Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know best places to visit in New Brunswick around one week?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know best places to visit in New Brunswick around one week?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Talking Does anyone know best places to visit in New Brunswick around one week?

Hello guys,

I am intend to go to Canada particularly New Brunswick in this November. Does anyone know where should I go to visit and try some special cuisines in this province in one week? Thank you so much
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Take a heavy coat, boots, gloves, and a warm hat.

Welcome to FT!
tweener_spin likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Assuming you'll be hitting Moncton, PEI is worth a trip across the bridge for a day, even though much of it will be boarded up that late in the fall. I have driven most of NB, can't say that I've ever been really drawn to any of it to be honest. Are you young/old, with or without kids? If you have kids, Magic Mountain if open that time of year is worthwhile. Grand Falls has the covered bridge and a zipline across the gorge and the Bay of Fundy tides if you get a nice day. I hear the north shore is nice to take in, that's the only area I haven't been.
tweener_spin likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have only been in the summer. I found hiking in Fundy National Park to be pretty amazing. Could be brutal for hiking in November though. Another really interesting place was across the Bay of Fundy on the bayside of Nova Scotia, a place called Joggins Fossil Cliffs. When the tide goes out, the beach rocks and the cliffs are filled with fossils. It really was unique. I found St John NB a nice town to spend a couple of days in. I stayed in a Hilton on the waterfront.
tweener_spin likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC P25
Hopewell rocks is interesting if you like outdoors.
Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton each have their charms.
Up the Saint John valley like Woodstock is a lovely area as well. Low on blockbuster sights but a nice place.
tweener_spin likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to all of you guys.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by tweener_spin
Many thanks to all of you guys.
No worries...I forgot to mention my favorite food spot in NB - Captain Dans for fish and chips on the wharf in Shediac.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
No worries...I forgot to mention my favorite food spot in NB - Captain Dans for fish and chips on the wharf in Shediac.
Could you tell me how does it taste? I want to try it.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:47 am

Could you tell me how does it taste? I want to try it.
Deep fried goodness, lol. A beer with fish and chips in the open air on a shared picnic table type setup, nothing close to a five star restaurant but a great spot.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question where in NB?

IME, food is not an NB speciality. In season, you can get fiddle heads, fresh lobster and mussels - but Nov is not in season. The southern part of the province is anglo/Loyalist while the north (incl. YQM) speaks a French patois. For specific activities/rests, I suggest you post more details on where you are visiting?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
New Brunswick isn't a terribly exciting place at the best of times. It's alot like Maine. In the summer, there is plenty of outdoorsy stuff, but it could be too cold in November (there likely won't be snow yet but definitely not beach/eating on the patio weather). Also, most of the leaves will be off the trees by then making scenic drives alot less scenic.

If it were summer, I'd recommend a trip to PEI but most of the "quaint" tourist areas close after labour day. However, the capital city of Charlottetown would still be a nice place to visit at that time of year since it is much less seasonal than the rest of the province. Charlottetown is only 2 hours from Moncton, which isn't much further than going to Fredericton or Saint John, but you have to cross a $46 toll bridge.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Deep fried goodness, lol. A beer with fish and chips in the open air on a shared picnic table type setup, nothing close to a five star restaurant but a great spot.
It sounds pretty awesome, I like it so much.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Other than stuff mentioned like Hopewell there's a place about 50km from Bathurst, an Acadian village which goes over a few centuries that is interesting though massively out of he way. I did it in a morning then drove to PEI, which is a 6h drive (to Charlottetown).

The other end down the bottom you can do a day trip to Campobello from Saint John but ferries may be challenging in November. If you go thru Maine isn't a longer drive but I believe it's then a bridge...
For a cheaper but still decent stay the Holiday Inn in Saint John was very good, best HI I've stayed in, amazingly fast checkin, pool and hot tub, plenty of parking etc... Hilton has a better location but is a lot more expensive.

Be careful especially up north, restaurants like to close early, like 7pm. Same issue around Cape Breton. Moncton will have places with longer hours.
tweener_spin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

It seems that November may not be an ideal time to travel in NB even though the weather is not too cold in this month.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It seems that November may not be an ideal time to travel in NB even though the weather is not too cold in this month.
Heres the thing, I've had weeks in November when it's been above freezing. Couple of years ago it averaged -20c one week - and that's Toronto which tends to have far better winters.

So November is a risk. Personally I'd steer clear of the maritimes outside of June to Sept, and even the ends there can be rather snowy especially further East. I normally aim for July and August.

Of course, PEI especially has a huge number of Mosquitos in the summer. And I don't generally react to them anywhere but PEI. Something about them there.

If I go on vacation in November, I head South. Be that the US, South America, Australia etc...
tweener_spin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.