Renting cars in the U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting cars in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
To give an example of how archaic this legislation is, if you take an Alaska cruise from Vancouver and stop in Skagway for the day and rent a car, you as a Canadian will not be allowed to drive across the border to the Yukon (about 10km away) in a car with Alaska plates, while your American or European friends in board are free to do so. You can't get from Skagway to anywhere else except through the Yukon...

The car rental companies have large signs in the rental office warning about this, and we were told it was enforced.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:58 am

Car Rentals

Just one more thing to thank Brian Mulroney for, since, under NAFTA, there is absolutely no reason for this asinine requirement, one that is a Canadian government requirement and which cannot be blamed on the Americans. Since this is a combined transportation and border security issue, it doesn't even cost a stamp for FTers to send their comments in to Lawrence Cannon and Stockwell Day.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually, this has nothing to do with transportation or border security. It is a customs issue.

Last edited by YOWkid; Jul 2, 2007 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Actually, this has nothing to do with transportation or border security. It is a customs issue.

Note: my bolding
Which now unfortunately is part of the greater "Customs and Border Security Agency". So, in effect, you are dealing with Border Security. Bureaucracy at its finest?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't know of a department called Customs and Border Security Agency. It's called Canada Border Services Agrency: www.cbsa.gc.ca.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 1:49 pm

Cbsa

And CBSA is under the overview of Stockwell Day's ministry, hence, he is the Minister one should write to, no postage stamp necessary, to express your displeasure.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by YOWkid
I don't know of a department called Customs and Border Security Agency. It's called Canada Border Services Agrency: www.cbsa.gc.ca.
I stand corrected on the minutiae, though my point remains the same. They are responsible for customs and border security. So you are dealing with the same agency...

Though you probably know the answer better than I, weren't they separate agencies before? CCRA and Immigration?

As to the OP question: It seems anecdotally that people are able to cross in US-plated cars; but the rule is to not allow it, so I wouldn't risk it. What will you do if you arrive at the Peace Arch and they turn you around to drop the car off back in the USA? I second the opinion that if you disagree with the rule, write to the ministers responsible; at the very least you would get an answer as to WHY it is not allowed.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You are dealing with CBSA, yes, but the point is that the issue is not a border security issue but a customs issue.

Immigration and Citizenship Canada is still a standalone separate government department.

CBSA is an agency under the Public Safety Canada portfolio that has been delegated responsibility for executing CIC powers on the front line. CBSA has also been delegated the responsibility for putting into force customs and tarrifs.

Customs used to fall under the purview of the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency but this changed a few years back. CBSA got the responsibility of administering customs and the Canada Revenue Agency became solely responsible for taxation.

And actually, at the end of the day, Finance Canada is responsible for coming up with Canada's tax laws, including customs, excise, tariffs, and duties. CBSA and CRA execute them.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billybob123
As to the OP question: It seems anecdotally that people are able to cross in US-plated cars; but the rule is to not allow it, so I wouldn't risk it. What will you do if you arrive at the Peace Arch and they turn you around to drop the car off back in the USA? I second the opinion that if you disagree with the rule, write to the ministers responsible; at the very least you would get an answer as to WHY it is not allowed.
You're right; I am not taking any chances. I have booked with National and have made arrangements with them to make sure I have a Canadian plated car available for me. They told me it's not guaranteed but they will do their utmost best to have that for me.

Thanks again everyone for sharing their experiences and advice.

Last edited by YOWkid; Jul 2, 2007 at 4:36 pm
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:10 pm

Legislation is here for those who care.
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d2-4-1/d2-4-1-e.html

I was busted on this getting into BC at Aldergrove with a WA-plated car. Switched drivers such that the person 'importing' was an Australian. Of course, the customs officer had to admit that once we were inside Canada there was nothing wrong with me driving... Pure craziness.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:10 am

Programs: Qantas FF
Originally Posted by robsawatsky
Interesting, AVIS has a specific policy that reads:

"Due to Canadian law, a Canadian resident is restricted from driving a US owned vehicle into Canada."

And specific to the Seattle location:

"Due to Canadian law, customers with a Canadian driver's license planning to cross the border to Canada in an Avis car can rent onlycars with a Canadian license tag. If the car has a U.S. license tag, customers with a Canadian driver license cannot take the car intoCanada."
Lucky for me I am a long way from Canada

I have to say it's quite bizzare that I can but a Canadian Citizen can't.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:43 am
ALW

Canadian resident, not Canadian citizen. I too don't see why.

=aw
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ALW
Canadian resident, not Canadian citizen. I too don't see why.

=aw
As a resident, you would be considered to be importing goods your bring with you when re-entering Canada. As a non-resident (i.e tourist) any goods for your personal use would be allowed for temporary entry or for consumption during your VISIT to Canada.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by TravelWorldRadioShow
Just one more thing to thank Brian Mulroney for, since, under NAFTA, there is absolutely no reason for this asinine requirement, ...
Incorrect, there are very specific rules in-place under NAFTA for automobiles. Try importing a US vehicle into Canada for permanent use and you will see you can't just drive it across the border and register it without numerous possible snags. NAFTA only covers goods made in US, Canada or Mexico - many cars rented or bought in the US could be of Korean, Japanese, or various European origins. Even if made in a NAFTA area, they'd have to meet current Transport Canada requirements (depending when manufactured) and Provincial Motor Vehicle requirements to be imported and registered.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by TravelWorldRadioShow
And CBSA is under the overview of Stockwell Day's ministry, hence, he is the Minister one should write to, no postage stamp necessary, to express your displeasure.
Or, you can email him. Email on his website: STOCKWELL DAY. I know he responds, because I emailed him earlier this year. He responded to say that I should contact Peter MacKay (it was regarding extending 5 year passports to 10 years - MacKay said no dice).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.