Where to buy a 'Pay as you go' SIM in Vancouver or Whistler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Cent, PC Royal Amb, Hertz Pres C, *A Gold, *Wood Gold, Hilton Gold, BA, KLM, Marriott,

Hi,

I'm heading to Wistler and Vancouver for a few weeks in April for a wedding. While I'm there I thought I'd try and get a 'pay as you go' SIM for my mobile phone.

Can anyone suggest a good place to get this either at the airport or in Whistler and what this is likely to cost? (Also, which network is best)

Thanks,

Phillip

---
Lily Blossom TV - http://www.lilyblossom.co.uk/tv/

A video podcast featuring exciting new products for you, your home and your garden.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:18 am

Never been to Wistler or Vancouver... but am a frequent visitor to other parts of Canada and own a Fido prepaid SIM (which I keep topped up so as not to lose my number).

You will find a list of Fido outlets somewhere on the Fido web site - www.fido.ca
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Hi. I've considered getting this for a while now. Canada (and US) works differently than in Europe where they'll give you those SIMs for free while you pay some for the minutes. In Canada they also charge 50 CAD for the SIM card itself. It might not be worth it... Telus doesn't have SIM technology, so you must try Rogers Wireless or Fido.

New Vancouverite
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by sjefenole
Hi. I've considered getting this for a while now. Canada (and US) works differently than in Europe where they'll give you those SIMs for free while you pay some for the minutes. In Canada they also charge 50 CAD for the SIM card itself. It might not be worth it... Telus doesn't have SIM technology, so you must try Rogers Wireless or Fido.

New Vancouverite
It depends on the number and type of calls you make/receive. If you receive a lot of calls it's worth it just for the saving in inbound roaming charges. If you make a lot of local calls it's definitely worth it.

Rogers and Fido have now merged their networks (though they are still using separate identities - or they were last month).
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Cent, PC Royal Amb, Hertz Pres C, *A Gold, *Wood Gold, Hilton Gold, BA, KLM, Marriott,
Looking at their website it's $25 for a SIM so I'll probably pick one up when I arrive.

Oh yes, any idea what frequency fido uses, I have a Nokia 9300.

Thanks!
Phillip
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:24 pm
isi

According to their site, Fido uses the 1900MHz band.

http://www.fido.ca/portal/glossary/g...y.jsp?filter=F

However, now that Rogers has bought them maybe you can also use their network? Someone here may know or you might check out:

the Howard Forums Fido board

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.