Wiki Posts
Search

Confounded by Via Rail Canada Website Train Status App

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Confounded by Via Rail Canada Website Train Status App

I can't seem to check on the departure status of Train 2 from Vancouver east on any scheduled date. The app says no such train exists.

When I try to set up an alert for an upcoming trip, I start by specifying the date and Vancouver and am told that there are no trains leaving Vancouver that day. Impossible.

Anyone else experienced this? Even better, anyone have a sense of whether those trains have been leaving as scheduled?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Without looking at the app, I wonder if it lets you enter the date as a series of numerals. If so, remember that like most of the world, Canadians follow the logical practice of entering dates in Day/Month/Year format. Thus today is 16/8/2017.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I had the same issue, seems to be on the 2 as it's shown other trains when I have searched for them
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I believe only corridor trains are shown, not trains 1/2.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:13 am

http://tsimobile.viarail.ca has the data for all the VIA trains. If you're actually getting onto one of the non-Corridor trains, verify with the call center, and keep in mind that they can make up time.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Anyone else experienced this? Even better, anyone have a sense of whether those trains have been leaving as scheduled?
Train #2 usually leaves Vancouver Pacific Central Station on-time since it has more than a day of turn-around time.

This summer, Train #1 has been frequently late because it arrives the morning of its departure, is often very late, and needs some turn-around time.

Also, the train itself is frequently severely late. CN is usually to blame.

PM me if you have any other questions about The Canadian. I have taken it a number of times. The dining car meals are awesome!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:27 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Originally Posted by pitz
Train #2 usually leaves Vancouver Pacific Central Station on-time since it has more than a day of turn-around time.

This summer, Train #1 has been frequently late because it arrives the morning of its departure, is often very late, and needs some turn-around time.

Also, the train itself is frequently severely late. CN is usually to blame.

PM me if you have any other questions about The Canadian. I have taken it a number of times. The dining car meals are awesome!
Which side to reserve? This is in the winter going West. The only thing I can find on the internet says take the left side.

Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ted
Which side to reserve? This is in the winter going West. The only thing I can find on the internet says take the left side.

Thanks.
Hmmmm.. In a sleeper, you really don't reserve a 'side'. Westbound, the sleepers' windows all face north. You can hang out in the Skyline or Park cars dome section and see both north and south.

Going through Jasper westbound, most of the scenery is to the south of the train, except for Mount Robson which is North.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
So, Train No. 2 left on time and arrived only about an hour late. It's a slow roll and can't imagine doing it other than in a sleeper cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.