FYI: Current Southbound Peace Arch (YVR) border delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Returning through the Peace Arch crossing last night after a 10:15 p.m. arrival in YVR we were surprised by a 30-minute wait around 11:00 p.m. I'm not complaining about the relatively modest wait but noting that traffic currently is being narrowed down to one lane and last night only two booths were open. Drivers in the NEXUS lane have to merge into the single lane as well. In fact, driving down that lane could lend itself to successful queue-jumping at the moment.

The two radio station traffic reports reported widely varying and inaccurate info and the sign over Hwy #99 honestly reported "no information available." There is a warning on the CBP site.

I'd suggest for the moment that the Pacific Border crossing ("truck crossing") is the safer bet, as of course it often is anyway, noted in earlier threads.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Was this on Saturday night? If so, I am surprised that there was a wait at that time of the night unless each vehicle was being inspected that required minutes, or there was some concert or event (though probably not the Lions-Stampeders CFL game) in Vancouver that was attracting visitors from south of the border and produced a rush southbound that late. Pacific may not be much better as lanes may be down to 1 or 2, too but perhaps less traffic for those not familiar).

I did notice driving down to White Rock last Thursday that the wait time for Peace Arch was missing.

What stage is construction at? I haven't crossed for over 3 months.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Was this on Saturday night? If so, I am surprised that there was a wait at that time of the night unless each vehicle was being inspected that required minutes, or there was some concert or event (though probably not the Lions-Stampeders CFL game) in Vancouver that was attracting visitors from south of the border and produced a rush southbound that late. Pacific may not be much better as lanes may be down to 1 or 2, too but perhaps less traffic for those not familiar).

I did notice driving down to White Rock last Thursday that the wait time for Peace Arch was missing.

What stage is construction at? I haven't crossed for over 3 months.
Yes, it was this past Saturday night just after 11:00 p.m. We'd just returned from a UA MR YVR-DEN-MSP-SFO-YVR for $80 each plus taxes.

If you check out the video here, you'll see that the big merge is still in effect as of the date of this post.

Coincidentally, one of our grandsons and his dad attended that Lions game but the lineup was nothing to do with that - it looks to me as if one of the old buildings there is about to be demolished and there's no room at the moment for more than two open booths - in fact, the official on the right used his flashlight to signal drivers into the lane marked NEXUS.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Fredd is right. Non-Nexus traffic is bottle-necked into one lane, in which it forms another combined lane with Nexus just before you hit the US Customs building.

However, for this Nexus holder, it took me all of 5 min to get through the Peace Arch on a holiday Monday at 9 am. ^
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
Coincidentally, one of our grandsons and his dad attended that Lions game but the lineup was nothing to do with that - it looks to me as if one of the old buildings there is about to be demolished and there's no room at the moment for more than two open booths - in fact, the official on the right used his flashlight to signal drivers into the lane marked NEXUS.
Well, that and what appears to have been a Van Morrison concert. You often only find one booth open at night anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Well, that and what appears to have been a Van Morrison concert.
That was Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.