Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much duty would one pay on a $40 dollar bottle of scotch in Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

Saw a great deal on 2 bottles of Single malts for $80 bucks last night at ORD, but I didn't get it because Canada customs allows only 1 bottle to be brought in duty free. Does anyone know how much would I have paid for the second bottle at YYZ had I purchased it? The woman at the duty free was telling me it shouldn't be no more than 5 bucks, but for some reason I didn't buy that story.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:21 pm

I brought in two bottles of wine over my exemption a few weeks ago - declared at $20, got nailed for $13 a bottle in duty/taxes.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:48 pm

> I brought in two bottles of wine over my exemption a few
> weeks ago - declared at $20, got nailed for $13 a bottle
> in duty/taxes.

That's interesting.

A few months ago I did some internet searching and asked in various forums how much Canada Customs charges for alchohol that exceeds your personal limit. Canada Customs does not seem to publish duty rates for alchohol anywhere.

Some second-hand reports was that the duty rate beyond your personal limit was something like $1 per ounce, meaning the typical 40 ouncer (1.14 liter) bottle would set you back $40 in duty, and it didn't matter if it was wine or liquor and it didn't matter what you paid for it.

I would imagine that Canada Customs mostly doesn't bother with the rare situation of someone bringing in 1 extra bottle above their limit, maybe even two. I've done it, and have never been asked to pay.

Anyone else have to pay? How much?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...d2-3-6-eng.pdf

See Appendix B. It's been linked to here in the AC forum many times over the years.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
I believe it's roughly $12/litre of absolute alcohol. That's 200 proof US. Most single malts are 40-45% alcohol, and I assume the duty is pro rated.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:52 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joe Airman
Canada Customs does not seem to publish duty rates for alchohol anywhere.
But the CBSA does:

http://www.CBSA-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com.../menu-eng.html

In addition, there may also be provincial assessments.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:53 pm

Just call your local Customs office (or visit one at the airport) and ask for a "TEPS" rating, they'll give you the exact D&T.

And yes, it is pro-rated based on alcohol content... hence the duties on a bottle of wine are much cheaper than a 26'er of JD.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
The duty one pays at Customs is different between each province. For Ontario, it's approx. 59.9% provincial tax plus the 5% gst. There is no actual 'duty' for the item, it's just outrageous provinical tax. But that's for a spirit. Wines/beer are signifigantly less, however still expensive.

The 59.9% is determined through a pro-rating system between literage and price. So for example, you're bringing back a litre bottle of 10 dollar rum from Jamacia, it would still cost about 40 dollars in taxes owed if over your exemption.

There is a loophole though, and it's not well known. You only have to pay provincial tax if you're arriving in the province in which you live. So if you live in Alberta but are going through customs in Toronto, declare all your alcohol since you will only be paying the 5% GST. Now mind you... you're 'supposed' to go to your own liquor board when arriving in your province and pay the taxes there...

If anyone else has any customs/immigration questions, feel free to ask... I'm somewhat of an 'expert' you could say

Last edited by Phrantic; Feb 28, 2008 at 8:10 pm
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Don't mean to be repetitive, but the answer to the question is found here

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...d2-3-6-eng.pdf
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by Phrantic
Now mind you... you're 'supposed' to go to your own liquor board when arriving in your province and pay the taxes there...
I didn't know that. Will do it next time I bring 4 liters into Toronto en-route to AB/BC or wherever I may live.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Just called Customs Canada (1-800-461-9999)

For a $40 bottle of Scotch, a resident of Ontario will be paying $46 dollars on top of it, which comes out to $86 in total !! yikes!!!

Originally Posted by Phrantic
The duty one pays at Customs is different between each province. For Ontario, it's approx. 59.9% provincial tax plus the 5% gst. There is no actual 'duty' for the item, it's just outrageous provinical tax. But that's for a spirit. Wines/beer are signifigantly less, however still expensive.

The 59.9% is determined through a pro-rating system between literage and price. So for example, you're bringing back a litre bottle of 10 dollar rum from Jamacia, it would still cost about 40 dollars in taxes owed if over your exemption.

There is a loophole though, and it's not well known. You only have to pay provincial tax if you're arriving in the province in which you live. So if you live in Alberta but are going through customs in Toronto, declare all your alcohol since you will only be paying the 5% GST. Now mind you... you're 'supposed' to go to your own liquor board when arriving in your province and pay the taxes there...

If anyone else has any customs/immigration questions, feel free to ask... I'm somewhat of an 'expert' you could say
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The answer is $0. $40 scotch, who'd buy that nasty stuff?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
The answer is $0. $40 scotch, who'd buy that nasty stuff?
Sounds like you are one of those that are happy to pay $90 bucks for the same bottle at the LCBO
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
So if I buy a bottle of Scotch whiskey at the duty free at JFK prior to boarding my flight to Halifax, my duty would be ???

I'm a US citizen.

Is it worth taking my own tipple along for the trip?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
So if I buy a bottle of Scotch whiskey at the duty free at JFK prior to boarding my flight to Halifax, my duty would be ???

I'm a US citizen.
Still allowed 1.14l of liquor so none if it's under the limit.

Is it worth taking my own tipple along for the trip?
If you usually and can drink the whole thing, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.