotel Yorkville (St. George.)
On the outbound/return I might need help finding my way to terminal 1 at Pearson for a flight to Newark.
I don't find the following questions dealt with to my complete understanding on any of the UPE websites:
(1) Exactly WHERE does the UPE drop one at Pearson in relation to terminal 1, and how to get from that dropoff point to the United check-in counter?
(2) Who or what collects the UPE ticket WHERE, thus admitting one to enter the UPE?
I will have a sport tote (9 x 11 x 15) shoulder bag, so dragging luggage is not an issue.
Thanks in advance!
UP drops at Terminal 1. Follow the signs to the train station and then back into the terminal. It's well marked in both directions and not a long walk.

There are ticket machines on either side of the entrance to the UP station. You can't miss them. You can also buy the ticket on the train if you miss them.

If you want you can buy the tickets in advance. You get a printable ticket in your email and they are good for a year.

https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Tickets

I live about 40 minutes west of Pearson and I've started using UP to go into downtown Toronto for sporting events or business meetings. It's more convenient than GO and faster than the nightmare that is otherwise known as Toronto traffic.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Going to need to get from YYZ to Hyatt Regency (4 passengers).

Is taxi $53 flat plus tip? Any baggage fees or fuel surcharges?

How's Uber as an alternative?

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:58 pm
B1

Originally Posted by seawolf
Going to need to get from YYZ to Hyatt Regency (4 passengers).

Is taxi $53 flat plus tip? Any baggage fees or fuel surcharges?

How's Uber as an alternative?

Thanks.
Call 1(800) 465-3434 for a quote from Aeroport Taxi (ask for a taxi, not a limo). You can call them when you arrive and arrange to be picked up where they tell you. Uber is not allowed to pick up at the airport AFAIK. The Hyatt is in walking distance of Union Station. So you could use the UP Express and avoid traffic and walk to the Hyatt (former Holiday Inn). For four people the taxi is cheaper.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are going from Airport to Hyatt during rush hours the train would be a much faster way.

Uber pickup is possible at the monorail stop at the extended parking if the driver is willing.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Uber app is allowing pickups at YYZ. It even ask you to confirm terminal and door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.